• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

By taking a series that has been described as Fantasy Grave of the Fireflies and saying it's a harem series when it's not is the most insulting parts of your post.

Lol, well I'm pretty sure Grave of the Fireflies was not set up with a single remaining eligible bachelor on the entire planet (excluding the furry types, who we haven't really seen) surrounded by a large number of young females, many of whom are depicted as highly attractive and possibly horny. Smile

But anyway, Nordhmmer has provided good and useful context that is helping a lot, so I will be keeping what they say in mind as I watch.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
@Nordhmmer I think so. Ithea's recommendation to Willem was Chtholly. She may tease Willem but never really with her as what she is teasing him with. Nephren has been quiet so far though.

@ChibiKangaroo The part with Nephren was true in a non-euphemistic way, and Chtholly's reaction tells more about her feelings than Willem and Nephren's relationship.

I haven't seen any evidence that your definition that it is a power fantasy of a single man over several women, regardless of any romantic pursuit or interaction on the part of any party is closer than the consensus than three or more people romantically pursuing one person exclusively (as in not pursuing anything else) with some caveats that are granted heavily debated.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
What of the possibility that the two other 'girls' are acting as wingmen to help Chtholly fulfill her wish of having a 'romance'?
Do you feel the anime has shown that aspect?
Yes. I think you've been vastly underestimating the ability of the show to communicate ideas that are less explicitly spelled out than in the LN, on this and many other issues. The anime communicates a lot through atmosphere and tone, including things like the simplistic, idealized view of romance that these girls must have, or the girls' attempt to push Crying Blue Girl into hurrying up with some love-like activities.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
What of the possibility that the two other 'girls' are acting as wingmen to help Chtholly fulfill her wish of having a 'romance'?
Do you feel the anime has shown that aspect?
Yes. I think you've been vastly underestimating the ability of the show to communicate ideas that are less explicitly spelled out than in the LN, on this and many other issues. The anime communicates a lot through atmosphere and tone, including things like the simplistic, idealized view of romance that these girls must have, or the girls' attempt to push Crying Blue Girl into hurrying up with some love-like activities.

Yttrbio true enough, by reading this LN I've clouded my perspective,and by nature I prefer a slow paced story.
But for my pitiful defense,I've encountered far many others to whom the anime is telling a different tale.
Consider this just me clumsily tilting at windmills,or a poor attempt to reign in what I think I learned from the light novel.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I definitely don't consider this a harem series at all. Ithea is obviously a Shipper on Deck with the way she teases Ctholly nonstop about Willem.

And the other little girls are too young to have that kind of interest yet.
InfernalDrake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:34 am Reply with quote
LN reader here. While I may have poisoned my views on the anime by reading the LN, I do feel like there is way too much arguing over the romantic aspects of the story, and that there may be some merit to those arguments, it should still be clear that Kutori/Chtholly is the only romantic interest, and the others are just teasing them on the relationship to try and further it. The only real problems so far are that they have skipped little exposition segments that really add some flavor to the world, the fairies, and Willem in favor of focusing on the relationship between Kutori and Willem , (only kinda spoiler since novels had revealed this already) spoiler[ like how Willem got his Quasi-Brave status by being a Jack-of-All-trades in EVERYTHING rather than just specializing in combat of some sort, hence his knowledge on how to relieve minor venom poisoning and knowing how to perform maintenance on the blades,] but that's kinda excusable since that really is the main subplot and those hints don't actually come to matter too much until a bit later when they become the focus and actually start impacting events. I expect some of that elements that I know have been cut to be actually focused on later.

Of course, this is all assuming they just adapt volumes 1-3 for this season, which is already crammed at giving volume 1 just 3 episodes. If they try to do all 5 volumes in a single cour, this is gonna get ugly real, real fast.

Last edited by InfernalDrake on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 am Reply with quote
InfernalDrake wrote:
Of course, this is all assuming they just adapt volumes 1-3 for this season, which is already crammed at giving volume 1 just 3 episodes. If they try to do all 5 volumes in a single cour, this is gonna get ugly real, real fast.

Agreed.

InfernalDrake Cool

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
InfernalDrake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer Yeah, after thinking about it, that's definitely too heavy a spoiler. Edited it out.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
InfernalDrake wrote:
, it should still be clear that Kutori/Chtholly is the only romantic interest, and the others are just teasing them on the relationship to try and further it.

That's very clear to me.

I'd like to read the novels after the anime ends....but I'm really hoping the manga gets licensed. Nobody's scanning it; I can't even find pictures of it, aside from the cover. D:
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
InfernalDrake wrote:
LN reader here. While I may have poisoned my views on the anime by reading the LN, I do feel like there is way too much arguing over the romantic aspects of the story, and that there may be some merit to those arguments, it should still be clear that Kutori/Chtholly is the only romantic interest, and the others are just teasing them on the relationship to try and further it.

That's not entirely clear from what's happening in the anime, without the context from the LN. The anime has merely shown a bunch of attractive girls teasing him, with one of them being the lead candidate. This is how many such Rom com harem type shows are set up. Like I said, I'll defer for now based on Nordhmmer's insights, but I still think the anime's exclusion of context in favor of fanservice is a mistake.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
InfernalDrake wrote:
LN reader here. While I may have poisoned my views on the anime by reading the LN, I do feel like there is way too much arguing over the romantic aspects of the story, and that there may be some merit to those arguments, it should still be clear that Kutori/Chtholly is the only romantic interest, and the others are just teasing them on the relationship to try and further it.

