• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interviews with Monster Girls (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
Oooooo, Sakie - boldly inviting out Tetsuo for a drink ... you tramp! Wink

The episode did raise a legitimate concern with respect to whether the girls had become too dependent on Tetsuo and whether it wouldn't be better for them to feel comfortable reaching out to other people. Ultimately, the episode ended on a note of, "naaaaaaah, it's all good!" which is a bit of a cop-out, but by the same token, on a completely emotional level, I like the fact that there won't be some distancing barrier between Tetsuo's and the demis.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Are we getting a beach episode next week? Sakie wearing a swimsuit? Oh my gosh!!! ooooooHHHHHH AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Yay.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if they showed anything to indicate it earlier, but I noticed this episode that the story takes place in or near Kamakura, which seems to be a popular location for this season! I've been noticing the Kamakura area quite a bit recently, probably because I spent a day there this past summer.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so I was right - I thought I saw something that looked like Enoshima in the episode. And of course you probably know why I know what Enoshima looks like...
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And of course you probably know why I know what Enoshima looks like...

Because you watched Tsuritama? Did the dance? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQBw_XrZWkw
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Incorrect! Be careful, you only have 152 guesses left.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
I know what Enoshima looks like because I was there a mere seven months ago. I'm going to guess that Blood- knows it from Sweet Blue Flowers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote
151 guesses left. (Although I did enjoy Sweet Blue Flowers. It's been so long since I've seen it, I didn't even remember that Enoshima was in it.)
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

That was actually a pretty fun episode. Sakie was an eyeful and it was funny when she was making advances at Tetsuo and even gave a "You get it?" look and Tetsuo completely missed it. The puns were funny too. And Tetsuo is a tank!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (complete)

LOL, Hikari and her white cape while trying to act like a vampire is hilarious. (I got a little Steins;Gate vibe from that)

Cute to see the girls play in the pool together. The brief moment between Sakie and Tetsuo was also amusing. The info dump about Dullahans is interesting. I like how this show always explores demi-humans in some way related to culture or ideas from the real world.

Pretty fun show overall. I liked the majority of the characters and the show did a decent job at selling its comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

The focus on Hikari in the episode actually reminds me of a topic I found out fairly interest on Early birds vs Night owls, where it has been noted that there are physical differences that can separate them. Where Early birds have an easy time waking up in the morning and are high energy at the start, yet Night owls have a hard time getting up and their energy levels increase over time, and it is something a person has little control over being, and not so much an indication of people being lazy. Recognising myself as a Night owl with certain troubles like a sensitivity to bright lights I had read that it modern society has kind of disadvantaged the night owls with needing to match the early morning expectations of early birds or moderates, and I can relate to it. It was kind of a deal for me when I realised in high school that bright lights actually sapped my energy, and at one time when I tried on sunglasses I realised that they could do wonders for me not being affected by bright lights. Sadly I really could not use sunglasses because people would think you were trying to be a poser, and adults especially would yell at you thinking that you are being stupid. Now days I practically carry a pair of prescription sunglasses everywhere as a common fixture on my head.

I was thinking about how it was kind of similar to Hikari in all of this. I was actually thinking about how I could think of an actual vampire would probably invest in tinted goggles, I have it bad enough that I imagine a fictional vampire would have it worse. And from here I think I will transition to recap what I liked about this show, the characters, I really think they did a good job at this. Hikari has been a ball of fun, I was laughing along with her as she was all being vampire, she has really brought a light to this show in a sense of fun. Machi though I think took for show as my favourite character in it, I think she is just a more direct representation of things like physical problems that the interest in monster(girls) has kind of been brought up in recent years. But her personality in now slouch either as being an enjoyable part, and the show kind of tried to say how it is linked to the things she face, crushes and all. Yuki is a bit on the lighter side, but the development she made in becoming a more positive person and her goofy side also made her quite enjoyable. I still feel like Sakie is underused, I could imagine entire story just following the challenges and like that she faces, I thought it could be an interesting look at how people can being kind of cruel and call some women things like sluts while it being totally uncalled for. And Tetsuo was a cool guy.

Thematically I liked the use on the topic, that it felt like a look at people who suffer from things like disabilities, the suffering also largely coming from how people can react or interact with them. I like monsters and all that, but it has also made me consider how maybe something being straight with the topic could be even better, which reminds me of this visual novel called Katawa Shoujo. That is a sim set in a special needs high school where the students have things from heart problems, deaf, blind, limb loss, and extensive scars, and from my experience with it is a kind of interesting set of stories of showing the human underneath the disability, and the issues they can have from reactions of others. Interviews with Monster Girls was in the end kind of a low ball in kind of only really flirting a bit of actually getting dramatic with preconceptions and really upset. Yuki's arc being one of the only real bits and it ended up being a nothing personal thing where the people causing it became friends. In a way those two girls were kind of an outsider of normal anime character asthetics, and showing them at being normal caring people despite it was their own act of what the demi were achieving in the show, kind of a Please Teach me Galko-chan way.

Sumarising the show in full for a final verdict of Very good (8/10), a don't miss it sort of good watch, but a few things like being a bit soft that prevented it from reaching much further. I think it had a number of strong or funny moments, and overall I do think that presentation was strong that I even feel a bit bad for not giving it a higher, but I compare it mentally to Kobayashi-san and think that strangely the second somehow comes out just on top. but looking up at a google image search, Hikari's antics still make me laugh a little. I want to see more, not necesarilly more Interviews with Monster Girls, but something, like how I have felt against the kind of crasser Monster Musume, more can be done with the monster girl genre, and I do think some of it can be by some fairness in having both genders.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll posted episode 13 of Interviews with Monster Girls on June 29.

Personally, I didn't think it was as good as the previous 12 episodes, but the people posting about it on Crunchyroll had no reservations about it.

After the closing credits, the episode had a short segment with an interview with an invisible girl, taken from a bonus chapter in volume 4 of the manga.

In the manga, right before the bonus chapter, it says:
The following bonus chapter, "Out of Sight—Doesn't Mind," is based on the winning entry from the "We Want More Demis!" contest run by Niconico Seiga.

Right after the bonus chapter it says:
Will invisible people appear in the main story?
Sorry, I can't see that far ahead...

Here's a link to the episode:

Interviews With Monster Girls Episode 13 – The Demi-chans' Summer Break:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/interviews-with-monster-girls/episode-13-the-demi-chans-summer-break-740201

I wonder if Funimation will dub episode 13 in the near future, since they "simuldubbed" the previous episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

I enjoyed how Himari was showing how she is so afraid of ghosts and tries to rationalise it, while her sister is a vampire. It was a nice call back in how Hikari's eyes shone in the dark to earlier. But also Himari showing similarities to Hikari in getting excited.

The ideas behind an invisible person who might not have the same thoughts of clothing is something interesting, that I have been thinking about with My Hero Academia.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
Ah, that was fun. I really enjoyed IwMG during its run and this episode was a nice reminder of what I liked. I just wish that Satou-sensei would give into her base desires and totally vamp Takahashi. He'd dig it, I'm sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5