• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does It Take So Long For Anime Movies To Come Out On Video?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolidAndrew34

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SolidAndrew34 wrote:
How would you like it if I would just make fun of something you really like or a casting choice you really and mock it on a forum?

I would dismiss it because it is silly to get upset by what a stranger is saying on a online forum.

People some times talk shit about my favorite anime company, Sentai Filmworks, but I do not take it as a personal attack.

I never said I took your words as a personal attack and I did not take it as such. What I did not like was your the tone your words reflected. There is no reason to mock the choice that Funimation made casting her it is just rude. Look at Wingkings and CandisWhite comment's. I might not agree with their argument, but at least they explained their thoughts in a friendly manner unlike you. I have always liked her in the roles I have heard. I will admit certain voice actors/actresses might not appeal to everyone or in certain tone which is sort of what Wingkings and Candiswhitesay. Again while I do not agree I still can respect their opinions because they did so in a respectful manner unlike you. Also, you haven't seen the her in the Dub so you already have preconceived notions without giving a fair chance to he performance. Also, you resort to piracy because you have no patience to wait for the official release it just goes to show how childish you can be and have acted in this discussion. Personally, I doubt you will admit you were rude you seem more content to ignore any wrongdoing on your part and you will continue to be closed minded. I will not respond again because I have said all I need to say. I will continue to enjoy Stephanie's Sheh work regardless of what you say just to let you no what you said will have no long term effects on me like you seem to think. Have a nice night.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Thing for me is that while I'm not hardcore either way about sub/dub, I have a lot of friends and family who'll only watch dubs, and this is such a fantastic movie that I want to share it with all of them, so I need a decent dub. Otherwise I might've considered buying the Japanese version, because it is going to be hard waiting that long for the US release to come out.

This dub is great: The script does not feel translated; The acting is superb; The songs sound like they were written in English.

Funimation has gone all in; This feels like a project with major talent and millions of dollars behind it.

I cannot stress this enough-If anyone you know is interested in good animation and storytelling, and can't handle subtitles, take them to see this movie in English on the big screen; They need to see it on the big screen. This is not an anime project in the sense of keychains and body pillows; This is just good storytelling and it is treated like that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like Robert wins that bet.

I remember when I was little, it'd take a year or so for a movie to hit home video after the theatrical release. Nowadays, seeing Star Wars: Rogue One on DVD and Blu-Ray being displayed on store shelves everywhere when I saw it with my mom in January (she really liked The Force Awakens and was looking forward to seeing Rogue One with me) feels like an instant.

By the way, Hollywood used to run on the tour system too, with rolling releases throughout the country. Releasing a movie everywhere at the same time didn't become standard practice until Jaws. I'm actually a bit surprised Japan hasn't done that yet, considering the absurd ease of instant long-distance communication, via phones, social media, and so forth would mean, logically, a studio would want to release a movie everywhere that people are still talking about it. Rolling releases means by the time the movie shows in certain area, it would've become yesterday's news. That's how it seems like to me.

JuanDmarco wrote:
Here in Brazil we rarely even get Japanese movies dubbed. :/
At least that's how it is now. There were a lot of animes being dubbed here in the early 2000s, but these days, outside of Netflix releases, there are only a few animes being released (Digimon, Beyblade, Yo-kai Watch, Pokémon, Bleach, Naruto Shippuden and Dragon, at least that I can remember, plus some DVD-only releases such as Saint Seiya and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's), and they take really long to get here since our dubs are usually adapted from the English or Spanish dubs of these shows, instead of directly adapted from the original Japanese dub.
Anyway, I have no idea how long anime movies take to be released here in Brazil when they DO get released, but I assume it's really long.

Brazil still does that, where anime is translated secondhand? That's kind of strange to hear, considering there are now plenty of Japanese video games in Brazil translated straight from Japanese to Brazilian Portuguese. Are all of the translators working for video game companies or something?

Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
And is there any chance Red Box will carry it? Just in case I cancel Funny before then.

