• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edmg7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Kokuryu Daimao wrote:
Long time anime watcher, stuck at home recovering from an injury, can't sleep, with time to kill, so why not jump in.

I think the biggest thing about some of the criticism I'm seeing is that people are forgetting the most important thing about MHA. Is that its first and foremost a Shounen series.
Once you take that into consideration, many of the pacing and story telling decisions make more sense because they are geared towards the mentality of a shounen viewing audience.

I remember talking to a friend about DragonBall Z and how I hated that the first 5-10 mins of some episodes was nothing but recapping what had already happened before. My friend, who was the exact age of the target demographic when that series first aired, told me those recaps actually helped him to remember the story as he had to wait week to week to see what happened. Back then he didn't have streaming Internet or BR/DvDs that he could re-watch, heck, he didn't even have a VHS player at that time to record. So, while they may seem unnecessary to some of us, things like that keep shounen viewers engaged in the series without feeling confused or lost which keep them interested in the series.
To a younger viewer, those boxes in MHA act like flashcards to remind them of which character is which.
Some might have issues with the screen time pacing of those boxes, but a shounen aged viewer might need that extra second to finish reading.

The second thing I'll comment on is the whole Class rankings and how it influences character interaction and development. Once again, please keep in mind this is a Shounen series.
So for those of us who are beyond that stage in life and are living in the real world, all this emphasis on class ranking may seem boring and pointless, but to shounen audiences particualrly in Japan, its a big part of not only their own identity but how they socialize with others inside a school setting.
If you rewatch the classroom scene, you'll also realize that the "show, don't tell" storytelling is present, but sometimes younger viewers need help understanding what they are seeing. which is what all the ranking signs bring.
Kaminari and Ashido, are depicted as freaked out panicked and laughingly resigned, respectively. Odd, but when you pair their reactions with the signs showing that they are the academic bottom two of the class it adds clarity without using extra time.
Fumikage, Rikido and Saji, show concern but with no extreme reactions, which is instantly reflected in their lower-half of the middle of the class rankings.
Mineta's reaction is actually very telling about the role of Ranking in schools of not just how students feel about themselves, but how they react to others based on their rankings compared to others. Notice how his scene comes in in response to those who are of lower ranking. He has an air of superiority towards them because of his higher ranking. Ashido and Kaminari even react with frustration towards MIneta because he's ranked that much higher than them. The joke is that for all of his attitude for being smarter than half the class, Mineta is still just the middle guy.
MIdoriya, Iida and Shoto all try to give words of encouragement for all to do their best, but those words fall flat for Kaminari because they came from 3 of the top 5. It would take up far more time to show that joke if they didn't just post up their ranks.
Momo's confidence in being able to help with the lectures reflects her #1 status, but her instant depression about not being able to help in the practical helps to emphasize that class ranking isn't everything. Her reaction from academic to practical Is also a setup for the next episode.
The class ranking is also important for illustrating Bakugou's reaction. Eijirou teases Bakugou about Momo's tutoring. Since Bakugou is determined to be "Number One" the fact that he's only number 3 in class infuriates him. The study group lead by Momo become that mental reminder to Bakugou that there are still others who are better than him at something. So he becomes willing to tutor Ejirou to prove that he can do it too.
Knowing Bakugou is number 3 is also important because we also know that Midoriya is number 4. For Bakugou, the ranking system tells him that a guy he once thought of as nothing and useless is right behind him which only fuels his anger more.

Would any of that scene make any real sense if we didn't know their rankings? Sure we would have some sense of who is smarter than whom, but many of the nuanced jokes and reactions wouldn't have been as effective without it.
Because of the signs and the ranking, many get the jokes. They might not be fully aware of Why they get the jokes, but to fully animate them out would take up far longer than necessary, especially for a shounen series.

Okay, if the intended audience does find such things more helpful then I can see the value. I never would have thought of that because even when I was the target age and sometimes had to wait months before watching continuations of my favorite TV shows I didn't have trouble remembering details like that (and I was watching Lost in my early teens). I do think they could tone it back on having everyone's names and quirks floating around their heads in every episode, but having it sometimes is fine.

As for jokes losing the nuance if the class rankings are not floating around the character's heads I would say...maybe. When I initially made my statement that we didn't need to know their ranks I wasn't trying to imply that I didn't care about them nor that to a teenage audience shouldn't get caught up in it. Even in a different school system I remember how competitive my peers could get about grades, so I can imagine how important it is for Japanese teens. Really, I was trying to say that nuance can work in different ways. The way they executed these jokes was in this order 1. see their rank 2. see their reactions 3. understand their personal feelings 4. see how work off of each other 5. laugh. When I was suggesting using dialogue rather than the text boxes it would work more like this 1. See their reactions 2. see how they work off each other 3. piece together their ranking based on the scene and what we already know about them from previous episodes 4. understand their personal feelings 5. laugh. Maybe it's because almost everyone was ranked about where I expected they would be, with the exception being Mineta but that could be established with dialogue, but I could get pretty much every thought and laugh I had in this episode with alternate storytelling. The difference being that in a character driven story like this series has proven to be, I would have found it far more interesting (and potentially funnier) to have the characters tell the story rather than the text.
But of course not everyone's brain works the same way. If the target audience prefers this then it makes sense that they would tell things in this manner. Now my only question is if Japanese fans are sending the studio emails to quit with the constant labels, or emails saying give us more?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if Aizawa threw the match or not. I'm kind of inclined to believe his excuse, because it was exactly as he said - if he'd gone after her in that moment, Todoroki was right there to freeze or burn his ass, and since he didn't know the trick of her bonds, it probably seemed like the right choice.

