• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rewrite season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought that the first season was too light for too long, leading to a bad end that didn't really work to establish the appropriate mood. I agree with those that said that the different routes helped to act as a buffer to the earlier common route fluff. An important thing that was missing was creepy Kagari. Failing to show this side of her failed to clue people in to the fact that what Kagari considers to be "happy memories" would be rather different than what one hearing those words would assume.

Ultimately, this is a pretty grim story. I agree with Rizu about the implications of what humanity might eventually become. Even when disagreeing with the ending, I do like the ambition of the VN, and the anime fails to transmit much of that.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Firstly, it was a large % of the online KEY fan community that said this.... it WAS a favorite to the majority of users that were doing reviews and expressing their feelings about it as a whole. Right now though, it's only barely behind Clannad and Little Busters! on vndb.org's rankings. So clearly it's loved. Anime executed it so poorly.
I know that Rewrite was better received to English speakers and I believe it was China (from what BaBa said in an interview). I also think it's because that its one of the more recent works put out by KEY that was fully translated in English. There's also less VN available to English speakers to compare with. On erogescape (HIGHLY NSFW) has a better idea of VN ranking for a better compassion. Rewrite ranks closer to the bottom of KEY's games(Angel Beats, Kud Wafter ranking lower) for best received game but improved with the Rewrite+ edition, which leads me to believe lots was improved. I look forward to reading that someday since my Japanese is a bit rusty.

wastrel wrote:
The recent adaptation of Planetarian was great (especially as Planetarian was actually a 'game' I played and enjoyed, as it had a single story thread). The point is, I like Key's anime adaptations, in general.
I'd recommend try Harmonia, it isn't as good as Planetarian IMO, but it's still enjoyable(and on Steam).
Kudryavka226

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
I usually just lurk in ANN, but I created this account just so I can leave my thoughts about this. I'm sorry that this got long.

As a VN reader, seeing your conclusion on the message of the show, I don't think you were far off in saying that they blew it. Though I'm still grappling with its ideas, the theme that I got from Rewrite in general is something starkly different from what this review and some comments here said. I believe the "fond memory" Kagari was looking for spoiler[is that of humanity's continuous survival, that life can still find a way to prosper even if the planet dies. Like, uh, inhabiting another planet. But it required great sacrifice to be able to give this kind of hope. Kagari cried in Episode 16 because she knew Kotarou was going to experience hell in the process of achieving this ideal, but if her goal is for life to prosper, she didn't really have a choice. (The implications that humanity is eventually doomed after this felt a bit of a stretch, seeing how infinitely the completed Theory stretched. Pun totally not inteded.)] "We screwed up; what do we do now?" is also a good way of putting it.

I guess it's easier to understand the theme when you read the heroine routes, since they always end with the "spoiler[LET'S SURVIVE THIS AND DON'T YOU DARE DIE]" kind of message. I think someone from VA said that the core theme of the story is the "pursuit of possibility." This is in Japanese, but I saw someone wrote about this somewhere.

Overall, I'm blaming this confusion wholly to the final episode's pacing. In stark contrast to the slow pacing of everything else before it, this part was so tightly paced (probably even a bit rushed) that almost every single line had some weight to it, and it was almost impossible to miss out on a chunk of text in it without getting screwed over. Well guess what happened.

So yeah, this really needed one more episode to be able to fully and clearly express itself. I was fine and good with most of the stuff in S2, but the final episode was handled too carelessly.

PS: I'm betting that the change in favor of getting the theme across was in Episode 13 instead, where Kotarou's refusal to sacrifice a willing Kagari kept him from stopping the world's destruction. It's not the best story, but I always believed S1 was meant to be an antithesis to Moon and Terra.

PPS: Just embrace the weirdness that is Moon Arc. :))
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2