• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: .hack//G.U. Gets PS4/PC HD Remaster With New Elements in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Like most people here, I would've rather had the tetralogy first, but I still can't complain. This is practically half of everything I wanted, albeit in the wrong order.

As for the unfamiliar Haseo...
Inb4 Sasuke cameo.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Remastering //G.U. is fine, but why start with the sequel series? Come on Bamco, use your noodle.

Ironic that you tell Bamco to use their noodle when the article clearly states:

Quote:
In addition to the series' 15th anniversary, this year marks 10 years since the end of .hack//G.U. and is also the year that the game's story is set in.

Reading comprehension and simple math are hard folks.

Oops. Walked right in to that one, didn't I? Laughing

I originally saw the announcement on another site that failed to mention the anniversaries. Dropped in here to throw in my two cents, but didn't bother re-reading what I thought I had all the details on. My bad. Embarassed
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Emerje wrote:
It would hardly be the first time Steam got a major Japanese game that isn't translated. Plus PC doesn't really confirm anything, there are a number of Japanese games that don't see release on Steam.

PS4 and PC, both region free.

That has nothing to do with anything and it isn't a given that PC games are region free, not all of them are.

Quote:
A remaster and not a new game, all dialogue is already translated and dubbed.

Nope, it isn't that easy. We already know it'll feature new content which will need to be translated and most likely dubbed.

Quote:
This being Namco who are good with their niche remasters like God Eater and such. All signs point to this being a happy ending.

And yet they skipped over the last two .hack games stating that America had lost interest in the franchise, and nobody ever picked up .hack//The Movie.

It's been five years since they last passed us over so maybe they've had a change of heart since then, but my skepticism isn't unfounded.

Anyway, we have more info on what has been changed. This comes from Siliconera.
Quote:
Evolution Point 1 – Major Visual Evolution

• Full-HD (1080p)
  • High-definition movies
  • Supports 60fps
  • High-definition backgrounds and UI

Evolution Point 2 – Game System Improvements

• Added retry function
  • Cheat Mode (Play with maxed out level and equipment)
  • Movement speed increased
  • Item slot number increased to 90
  • Item menu shortcut and sort functions added
  • Certain items have consecutive usage function
  • Made easier to see empty equipment slots
  • Chim Sphere and Virus Core possession cap at 999
  • Reduced probability of allies selling off items you give them
  • Improvements that were made in Vol. 2: Reminisce and Vol. 3: Redemption will be reflected on Vol. 1: Rebirth in the HD Remaster.
  • Battle tempo increased with a rise in offensive ability and reduction in hitstop.
  • Weapon skill up rates increased
  • Increase in experience points gained
  • Some powerful enemies have been mitigated
  • Skeith’s shooting speed has been increased
  • Avatar battles have been rebalanced
  • In addition to being able to redo the Marriage Events in Vol. 3: Redemption, you’ll get to do it with all characters that become party members

Evolution Point 3 – New Elements Added

• All movies from the Terminal Disk that was bundled with the special edition copy of .hack//G.U. Vol. 1: Rebirth will be included.
  • Haseo with an unfamiliar look appears…

Edit: Just ocured to me that Haseo's unfamiliar look will probably be a Kirito costume from Sword Art Online. Last year in SAO: Code Register Kirito got a Haseo costume so it only makes sense that they'd flip it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It's been five years since they last passed us over so maybe they've had a change of heart since then, but my skepticism isn't unfounded.

I understand your skepticism, I'm from various .hack forums since the mid 2000s, so I know how rough it has been for this fanbase. But I have a good feeling about this one, and so does the whole community of .hack fans. There are many modern similar instances, think Sega's Valkyria Chronicles, which got the HD remake on PC and PS4 despite being a 2008 PS3 only game and the 3rd game never being localized (diff company but same story).

The interview further states that they went with the remake to re-introduce new fans to this old series, it's a marketing tactic for their next game that they hinted at. Plus .hack has been featured in the Project-X-Zone games, so it's been showing up here and there in recent years. As for the new content, it appears to mostly be technical adjustments, we doubt it'll be new story. If we're lucky, they might add Black Rose as a post game party member since her data got cut from GU Vol 3 last minute (despite having the complete model and all). The community also thinks the 'new Haseo' will either be his manga design or a face reveal of the real player. That would be neat.

Either way, I think we need to show interest in this. I will post on a bunch of forums and YouTube videos later in the summer so more people hear about this remake. I think the fanbase needs to show demand on Namco's social media so they're aware of people wanting this game. Wouldn't want another .hack//LINK to happen.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
As for the new content, it appears to mostly be technical adjustments, we doubt it'll be new story.

It was already mentioned that the marriage system was expanded to all party members, that's new content that'll require translating text and dubbing new voices for the cut scenes.

Quote:
The community also thinks the 'new Haseo' will either be his manga design or a face reveal of the real player. That would be neat.

They seem pretty specific about it being "unfamiliar". I'd argue that just rehashing a costume from the manga, movie, or light novels wouldn't be "unfamiliar" or "new". And we've seen Ryou's face many times in various places, though I suppose never in the games.

Personally I want to see him in a Sora costume.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
Gematsu discovered the game has been recently trademarked in Europe!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2