Was she really leaving little grenades in her wake throughout the suburban neighborhood? o.o
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't know if Aizawa threw the match or not. I'm kind of inclined to believe his excuse, because it was exactly as he said - if he'd gone after her in that moment, Todoroki was right there to freeze or burn his ass, and since he didn't know the trick of her bonds, it probably seemed like the right choice.

Was she really leaving little grenades in her wake throughout the suburban neighborhood? o.o

They were flash grenades. No real collateral damage.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Great episode! Amazing looking as always. Mainly that close-up of Todo's face with the flames when the cloth is falling.

Iida screaming Reciproburst and Reciproextend always gets me. Anticipating Michael Tatum voicing this part. I think, while I like the JP va, that he does a better Iida. His voice is just perfect.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
So, was that a coincidence or is Aoyama actually a tactical genius in the disguise of an air-headed narcissist? And how much more adorable can Kouta get?! I think i've found my new favourite minor character! Smile

Definitely looking forward to the Deku/Bakugo "teamwork" next week!
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
So, was that a coincidence or is Aoyama actually a tactical genius in the disguise of an air-headed narcissist?

spoiler[Coincidence. He isn't playing up a doofus when he actually is brilliant, his narcissistic personality is to cover up how he feels inferior to everyone. If he did come up with some plan, it'd probably be something where he would be the one in most danger, not Uraraka as she was getting sucked up by Thirteen's black hole.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Merida wrote:
So, was that a coincidence or is Aoyama actually a tactical genius in the disguise of an air-headed narcissist?

spoiler[Coincidence. He isn't playing up a doofus when he actually is brilliant, his narcissistic personality is to cover up how he feels inferior to everyone. If he did come up with some plan, it'd probably be something where he would be the one in most danger, not Uraraka as she was getting sucked up by Thirteen's black hole.]

i always though of that guy or kamanari as the series joke character, while mineta as a comic relief character with his perverted antics .

also i dont think that was a coincidence. i mean he was the only one who picked up on that and used it to his advantage. he's basically a narcissist version of shikamaru and this will show his tactical side in the later arcs of the manga , especially one involving the yakuza .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Merida wrote:

I really don't think that was coincidence. Uraraka reacting like that was clearly his intention. Aoyama might seem like an air-head, but that scene is, imo, supposed to show us that he's actually quite observant of his surroundings.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
edmg7 wrote:
Kokuryu Daimao wrote:
...I think the biggest thing about some of the criticism I'm seeing is that people are forgetting the most important thing about MHA. Is that its first and foremost a Shounen series....I remember talking to a friend about DragonBall Z and how I hated that the first 5-10 mins of some episodes was nothing but recapping what had already happened before. My friend, who was the exact age of the target demographic when that series first aired, told me those recaps actually helped him to remember the story as he had to wait week to week to see what happened. ...

The second thing I'll comment on is the whole Class rankings and how it influences character interaction and development...If you rewatch the classroom scene, you'll also realize that the "show, don't tell" storytelling is present, but sometimes younger viewers need help understanding what they are seeing. ...Because of the signs and the ranking, many get the jokes. They might not be fully aware of Why they get the jokes, but to fully animate them out would take up far longer than necessary, especially for a shounen series.

Okay, if the intended audience does find such things more helpful then I can see the value. I never would have thought of that because even when I was the target age and sometimes had to wait months before watching continuations of my favorite TV shows I didn't have trouble remembering details like that (and I was watching Lost in my early teens)....But of course not everyone's brain works the same way....

Count yourselves blessed that you have trouble relating to the constant reminders of things in a show with episodes only one week apart, yes your brains are different from the average. I'm not sure if young people in the US are getting dumber (as they act like it!) or if the permissive society is letting them be lazier but I believe the reminders in MHA are likely helpful to the majority of viewers, evidenced by the fact that snack items and fast food fare that were discontinued a few years ago are being brought back as "new" assuming the young consumers won't remember that they aren't. I discovered long ago that my friends didn't remember what they or I said a week or two later despite the fact that I remembered everything for years.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up.

I enjoy the visual aspect, i enjoy the themes.

