• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel to Relaunch in 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
getumbuck wrote:
So will Toku be a new station that no longer airs Funimation shows? I'm just a little confused by all this is all. Funimation says its "relaunching" the Funimation Channel. So will both the Funimation Channel and Toku be two separate networks?

Toku will not be affiliated with Funimation. The promos for the channel only showcase Media Blaster content.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
This is strange. Is a cable channel even necessary these days? Do people not realize how convenient it is to just use Funimation's streaming service? It's also very cost effective considering that a year's paid subscription costs as much as a DVD set.
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
bad BAD IDEA!

This should have been an ON-DEMAND sat/cable channel and put all their titles for browsing!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Brian_FTP wrote:
This is strange. Is a cable channel even necessary these days? Do people not realize how convenient it is to just use Funimation's streaming service? It's also very cost effective considering that a year's paid subscription costs as much as a DVD set.

With cable I don't have to worry about buffering or about my HD quality dropping to SD quality because of various internet issues.

Streaming is only convenient when you have a fast and reliable internet connection, a quality cable modem and WiFi router, and your provider is not throttling you down.

Despite having a good internet connection and expensive cable modem and WiFi router, I still run into problems while streaming. When compared to cable you have hardly any problems.
Violynne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is FUNimation thinking.

What are they doing to do next, release anime songs on 8 track?

Waste of time, resources, and money.

Must be nice to have such a surplus to blow on stupid crap like this, rather than enhance their products and services to a higher quality.

When it fails, I'm sure they'll have their PR people ready to point out the failure was due to piracy.

Again.
Rolling Eyes
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
With the rise of their streaming service and simuldubs I wonder if re-vamping and re-releasing the Funimation Channel is even worth it. I mean if you're a subscriber then what would be the point? If you have the all access pass there really is no point unless they have some sort of content that is only for the channel. At which point that's going to probably piss people off that they have to pay for the streaming service and then the cable channel to get all the content from Funi.

If the Funi channel shows all their shows dubbed (when they have one) then that negates the point of subscribing to their streaming service. Even if they run sub titles only it still will make getting the sub only streaming package pointless. I just don't see how this is going to not wind up being a mistake given their streaming service they already have. Unless they're going to air shows from other companies on the channel. Which would then beg the question how much are they paying for the rights to do that, and the follow up question of do they actually think they'd get enough in terms of viewership to cover those expenses.

All around this just seems to be sort of pointless at this point.
venture2000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that Funimation Channel is just going to throw away the relationships they have made with cable companies and MSOs over the last 10 years trying to get coverage (however anemic) for the linear channel.

I predict when the time comes, they are going to relaunch the linear channel on some sort of IPTV platform or merge it with their Roku channel bypassing cable companies altogether so anyone who wants it can get it. (Like Neon Alley before they sold out.) So it will be available on Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, Sling TV and game consoles.

If someone doesn't want the linear channel, they can redirect them to their subscription or video on demand service on your local cable system.

Time will tell. I guess.

Oh and one more thing- I predict TOKU TV will be a failure.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Looking back to the article, the reference to four specific states is part of the announcement by Frontier Cable concerning the channel which will take Funimation's place. The odd geographic distribution may simply reflect Frontier's purchase of smaller cable companies.

All Funimation says in the release is that they have discontinued their contract with an existing cable distributor and will restart next year. This may be based on specific plans or may be a "we'll do something" statement. We will just have to wait and see.

From what I was able to determine, Frontier is buying or has already bought all of Verizon's FIOS lines, etc. So much for then buying smaller cable companies. There is supposed to be a cut-over in March.

I read a little about the Toku channel, It is supposedly not only anime but other asian oriented offerings. Can you say Mnet (which BTW Verizon kicked off their extremeHD package bumping it to ultimateHD - whatever). I'm not sure where this will all end up, but I'm not optimistic.

In any event it's an interesting and not at all pleasant confluence of events the past few weeks, because Funi's On Demand has now disappeared completely from Verizon FIOS as well. Oh well.

