• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I got a kick out of the firefighter ninja though. Apparently despite needing hoses and backpacks to supply the water itself (which seems odd considering how other water style users seemed to practically pull the stuff out of thin air), the pressure is applied water style. And two of them were blowing the water out of their mouths! Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
[b[Ep 17[/b]: Very meh, slightly below average in story & character interactions. But there were some interesting reveals:
--Sarada is the more mature person in the household. The implication seems to be that Sakura works so much, Sarada is in charge of things like cooking and scheduling by default. Sakura wouldn't mind just getting take-out, but Sarada's mature (for her age) sensibility is against that.

I'm not all that happy with the only working mother household in Konoha being depicted like that, but it works for these particular characters. Just wish there were other types of moms around for balance. Does Temari still work as a diplomat?

--Worst. Girl's Trip. Ever: WTH, Ino?! Taking Sakura to a spot that reminds her of her missing man, who apparently doesn't even call from time to time, and then just leaving her alone there? It's amazing Sakura didn't cry. But...
--Sakura is in Denial: Sasuke's wandering the world. He doesn't call, he doesn't write, he doesn't send Sarada cards on her birthday, he's basically gone. Your marriage is in utter limbo. But she's still so optimistic about it...oy. She needs a therapist, or at least friends who can gently help her break through this illusion...
Illusion--maybe she's been under a genjutsu all this time!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I thought Sakura was a terrible character in the original series, but in one episode Boruto convinced me that she's much worse than I thought.

At least in the original she was just one-dimensional and lacking in all substance! Watching her sham of a marriage and a best friend parade it about her while the show demonstrates all the tonal appropriateness of an ornithopter in an attack damage convention was friggin' intolerable. Why do the author(s) bother writing about a character they clearly don't care enough about to treat like a real person?
Ethe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the reviewer that this was a pretty solid filler episode.

It kinda bothers me how Sarada jumps off the train when Boruto and the guys are about to find her. I mean, I know she doesn't want to do "childish" things like Boruto and is afraid the guys might make fun of her, but is it really that big of a deal? Come on Sarada, that little girl misses her teddy bear Razz

Quote:
WTH, Ino?! Taking Sakura to a spot that reminds her of her missing man, who apparently doesn't even call from time to time, and then just leaving her alone there?

I honestly didn't how to feel about Ino's surprise. It was a little messed up, wasn't it Laughing

Quote:
What are the chances of another lost plush toy—one wrapped in the same cloth, no less—being taken to the lost-and-found and claimed within the time it took Sarada to get there?

Yeah, that was too much of a coincidence.

Other than that I enjoyed this episode. I'm having lots of fun watching this show.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
The only thing I got from this episode was that Sakura is still a Sasuke fanboy well into her 30s, and that she and him win the award for worst parents of the year. Sarada has never spoken to or even seen her father, and her mother doesn't tell her jack shit about him. What kind of marriage is that? But then again you can't expect too much from a relationship where the man never showed anything remotely similar to love towards the woman (even now as adults), and the woman still proclaims her love for the man who tried to kill her. Ino really dodged a bullet.

Anyway, aside from Love and the Restless Uchihas, the episode was decent.

NeverConvex wrote:
Wow. I thought Sakura was a terrible character in the original series, but in one episode Boruto convinced me that she's much worse than I thought.

At least in the original she was just one-dimensional and lacking in all substance! Watching her sham of a marriage and a best friend parade it about her while the show demonstrates all the tonal appropriateness of an ornithopter in an attack damage convention was friggin' intolerable. Why do the author(s) bother writing about a character they clearly don't care enough about to treat like a real person?

It only gets worse my friend. Gaiden sheds even more light on what we already knew: sasusaku is absolute trash. [/spoiler]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What are the chances of another lost plush toy—one wrapped in the same cloth, no less—being taken to the lost-and-found and claimed within the time it took Sarada to get there?

Especially when you look at who the other bundle belonged to. Smile Did that teetering old lady sprint over to the lost and found to beat Sarada there?