Local Redbox machines around where I live has had The Sky Crawlers, The Wind Rises, The Tale of Princess Kaguya, and both of the recent Dragon Ball Z movies, so chances are Redbox will have your name available.

Thing is that you'll have to look up which places have them, because except for the DBZ movies, the others were available in only one Redbox machine I've encountered, and Redboxes are abundant here, in every grocery store, in front of every 7-Eleven, and inside every Walmart.

I advise looking under the "Family" category, as every anime movie I've encountered at Redbox has been placed there.

CandisWhite wrote:
When we think beautiful teenage girls, we think warm, rich, voices and the closer Stephanie gets to her natural speaking voice the better she sounds; I feel that Stephanie mixed her voice up very well to get attractive young lady and frustrated teen across in 'your name'.

For me, Sheh's voice was kind of jarring, as her Mitsuha voice was kind of switching between her Hinata voice (Naruto) and her Mineva voice (Gundam Unicorn), with the occasional Zeena (Sonic Lost World) whenever Mitsuha's feeling particularly grumpy. But I am just too familiar with her voice, I guess. I'm not nearly as familiar with Michael Sinterniklaas's voice (either that, or he has better range), so Taki was not as jarring. (What WAS, however, was his name, as it made me think of Takis corn chips.)

If I was actively identifying voices, I would've recognized Kyle Hebert as Teshi, Marc Diraison as Teshi's father, and probably some others, which is why it's jarring that I instantly thought "Stephanie Sheh" the moment Mitsuha said something even though I was NOT actively trying to figure out who voiced whom.

Don't get me wrong. Stephanie Sheh is very good at acting, and she is part of anime dubbing's A-list for a reason. It's just that, well, her relative lack of range makes her voice too recognizable. It's not nearly as bad as Lara Jill Miller though, who was EVERYWHERE in the early 00's and only had one voice, whether it was Kari from Digimon, Cherise from Scryed, or Juniper Lee.

(For the record, the aforementioned Zeena is my favorite role of hers. Sonic Lost World didn't give her much to say, but Sheh was so cast against type for that game, it was quite refreshing, akin to Spike Spencer as Arakune in BlazBlue.)

CandisWhite wrote:
This dub is great: The script does not feel translated; The acting is superb; The songs sound like they were written in English.

Funimation has gone all in; This feels like a project with major talent and millions of dollars behind it.

That's definitely how it felt to me too. Instant recognition of Sheh aside, once I got used to it, I forgot I was watching something translated from another language. (From what I read, the vocalist for Radwimps is bilingual and can speak and sing in English fluently, which is part of why the songs sound so natural--you're hearing the original singer, only he's now singing in English.)
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

I thought the dub was great too. The dub was very similar to the sub with many lines being exactly the same. Fun fact Radwimps also did the english versions of the songs which might explain why they were really good compared to the japanese versions

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, it looks like Robert wins that bet.

For me, Sheh's voice was kind of jarring, as her Mitsuha voice was kind of switching between her Hinata voice (Naruto) and her Mineva voice (Gundam Unicorn), with the occasional Zeena (Sonic Lost World) whenever Mitsuha's feeling particularly grumpy. But I am just too familiar with her voice, I guess. I'm not nearly as familiar with Michael Sinterniklaas's voice (either that, or he has better range), so Taki was not as jarring. (What WAS, however, was his name, as it made me think of Takis corn chips.)

I knew I won the bet too, but I needed a expert to get my friend to shut up and luckily Justin obliged. Haha. I'm not very familiar with Sheh so her voice was really good in my book. I thought Michael Sinterniklaas did a great job myself. Then I noticed the japanese seiyuu also did the voice of Kenji in Summer wars which Michael also as well. It seems they match pretty well. Of cource NyAC [/quote]
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
After waiting what felt like forever between the Japanese theater run and home video release of the Haruhi movie (over 10 months), I was very surprised when there was a relatively short gap between such releases for the second Kizumonogatari movie (only 4 months). I'm guessing they wanted to have it out on Blu-ray before the third movie got its theater run, but it was still a pleasant surprise. In general, these time frames do feel like a pretty major crap-shoot.

