• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Granblue Fantasy the Animation (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote

Granblue Fantasy the Animation (TV)

Genres: Fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: This is a world of the skies, where many islands drift in the sky. A boy named Gran and a talking winged lizard named Vyrn lived in Zinkenstill, an island which yields mysteries. One day, they come across a girl named Lyria. Lyria had escaped from the Erste Empire, a military government that is trying to rule over this world using powerful military prowess. In order to escape from the Empire, Gran and Lyria head out into the vast skies, holding the letter Gran's father left behind - which said, "I will be waiting at Estalucia, Island of Stars".
----------------------------------

They aired a special TV episode today. Quite frankly, I think so far, they captured the magic of the show rather well and although a lot seems to have happened, there's a lot to develop in its fantasy world. The OP song (performed by Bump of Chicken) is quite catchy.

There's numerous characters that were introduced although Gran is the main protagonist that I think people should keep an eye on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Episodes 1 and 2

For some reason I have been seeing the name of this franchise show up in places, like fan art or something. See the company Cygames show up, which I am family of from Rage of Bahamut, which was a pretty cool fantasy anime, side thought was that a Bahamut showed up at the end of the first episode and beginning of the second, and it did no look too dissimilar from the titular one from RoB. Without really reading up on what these episodes were meant to do, I think it was saying something about a rest of series or something starting in April, these couple episodes were introductory, it did not look bad.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, Winter 2017 is turning out to be a pretty good one for fantasy shows based on existing games: Chain Chronicle, Tales of Zestiria the X and now Granblue Fantasy. They all look great, and have interesting stories and characters, imo. This is wonderful for a fantasy anime fan like myself.

Special bonus: Her Royal Highness Rie Kugimiya voicing the flying lizard. Nobody does cute widdle creature voices (or tsunderes) better.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Special bonus: Her Royal Highness Rie Kugimiya voicing the flying lizard. Nobody does cute widdle creature voices (or tsunderes) better.

She is voicing a flying Roomba robot in Schoolgirl Strikers, which is pretty similar as odd as that sounds.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Are you sure that's her? I actually thought that it was Kurumi Mamiya who voiced Favu from Magical Girl Raising Project doing that role. Unfortunately the ANN Encyclopedia doesn't list the cast member for "Moshu." But that credit doesn't appear in either Rie or Kurumi's credits, so far.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
I thought she was, and this wiki page of the character for the series has her listed as CV. But it may be for only the game for which she seems to voice a few characters. Maybe I got it wrong, but information is that series anime seems kind of bare in English.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it is. As you say, it could be that she voices the character in the game, but not the series for some reason (which would be odd, I guess). But whenever Moshu says "moshu" at the end of her sentence, it just sounds so much like Kurumi Mamiya saying "pon" in MGRP as Favu.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wow, Winter 2017 is turning out to be a pretty good one for fantasy shows based on existing games: Chain Chronicle, Tales of Zestiria the X and now Granblue Fantasy. They all look great, and have interesting stories and characters, imo. This is wonderful for a fantasy anime fan like myself.

Unfortunately we only get the first 2 pre-aired episodes for Granblue. The main show starts in April.

Anyways, this series has a ton of doujinshi so I've always been a bit curious about it. Thankfully this series follows the game's plot and characters rather than an original story told in the same world.

Lyria is a cutie and her similarity to Mylene from Macross 7 had me wondering if Mikimoto is doing the character designs. The animation style also had me thinking a bit of Kabaneri too. While it's not Mikimoto, it still has that old school kind of feel that Kabaneri did, which works well with this kind of setting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
Aw crud, I didn't realize that! Oh well, I guess April isn't that far away.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

And finally it is back, CR said new episodes were released in the last few weeks, but I think it was just for the two that were already out.

I am going to be honest here, I am kind of liking this atmosphere here more than what I was getting from Tales of Zestiria X, that is despite me needing to mentally catch up to what I might have forgotten with the first two episodes, and maybe comes from how after that's second season I was generally feeling disappointed. The animation is not up to the same level here, but the characters just feel more interesting and alive. At the same time I have to say it looks nice and feels kind of comforting. The setting and the world building is kind of fun. I feel good that I can let myself feel invested to watch more now that it will properly be coming out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

An ending that is not really much of feeling of a finale, could be hard to pick this as quite the end. That is especially so as this episode was really kind of weird, because there was no Gran, our main character was gone and he was seemingly replaced with a girl called Djeeta who did the things Gran did and more that had not happened. It was kind of creepy before I had to look up online to find out what was happening, and from what I understand Djeeta was the female option the player could use in the game, so it sets up a sort of alternate universe thing. It allowed them to use this last episode as a sort of fanservice in way of swimsuits, but also from the large cast of characters that showed up recently to have eventually joined the crew. I kind of understand it in those terms, in games I can kind of be behind the alternate gender hero thing, but in practice here it kind of robbed me from a final bit of chemistry between Gran and Lyria which I had come to quite like, Djeeta seemed to have a bit of different chemistry with others. I did like the bird with sunglasses though, its owner, Sierokarte, was probably my favourite character in the show.

To talk about Granblue Fantasy the Animation in general, I think that I did enjoy it more than say Tales of Zestiria X, not counting animation, but it was kind of missing something to make it feel grand, despite the occasional large scale things. In practice it kind of felt like a going on an adventure with a group of friends, in the sense of like a video game, it is pleasant but not too much to write about. Perhaps something with a world I could get lost in if left to my own devices, but was generally pretty streamlined, with plot points that will apparently play off later with intrigue. I think I would have been more happy learning a bit more about the different races, which may have applied more context.

I would rate it as Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time here, and really there was not anything negative that I had any problems with, except for maybe a little whiplash with this last episode that I maybe could have used a little more warning of.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (13 if you count the extra episode, finale)

I wish that I liked this show more, like it isn't bad exactly, but it just does a kind of poor job at keeping itself interesting. Oddly I kind of found the most interesting episode/arc to be this season's extra episode in alternate continuity. kind of weird that it was after episode 5 this time, which was the followed by an arc that introduced and explained a character that was important to the extra episode, or in practice the extra episode spoiled things about that character, which I think was a big mistake. Both of these stories had a sort of spooky theme to it, but the one off Halloween episode felt more fun than the one with zombie village, and I am usually a big fan of gothic horror, but it just felt kind of tiring. The characters just in a sort of Halloween costumes and the appearance of Jack O'Lantern, just cooler than everything being washed out.

Most everything else, while not bad, just did not feel interesting enough, I would not say I lost time, just that I wish that it made itself feel more interesting and easy to be invested or wonder in the fantasy. A So-so (5/10), not really badly made, I just want something more engrossing or fun so it did not really grab my attention. The extra episode after episode 5 would probably be the best thing to watch even by itself if you watched the first season, you would have at least as much context already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1