As for Sakura, her marriage makes perfect sense to me. She's always been in love with her image of Sasuke rather than the reality of him, only had a crush on him because he was cute, bad-boy broody, and top of the class, and never spent enough time interacting with him to actually know him. So she's essentially having a marriage with the fantasy person of her dreams, without ever having to deal with the moody jerk of a man on a daily basis. Nothing has changed except she's got a trophy kid from him to dote on in his place. It's the perfect marriage, since Fantasy Sasuke can't make mistakes and will always be exactly as she imagines him. Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:

It kinda bothers me how Sarada jumps off the train when Boruto and the guys are about to find her. I mean, I know she doesn't want to do "childish" things like Boruto and is afraid the guys might make fun of her, but is it really that big of a deal? Come on Sarada, that little girl misses her teddy bear Razz

On the one hand, I'm glad someone finally brought up Boruto & friends train riding habits, on the other, they didn't focus on the part of it that bothers me most--Boruto & co are bumming rides they can clearly afford. We see Sarada buying a ticket, so she just could have shown it to them & lorded that over them, using it to chastise them for their inappropriate usage of public transportation.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

As for Sakura, her marriage makes perfect sense to me. She's always been in love with her image of Sasuke rather than the reality of him, only had a crush on him because he was cute, bad-boy broody, and top of the class, and never spent enough time interacting with him to actually know him. So she's essentially having a marriage with the fantasy person of her dreams, without ever having to deal with the moody jerk of a man on a daily basis. Nothing has changed except she's got a trophy kid from him to dote on in his place. It's the perfect marriage, since Fantasy Sasuke can't make mistakes and will always be exactly as she imagines him. Very Happy

That makes a lot of sense. I just wish they framed it more as a bad thing. Right now, are we supposed to sympathize with Sakura for being delusional, Sarada, for having to deal with a single mom who won't admit she's single? Both? I hope we're not supposed to sympathize with Sasuke, for basically having an heir he's not spending any time with.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
they didn't focus on the part of it that bothers me most--Boruto & co are bumming rides they can clearly afford.

That was my initial thought (and what I originally thought Sarada was lecturing them about) But we see later that they are clearly riding IN the train and then they note that they LIKE to get out and ride on top. So considering that and how well behaved Japanese society usually is (especially considering some of their parents), I assume that Boruto & Co. buy tickets (most of the time, when not doing "ninja stuff" for real) and just get on top of the train for giggles, not as a way to avoid paying.
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense. I just wish they framed it more as a bad thing.

To be fair, depending on how you (the viewer) wanted to take it, Sarada DOES ask her mom to bring back a father... That said, the absentee father (or even absentee parents (plural)) is not really unique or even unusual in anime. To be fair, it's not even THAT odd in Western entertainment, altho Sasuke is more one of the "extreme" cases. (I didn't watch Brotherhood, but in FMA the Elrics are pretty much the same situation except the mother dies)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
But at least Hohenheim feels guilty about it, Edward gives him a piece of his mind on the topic, and we got glimpses of how lonely Trisha was without him, so there it wasn't shrugged off as being without consequences. Here it's all Sakura being fine with it as something that can't be helped, and he's off doing such wonderful things, whataguy, so she has to do her best to support him and keep the homefires burning for the 2 or 3 minutes a year he remembers they exist.

Hopefully Sarada's snarky remark about bringing home a father heralds a future examination of how dysfunctional this family is, but I'm not holding my breath.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
What's the point of calling this episode filler? This entire anime is filler if you're saying filler is what's not in the manga. You knew that going in. This is basically an original anime based upon an existing manga series. Accept it and move on.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
[b[Ep 17[/b]: Very meh, slightly below average in story & character interactions. But there were some interesting reveals:
--Sarada is the more mature person in the household. The implication seems to be that Sakura works so much, Sarada is in charge of things like cooking and scheduling by default. Sakura wouldn't mind just getting take-out, but Sarada's mature (for her age) sensibility is against that.

I'm not all that happy with the only working mother household in Konoha being depicted like that, but it works for these particular characters. Just wish there were other types of moms around for balance. Does Temari still work as a diplomat?

