• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Hyouka Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Immie93

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Hallelujah!!! Finally!! So pleased funimation have licensed this because it is a fabulous story. Very Happy
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Wonder how they will retain the same charm of Chitanda's Japanese punchline in the English version. Simply saying "I'm curious" doesn't have the same ring to it at all imo.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, it took 5 years for Hyouka to be left unlicensed.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I guess why it took so long will always be a mystery.

(yes, yes, I'm going to hell, I know)
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Not sure how I feel about this. I love, love, love this anime and a little part of me was happy that it never got a dub. How will the dub fare? It has to fit perfectly, otherwise the entire feeling of the show will not be the same! Come on Funimation...don't mess this up.
melmouth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I loved this show, went to great lengths to find the original light novel online (it's great too), and so this will become one of the few anime I'll ever buy.

Normally Japan's media is very heavy-handed in "correcting" the occasional MC who isn't willing to "do his best" as apparently all Japanese are supposed to do, with zeal. This one lets him go on being himself, and so his mystery solutions can seem like genuine strokes of genius. Add to that all the other characters, who are memorable and unique, and you get a great story that comes mighty close to being realistic.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Shinigami-Seishou wrote:
Not sure how I feel about this. I love, love, love this anime and a little part of me was happy that it never got a dub. How will the dub fare? It has to fit perfectly, otherwise the entire feeling of the show will not be the same! Come on Funimation...don't mess this up.

Just don't watch the dub if it's bad. I don't watch dubs, but if they think it's worth giving this show one, by all means, let 'em give it their best shot. Whether or not it's good is kind of irrelevant to me. And it won't diminish the show as it exists in sub form.
king 47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stopped watching anime in the past few years, it doesn't interest me it used to.

But damn it I LOVE Hyouka. I hated that I had to torrent it and I always wanted to buy it to support them. This will be the only anime that I get physical.
Every few months I come to ANN and search Hyouka to see news updates, but I know it's a mix of delusion and denial. But now we get it.

This, to me, is one of the best anime.

I'm super ecstatic.

Edit: Already pre-ordered the first set.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0722C3WMQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER#byline_secondary_view_div_1492842915210

If this listing is to be trusted, looks like we have 2 dub voice actors named for this dub - Adam Gibbs and Madeline Morris. Madeline is a relatively new voice at Funimation, but as far as I can tell, this might be Adam's first gig with Funimation? Please correct me If I'm wrong. However, this won't be his first KyoAni role! He was Hiroomi Nase in Beyond The Boundary, and recently Seiya Kanie in Amagi Brilliant Park, both dubbed at Sentai.

I'm both anxious and excited to hear a dub, but I want to know who is writing and directing it, too.

-Marc.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Six days after Amazon's listing, Funimation confirms the cast, including the aforementioned Adam Gibbs and Madeline Morris!

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017/04/28/hyouka-english-cast-announcement/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=042017-hv-hyouka-p1&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=english-cast&utm_nooverride=1

-Marc.
king 47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
I just saw the dub trailer. It's going to take me a while to get used to the different voice.
I guess I'll watch the sub first, and I'll give the dub a try some time later.

Also, does anyone know how long Funimation typically takes to release the second set? I never buy discs, but I want to have the complete set.
Vannil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
I just saw the dub trailer. It's going to take me a while to get used to the different voice.
I guess I'll watch the sub first, and I'll give the dub a try some time later.

Also, does anyone know how long Funimation typically takes to release the second set? I never buy discs, but I want to have the complete set.

I think their average is 3-5 months. I think for this release it'll be sooner, but this is definitely a day 1 buy
king 47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:

I think their average is 3-5 months. I think for this release it'll be sooner, but this is definitely a day 1 buy

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4