That's not entirely clear from what's happening in the anime, without the context from the LN. The anime has merely shown a bunch of attractive girls teasing him, with one of them being the lead candidate. This is how many such Rom com harem type shows are set up. Like I said, I'll defer for now based on Nordhmmer's insights, but I still think the anime's exclusion of context in favor of fanservice is a mistake.

One (Ithea) girl is teasing him, and she was pushing for Willem to go for Chtholly. She has never shown any interest that way in him. Most of the teasing from her is jokingly accusing him of being a lolicon, and most guys would not consider being accused of being a pedophile as being hit on. Would you consider the teasing she has done an indication of romantic interest if she were a guy? No.

The troll's queries of eating him could be interpreted in a sexual way, but I'm pretty sure the literal meaning is definitely as valid, and likely are there to create a comedic contrast, not as an indication of romantic interest. If you were in his shoes, would you be willing to take the chance that she means what she says literally or would you think it just means it sexually? I don't know about you but I would be worried about being eaten which mitigates any ability for it to be fantasy material for me at least.

Nephren has never indicated any romantic interest him him at all, and some kids reporting that she was sleeping with him (which was literally true in a non-euphemistic way) does not constitute making her such.

And another thing. Harem rom-coms don't set things up with teasing. There are teasing characters but they are rarely love interests. The way they set up harem rom-coms is by multiple characters showing romantic interest in the lead. Only one has done that so far and that is Chtholly.

I'm not the only anime only viewer who can see where things are going romantically. There is evidence out there. You just have to look at stuff beyond what suits your narrative and your misunderstanding or even misrepresentation of how harems work.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

Nephren has never indicated any romantic interest him him at all, and some kids reporting that she was sleeping with him (which was literally true in a non-euphemistic way) does not constitute making her such.

Going by the anime only (sigh the struggle lol) I would say Ren is quietly doing the background info check on Willem,"spying" him out as it were.
Meanwhile Ithea is the one who is actively talking up Kutori,to Willem, the teasing is part and parcel with that spiel.

[quote]Chiibi I'd like to read the novels after the anime ends....but I'm really hoping the manga gets licensed. Nobody's scanning it; I can't even find pictures of it, aside from the cover. D.

Chiibi There is a singular romance in Sukasuka's story arc,the foundation of the story as been laid and next week the plot moves forward Smile

There is no manga out that i know of as yet,but my friend in Osaka tells me sukasuka is pretty popular atm,so may be there will be a manga.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Many a girl has indicated interest in a guy by asking him about his sexual tastes.

The fact that silver haired girl was sleeping in his lap when there was no indication that they were in such a tight space to necessitate that was certainly a tease to me. The comment about him sleeping with her in a sexual way was an example of the usual kind of sexual humor that pops up in Rom com and is aimed squarely at the doujinshi community.

Troll girls sexual advances are similarly doujin bait. Whether that ever goes beyond her licking him in public, I'm sure there are already numerous fanfics about what happens between him and troll girl at night. Also, you might not think that licking someones face is a sexual advance, but just try doing that on some unsuspecting person, I guarantee you will get a sexual assault charge. (And I would imagine there are numerous fanfis about him and all of the other girls at the warehouse for that matter.)

So yea, I think there's more than enough to go with here. Context may ultimately impact things but they've provided the pieces for fans of the genre.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The reaction of doujinshi and fan artists is on them and not necessarily dependent on what is in the material itself. If they like a character or pairing, they'll make it whether or not there is anything in the material to support it. Certainly some shows make it easy and play into it, but there has to be something in the material itself to show intent on the part of the creators. Compare the way, say, Sagiri from the currently airing Eromanga-sensei is framed versus how Nephren and the younger girls are framed. There is a lot of fan art of the former, but that isn't sufficient to prove intent on the part of the show which is why looking at framing is important. Does that mean no fan art will be made of the younger girls? I unfortunately can't guarantee that but it won't be because of how the show is showing them.

Again if you can look past the fact that trolls are known to eat humans in-universe and find her advances sexy, more power to you. I can't.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Many a girl has indicated interest in a guy by asking him about his sexual tastes.

The fact that silver haired girl was sleeping in his lap when there was no indication that they were in such a tight space to necessitate that was certainly a tease to me. The comment about him sleeping with her in a sexual way was an example of the usual kind of sexual humor that pops up in Rom com and is aimed squarely at the doujinshi community.

Troll girls sexual advances are similarly doujin bait. Whether that ever goes beyond her licking him in public, I'm sure there are already numerous fanfics about what happens between him and troll girl at night. Also, you might not think that licking someones face is a sexual advance, but just try doing that on some unsuspecting person, I guarantee you will get a sexual assault charge. (And I would imagine there are numerous fanfis about him and all of the other girls at the warehouse for that matter.)

So yea, I think there's more than enough to go with here. Context may ultimately impact things but they've provided the pieces for fans of the genre.

Honestly, at this point, all your saying is that you hate this series and take any other interpretation as something that could be just as valid as your own and ignore it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 21