--Worst. Girl's Trip. Ever: WTH, Ino?! Taking Sakura to a spot that reminds her of her missing man, who apparently doesn't even call from time to time, and then just leaving her alone there? It's amazing Sakura didn't cry. But...
--Sakura is in Denial: Sasuke's wandering the world. He doesn't call, he doesn't write, he doesn't send Sarada cards on her birthday, he's basically gone. Your marriage is in utter limbo. But she's still so optimistic about it...oy. She needs a therapist, or at least friends who can gently help her break through this illusion...
Illusion--maybe she's been under a genjutsu all this time!

highly doubt that since she can counter it. the only one who probably under the influence is naruto. hell, he's been under one since the 7th movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Sakura can counter genjutsu, but in this case she doesn't want to. She wants to believe that Sasuke loves her as much as she loves him...

I read their relationship as Sakura pursued Sasuke until he gave in, literally going along with him on his travels. She got pregnant and he married her to save face (which is incredibly important for clan respectability reasons, and since he's basically the only one left in his clan, that part is non-negotiable). She decided to go back to Konoha after the baby was born so that she wouldn't have to raise the baby on the run. They've been living separately ever since. That's really incredibly sad.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
That makes a lot of sense. I just wish they framed it more as a bad thing. Right now, are we supposed to sympathize with Sakura for being delusional, Sarada, for having to deal with a single mom who won't admit she's single? Both? I hope we're not supposed to sympathize with Sasuke, for basically having an heir he's not spending any time with.

Yes, this is my complaint as well. It is not that bad marriages are unrealistic or that Sakura's terrible marriage is a surprise; it's that the show's tone this episode was completely inconsistent with the content it shared about her marriage. An absentee father and a shallow, empty marital relationship should be handled with the weight they deserve and their consequences explored, but this episode seemed happy to do very little more than remind us that, darnit, Sakura just really, truly loves Sasuke.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Generally speaking, this episode was boring. I actually fast-forwarded though parts of Sarada's "chase down the bundle" scenes. Then we get to Doormatura's portion...

Holy Cow, girl. You might be older physically, but emotionally you're still 15. Sasuke hasn't communicated with you in several years, but that just means you need to work hard? WTF? I can't even process the reasoning behind that kind of absurdity. I feel sorry for your(?) daughter, because she didn't do anything to deserve either you or Sasuke. And, via Ino, we're all supposed to think it's somehow romantic or cool or something? "Here, Sakura. Isn't this where you and Sasuke sat before he deserted you and your daughter?" Yeah, good times, right?

Honestly, the only really entertaining part about it involved the boys: them trying to find Sarada so they could rub her haughtiness in her face, and their reaction to her comments when she walked out of the river. This is probably my least-liked episode so far.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I read their relationship as Sakura pursued Sasuke until he gave in, literally going along with him on his travels. She got pregnant and he married her to save face (which is incredibly important for clan respectability reasons, and since he's basically the only one left in his clan, that part is non-negotiable). She decided to go back to Konoha after the baby was born so that she wouldn't have to raise the baby on the run. They've been living separately ever since. That's really incredibly sad.

I don't think it's quite that delusional. I was under the impression that they had (something of) a relationship, but Sasuke took off on his mission to track Kaguya and Sakura (maybe already pregnant) chased after him because she knew he'd be gone for for-friggin-ever. And we keep seeing flashes of Sasuke and Sakura holding Sarada's hand, so it seems he stuck around for a little while when she was very young. and In the Scarlet Spring manga he even says, "My wife isn't that weak" which is something he never would have said about Sakura in the original series, and they seem to have a itty-bitty bit of intimacy. They actually kind of remind me of Bulma and Vegeta. But then again, Naruto himself finds it completely plausible that spoiler[Sakura might not actually be Sarada's mother and she's taking care of Sarada out of an obsessive love for Sasuke] so everyone else seems to acknowledge that their relationship is totally screwed up.

How they got from Sasuke poking her forehead at the end of the Naruto manga to conceiving Sarada is a story I'm desperate to hear though. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 31