• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Gets New TV Anime in 2018, 35th Anniversary Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Whoa.. so much Delta dislike... Shocked

I can't say I disagree I stopped watching Delta after episode 7, never hooked me and I gave it 7 episodes just because it was Macross. So 2nd half was worse eh? looks like I made the right call. I will eventually go back and re-watch the whole thing.. can't be any worse then M7.. right???

A new Macross series is always something to look forward to..
I prefer the Original TV series as well... I liked M+, and M0. Macross 2 was Rolling Eyes ... and M7 was a chore to sit through and watch (though it picked up later on). Frontier took awhile to grow on me and I didn't like it at first.

New fans... start with Froniter! seriously then work your way back.. Macross Plus, Zero, DYRL, TV. No particular order but Frontier is a good jump in point.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Or maybe, just maybe, we'll finally find out what happened to Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay

You'll have to look to the Robotech novelizations for that. Of course, that is not canon to Macross.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
They need to focus on the military/fighter jet aspect a little more. The idol part is important, but not all there is. We need something more Macross Plus again. Even just more Frontier would be great.

Second, WE DEMAND YOKO KANNO COME BACK! Kanno was the heart of both Plus and Frontier in her music vision. They tied the shows to the characters. I listen to her work almost every day (macross and other titles)

I do have a horrible feeling that we will get Delta season 2. the last episode did leave too much hanging. it need either a movie or another season to warp things up. Prepare yourself.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, another series we'll never get because Harmony Gold are smegheads!

When will that stain of a company just go belly up already, they seriously can't have much in terms of finances...
exilekiss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
As so many have said, Macross Delta was probably THE worst Macross series ever made. Evil or Very Mad

* Awful, generic Story.
* Instead of 1 Singer, they go with a 5-Person Idol Group. Rolling Eyes
* Generic, bland Music. Just awful.
* Terrible Mecha Fights. When a 30+ YEAR OLD anime (Macross: Do You Remember Love?) has BETTER Mech Battles than this new anime, you know it sucks. Mad

* Recycled Plot Points: In the original Macross (and how many others), key "older mentor figure" dies in battle (Roy Fokker (RIP)). Shoji Kawamori and company are so lazy they recycle the same tragedy again in Delta?! Seriously? Except it was with ZERO EMOTION.

* The main hero Hayate gets into a fight with a SEA CAT. WTH?! Seriously? Kawamori, is this the best you can do?! Rolling Eyes

Easily one of the most generic, bland Anime I've seen in so long.

Macross is dead, unless they get staff that actually CARES for the series.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:

Delta has very good English subs done as far as I understand by Gwynn Campbell and a small group of native English speaking Macross fans.

Macross Plus can also be got with English subs but they're so so.

As far as I can remember the Frontier films Shudista release have English subs too. They're ok.

Thanks! I have the original Manga Entertainment OVA Dual audio DVDs of Macross Plus along with the sub only movie edition.

I'd really love to get a legit blu ray version of Zero.

I find it interesting that Gundam Thunderbolt is very akin to comparisons with Macross Plus and people prefer the more adult, military focused, less idol focused Macross in general, though the younger Japanese audiences are the main market. But considering that Gundam manages to cater specific series to various audiences, I wish Macross too utilized this strategy more.

TV series with the pop idols and colourfulness. And on the side OVA and film projects for older, more serious content and drama.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I find it interesting that Gundam Thunderbolt is very akin to comparisons with Macross Plus and people prefer the more adult,

I don't think we need as grimdark as a "Gundam Thunderbolt" macross series, but a "straight shooter" retelling like Gundam the Origin can work where it recognizes that war does indeed suck but knows when to inject moments of fun or pop music power songs (sort of like the first Macross film Do You Remember Love?).

Grimdark retelling does not make the content "more mature" and also it does not guarantee success.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Oh boy, another series we'll never get because Harmony Gold are smegheads!

When will that stain of a company just go belly up already, they seriously can't have much in terms of finances...

Well, they are a real estate company too. So if their media side is doing poorly, the other side will keep everything afloat. Robotech board games are still being sold in stores, so there is that also. And with the ongoing Hollywood interest, really they would be fools to sell.

I know it is the fashionable thing to bash Harmony Gold, but the Japanese are not exactly innocent either. It was the internal Japanese issues that brought about the problems with Harmony Gold.
Desslok

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Man, that sucks to hear that Delta was so bad. I was thinking of picking up the discs from CDJapan as I imported the Yamato 2202 discs, get them at the same time to cut down on shipping. Good thing I found out it wasn't worth it before I started picking up the series 70 bucks a shot.
vision33r

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
Kawamori will make a lot of money with Delta, because of Walkure. He makes nothing with Frontier selling just toys and DVDs and most of you Americans pirating his stuff and only buying toys.

With Walkure he has a rising idol group selling music CDs, concerts, and even more idol material.

With Frontier, May'n eventually broke contract and did her own career. Walkure will be controlled exclusively by Kawamori until the members decide to leave.

Can't wait to see Walkure perform.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He makes nothing with Frontier selling just toys and DVDs and most of you Americans pirating his stuff and only buying toys.

I take it your argument is "American watchers have no right to criticize the show because you didn't pay for it", I suppose it is a valid statement, but just as well an experience to watch any media costs the difficult to measure quantity known as "time", myself and many other viewers spent several hours to watch the events of Macross Delta unfold and it cost personal time to do so, there were many other time consuming tasks or retreats that would have likely been a better alternative than watching Delta but instead we did watch in the hopes to be entertained and engaged by a story considered worth our viewing habits.

You may continue to refer to Americans as "filthy pirating wretches" but that does not remove our unfettered willingness to state our personal opinions on a show that we did in fact observe, be they opinions of good or ill.
Ruben Browning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Delta == complete fukk up.

Mirage was one of the very few things worthwhile on the whole run. The fact they insulted her legacy and character as much as it happened, it's the most visual clue of this disaster.

And don't even begin with the shitty music...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4