• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Studio Trigger to Announce New Titles at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Trigger should try doing a Gurren Lagann styled slice of life show: like a super over the top show in the genre of K-On!
This I would love to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Batknight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope they do something simillar to Gurren Lagann(yes I know Gainax) and Kill La Kill. We've had Super Robot and Magical Girl, maybe a different genre.

I would really love to see Trigger's take on western superheroes.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
A big problem with original series is because they don't have a pre-established fan base from a source material (LN, manga, etc.), the chances of decent sales are variable. "Tiger & Bunny" did good for an original show partially because of the sponsors.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Trigger should try doing a Gurren Lagann styled slice of life show: like a super over the top show in the genre of K-On!

We already have Rolling Girls though
xMemorie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
YROSHIKU wrote:
No please no, no more hot garbage from Trigger!

What hot garbage do you mean?
For the record, I'm only asking so I can tell if this is a troll comment, or if you actually had something of value to contribute.

2 of their 3 main shows Kill la Kill, Kiznaiver and LWA were average at best imo. I haven't seen Kill la Kill, but a lot of people tend to mention it along side Gurren Lagaan, which in my opinion was slightly above average as well.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Batknight wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope they do something similar to Gurren Lagann(yes I know Gainax) and Kill La Kill. We've had Super Robot and Magical Girl, maybe a different genre.

A few shows have done that already; Hero man and Trigger and Bunny. But I guess Trigger would have a completely different approach.
xMemorie wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
For the record, I'm only asking so I can tell if this is a troll comment, or if you actually had something of value to contribute.
2 of their 3 main shows Kill la Kill, Kiznaiver and LWA were average at best imo. I haven't seen Kill la Kill, but a lot of people tend to mention it along side Gurren Lagaan, which in my opinion was slightly above average as well.
Wow you are a hard guy to please.
xMemorie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Batknight wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope they do something similar to Gurren Lagann(yes I know Gainax) and Kill La Kill. We've had Super Robot and Magical Girl, maybe a different genre.

A few shows have done that already; Hero man and Trigger and Bunny. But I guess Trigger would have a completely different approach.
xMemorie wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Wow you are a hard guy to please.

I might have liked it more, if I watched it 2-3 years ago, but when you watch shows like Cowboy Bebop, Monster, Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell, Texhnolyze, NGE and so on and love them all, you kinda get taste in anime that's hard to satisfy. I'm not talking for everyone obviously.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
xMemorie wrote:
I might have liked it more, if I watched it 2-3 years ago, but when you watch shows like Cowboy Bebop, Monster, Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell, Texhnolyze, NGE and so on and love them all, you kinda get taste in anime that's hard to satisfy. I'm not talking for everyone obviously.
Interesting, I've seen all those shows, and I rank Gurren Lagann very high, even higher then 2 of the shows from that list, NGE and way way above Ergo Proxy. Though as you say you are only speaking for yourself.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
xMemorie wrote:

See, you just have the standard "hipster" taste. Which is totally fine, and you're not the one that called it hot garbage, so I won't rag on you, but the reason I even responded to that guy is because not liking what Trigger makes, and them making "hot garbage" are two very different things. In your case, at least, you clearly just don't like what Trigger makes(which is what I assumed for that guy too). It is, however, pretty damn high quality, critically praised, and very beloved by a lot of people who DO like the kind of thing they make.
xMemorie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
xMemorie wrote:

See, you just have the standard "hipster" taste. Which is totally fine, and you're not the one that called it hot garbage, so I won't rag on you, but the reason I even responded to that guy is because not liking what Trigger makes, and them making "hot garbage" are two very different things. In your case, at least, you clearly just don't like what Trigger makes(which is what I assumed for that guy too). It is, however, pretty damn high quality, critically praised, and very beloved by a lot of people who DO like the kind of thing they make.

Well, I also love Hajime no Ippo, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Kekkai Sensen, Death Note, Mushishi, Berserk (the manga and 1997), One Piece (the manga) etc. So I wouldn't call myself a hipster. And I still enjoy aspects of Triggers shows. They were fun to watch visually and stylistically but they have no depth. Their plots are just too thin and not flashed out enough for me to fully enjoy. I still like that they have their original style and bring new original content into the market.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I do hope it's at least whatever Hiroyuki Imaishi is working on next. I love his frenetic pacing and mad energy he injects into anything he makes. (The one thing I didn't like that he made was Panty & Stocking. I understand why other people like it, but I have my reasons, namely that it's because I'm a western aniamtion fan and they got a lot of things wrong in imitation.)

Just you watch: What they'll announce will be an extension of Sex & Violence with Machspeed.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
xMemorie wrote:
They were fun to watch visually and stylistically but they have no depth. Their plots are just too thin and not flashed out enough for me to fully enjoy. I still like that they have their original style and bring new original content into the market.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that then. I'll agree that Imaishi doesn't necessarily express a lot of thoughtful thematic ideas himself, but many of his plot ideas are quite complex. Getting lost in them, sure, not liking how convoluted they are, sure, not liking how silly they are, sure, but thin? Hmmm... eh, not really...
But anyway, when he works with the master Kazuki Nakashima, as is the case with KLK and Gurren Lagann, he adds quite a lot of thematic ideas to accompany Imaishi's fun worlds, and I think it balances really nicely to create quite well fleshed out settings and characters with important themes, interesting and fairly original narratives, and just lots of fun.
And if we're talking Yoshinari, the guy's interviews are brimming with the thematic ideas that he's shoved into LWA. The nature of inspiration, bullying, all kinds of great stuff.
Like I said before, it's just not for everyone. But those criticisms, frankly, don't make any sense to me.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
I was really hoping we'd hear news from director Hiroyuki Imaishi whether it be something original or a continuation of his other works like Kill La Kill or Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. I know that last one is owned by Gainax at the moment but there's a chance Trigger might acquire the rights if Gainax becomes bankrupt after their lawsuit from Studio Khara. I have yet to see Space Patrol Luluco.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Just you watch: What they'll announce will be an extension of Sex & Violence with Machspeed.

I don't know what the majority of anime fans felt about that animated short Imaishi-san had made for the Japan Animator Expo but I thought that was amusing in its own way. It was great hearing Kouichi Yamadera and Megumi Hayashibara make such cartoon-y sounding voices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2