@violynne: No, they are going all the way back to reel-to-reel Razz

@tarstarkas, I agree, besides I don't have a "smart tv", and don't want one (yet), so I'd be limited to the Thinkpads' monitors for viewing and even at 75Mbps it would still suck for streaming.

@NGK: There was one in FIOS, Channel 262, but verizon killed it 4 years ago, and the On Demand is now Gone Demand.
Wink
guildmaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Follow up:
Frontier now has cable / FIOS in 7 states including 3 of the 4 most populated states in the country (CA, TX and FL). The transition here in FL had been rocky at best, On demand was on hold for several days and is still not right. and we still have no Toku / Funi.

However as per Frontier's guides, the Toku channel is active in IA, WA and OR, on channel 262 (Not 263 as per the ANN article!). I don't know about on demand in those states.

What I'm hoping for is that Frontier will standardize the new states (including me here in FL) along the older states (IA, WA, OR) model. That would finally get back Funi / Toku. I'm not going to hold my breath on it.

If I could find a real contact I'd write them, but their site is worse than useless for getting any contact info. If they are publicly held, I might buy some shares and thereby get the needed contact info, but I think it is privately held.

The founder and current owner is in Texas. One would think that he'd want his channel available to cable / FO customers in his own state, but who knows???
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

With regard to this issue, the RACS newsletter of December said:
RACS wrote:
It's obvious with all the free content available these days at the click of a button that Anime itself is getting harder and harder to monetize, so companies like Funi are looking to other places for growth.

He made no specific mention of Pirate websites.
Legal streaming sites are by definition monetized (whether through ads or subscription fees), which leaves the bootleg streaming sites to be referred to as "free + not monetized." Speaking of which...

Sailor DJ wrote:
There really isn't any reason to watch anime on pirate sites now. Between Funimation, Viz Media, and Crunchyroll, you can pretty much watch any anime you want. Even Crackle has some anime shows.
I don't advocate watching on illegal streaming sites either, but "the legal sites have pretty much everything" is only true when restricted to currently-airing anime, minus Precure and the occasional Amagi Brilliant Park. If you want most shows from before ~2007 (including a bunch of Sunrise titles that are re-licensed and will allegedly come out "eventually"), or a good portion of the former Geneon/Media-Blasters/Bandai/CPM back catalogues, or a lot of pre-late-00s anime that never got picked up for R1 disc release, you're out of luck for a legal way to watch them, unless you shell out the big bucks for out-of-print DVDs.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Legal streaming sites are by definition monetized (whether through ads or subscription fees), which leaves the bootleg streaming sites to be referred to as "free + not monetized." Speaking of which...

Technically you are correct. However, you have to look at it from his perspective. Robert is in the business of selling hard copy versions of anime. From his point of view any ad supported site that potential customers can access without paying is "free". In any case, Robert has never had any hesitation of calling a spade a damned shovel. If he meant only "pirate sites" he would have said so.

Getting back to the basic issue here. I don't think we have heard anything more about this proposed revamped cable channel. Has there been any sign of a Funimation cable channel anywhere since this announcement?
guildmaster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:

Getting back to the basic issue here. I don't think we have heard anything more about this proposed revamped cable channel. Has there been any sign of a Funimation cable channel anywhere since this announcement?

There is some good news at least here in FL. TOKU on demand has appeared but with only 3 anime shows and one is really a live action spoof. But at least it is up on Frontier FIOS on demand. The regular channel (262) is still nowhere to be found in FL.

I'm hoping that folks in TX and CA can now see the Toku on demand as well, but I can't figure out Frontier's on demand offerings even here in FL.

For bad news, it looks like toonami has completely disappeared from Frontier's lists, It used to be in Adult Swim on demand, but it's nowhere to be found and I can't find anything about this online (haven't searched here on it though).
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the update, but this is an old thread. Locking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3