I love how much better most anime feature releases look compared to TV works (your name. especially looks stunning), but it can be a painful wait if you're not able to catch the theater run. I was lucky enough to be able to make a showing of your name., but now I really want to watch it again and show it to friends. I knew pirated downloads have been out for a while, but knowing that there is no home video source makes that a non-option, especially after seeing it on the big screen; I couldn't live with myself if I presented this movie to my friends without at least a proper 720p transfer. I'm hoping Funimation might schedule more screenings since it's initial release seemed to have done well (as long as they continue to have subtitled showing; nothing against dub fans, it's just my personal preference and the preference of most of my friends). And hopefully they can actually get their Blu-ray release out within two months or so of the Japanese release. Otherwise, if the Japanese Blu-ray has subtitles I'll be tempted to import it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
WingKing wrote:
Thing for me is that while I'm not hardcore either way about sub/dub, I have a lot of friends and family who'll only watch dubs, and this is such a fantastic movie that I want to share it with all of them, so I need a decent dub. Otherwise I might've considered buying the Japanese version, because it is going to be hard waiting that long for the US release to come out.

Funimation didn't dub this, and probably had nothing to do with its production. It was initially picked up in the U.K. by Anime Limited and they commissioned NYAV to produce the dub. It's quite likely that most of, if not all of the dub was completed by the time Funimation announced they licensed it. With it not being a continuation of a prexisting property, I doubt they would have spent more money to have it dubbed in LA.

anime#18171
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Anime Limited scheduled Your Name for November/December release and A silence voice (with an dub) somewhere this summer.

A Silent Voice is actually "TBC December", and while Your Name currently has a placeholder date on Amazon of October, Anime Limited have stressed that "The date in the listings highlights October 2017. This is due to holdbacks in Japan as part of the terms of our licensing agreement. However, we want to stress now that we do not anticipate this to be available before October 2017 and it could even be potentially later than that."

It is also not exactly unheard of for Anime Limited dates to change, sometimes quite wildly, before the eventual release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if they'd put English subtitles on the Japanese release or do something like they did for GitS Arise where Funimation was actually selling the JP release at JP prices and then did their normal dub and US priced release at a later date.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Funimation didn't dub this, and probably had nothing to do with its production. It was initially picked up in the U.K. by Anime Limited and they commissioned NYAV to produce the dub. It's quite likely that most of, if not all of the dub was completed by the time Funimation announced they licensed it. With it not being a continuation of a prexisting property, I doubt they would have spent more money to have it dubbed in LA.

Yeah, you're right about it being picked up by Anime Limited initially and them getting NYAV to dub it, but I'm not sure about Funimation having nothing to do with it later on. I mean, I'd like to know if Anime Limited's initial trailer was the actual English dub shown in their UK screenings or not. That trailer felt like it wasn't final and Funimation's trailer just sounds so much better. It sounded less rushed and had some line changes. Made me wonder whether Funimation had anything to do with the new trailer (if they had NYAV redub those lines or something) or if Anime Limited just uploaded the wrong/old trailer and there was no change at all or if Anime Limited had a rushed dub done in time for their screenings and a final dub afterwards.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
ok, but how is 40 ancient? or do you just have a crap sense of humor?

Get on with the program man,

20 is the new 60
30 you already have 1 foot in the grave
40 prepare your testament, things are going to get dicey from now on
50+ so long and thanks for all fish.

Laughing
0nsen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
Not sure what the problem with waiting is. I just pretend it doesn't exist until I have it on BD.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
@Cptn_Taylor & getchman

What are you two referring to? I can't seem to find the specific point either in the article itself or in the thread?...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
@Blanchimont

Back on page one, angelmcazares referred to Stephanie Sheh as ancient. It is a rather silly argument. Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3