But something about the show makes me feel like it is playing softball with me. I really don't feel sold on many of the interactions or combats. It isn't the source material either, I can peek at pages of the manga and be totally onboard.

Like the recent Yao episode. They built up some of her inferiority aspects and doubt, and then in this next combat we know she is feeling issues, we know someone's gonna give her the pep talk, and we know she'll overcome this.

Is the show broadcasting its intent too far in advance? People loved the Uraraka v AngryGruntKid fight back a dozen episodes ago, but I was almost entirely unmoved. Heck, the entire AngryGruntKid v Deku rivalry makes me bored to the maximum extent. I do not look forward to the next fight at all.

In this thread I see a recent conversation about the class ranking numbers appear above their heads. While some ranking reveals were funny, how deep into the show did it take to get to these rankings? How often have they been interacting thusfar? Aside from shocking reveals they provided nothing. Remember when they were in the locker room and Mineta wanted to peep? When it pans over to the girl's room we don't get a long drawn out sequence where they show each girl's 3 numbers as a setup. We just get a one liner as to whom was not mentioned.

It seems the show lingers on the parts I least care about, and races past the cool bits. How many people expressed awe that Deku left them an empty text message during the Stain arc? I think at least three. We have the plot gears turning into motion but they chose that to keep bringing up.

I must restate I'm enjoying the show. But there's this clunky feeling laid out above that I can't quite articulate as to what is holding it back from being far better. I can tell this is supposed to be far better.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty decent battle, but it hurts me to see All Might wasting his transformed time on something like this. That's probably the wrong way to view his remaining time, but with him coughing up blood, I can't help it. He should be saving it for real bad guys, even if this is still important for bringing up the next gen. Smile
SeeKai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
One query, the manga talks about the infancy of Bakugou and Midoriya, about how Bakugou started to hate Midoriya when they were little?.
Mojave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
One thing I really loved about this episode was just how brutal and vicious it was willing to get. No, I'm not some bloodthirsty gore freak, hear me out. The rest of the exams were presented in a lighthearted, almost fun nature. The tone has been like the students were playing a game with the teachers. Sometimes they won, sometimes they lost, but the battles were very clearly just a play-acting version of combat, not analogous to actual combat with villains.

With Deku and Bakugou's fight, however, both the viewers and the students were given a reminder just how high the stakes are with the moves the villains have been making, and that these exams are meant to be a step in preparing them for that harsh reality. All Might is overwhelmingly more powerful than the students, and he shows them what that difference in power looks like. You'll notice how serious all the students watching the fight on the monitor become. They had all already had their exam, but they hadn't experienced the seriousness and harshness that they're witnessing here.

So the two students in the class who have the biggest aspirations are used to show to both them and the entire class just how brutal and difficult what they're working towards is. Sure, Deku and Bakugou have teamwork issues, but the sudden ramp-up in brutality isn't mostly about that. It's like that had been planned from the very start, that this battle was going to be an example to the entire class. The teacher battle Bakugou and Deku got was nothing like the ones all their classmates got.

And the fact that the episode was willing to illustrate this harsh reality, the vicious brutality of the battle, was a great thing for getting those themes across to the viewer, to remind them that these weren't just some fun, good-natured games for the students. It was a reminder of how high the stakes are, and what the academy is really there for.

While the episode wasn't perfect, I do have to rank it incredibly high for the fact that it was willing to explore some very difficult and unpleasant territory, instead of wimping out and using its shonen nature as an excuse.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Hmm, that episode felt strangely underwhelming to me. While it certainly wasn't bad by any stretch, i'd expected something more...surprising (not exactly "Deku and Bakugo becoming BFF" level of "surprising" but some kind of change in their relationship maybe...)? While i enjoyed the action, i couldn't help thinking "that's it?" at the end. But perhaps i just got myself unrealistically hyped up...

Seeing All Might as the "villain" was a (rather scary) treat, though. I guess everybody should be really glad he's in the hero's camp, even if he's not at 100% of his power anymore.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 37

I wasn't impressed by this episode at all. Neither Bakugo or Midoriya grew as a character. At the end of the episode, they were both pretty much the same and did not learn from each other. I want to think that Bakugo learned to work together with people, but he was very stubborn until the end, and I am not sure his character intends to be more than that. All Might did his best though. I think Allmight really showed the students what they would have to face if they were fighting a villain, and even then it seemed like Allmight was holding back.

Midoriya had multiple opportunities to put Bakugo in his place, but instead Midoriya kept being friendly and admiring. At some point, Midoriya and the others should just realize that Bakugo is being a jerk and let him figure that out on his own.

I think there was too much focus on Bakugo's attitude than there was on actually thinking of a plan to succeed. Midoriya should have realized that Allmight's close combat skills would have made him vulnerable to being handcuffed, but they instead decided to run from the most powerful and fastest opponent they could have faced. It wasn't a good plan. There plan the whole time was running as fast as they could. It was the least impressive passing grade among them all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 81