• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Guy's, girls and fridges, calm down. Stuff you're complaining about has an explanation. The problem is that people can't just come here, spoilers ablaze trying to shut you out at every turn.

Don't like the show, don't watch it. Or at least wait until someone, who had the same complaints as yours but decided to give it a watch, tell you it's "safe to go".
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Why are people trying to take the fun out of Magus Bride?

Last edited by Animechic420 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Okay. Why are people trying to taking the fun out of Magus Bride?

There will always be people in any media who will do these sorts of things and many arguments ensue. For me, personally, I just don’t have really any issues with The Ancient Magus Bride so far, (It has only been one episode), so all I can do is disagree with those having these personal problems and just moving on. For some, that can be easier said than done, but the fact is that there will not be anything that will ever please everybody.

Anyway, for this season, I will be watching the following:

The Ancient Magus Bride
Kino’s Journey
Land of the Lustrous
Girls’ Last Tour
Juni Taisin
Anime-Gataris
Konohana Kitan
Magical Circle Guru-Guru

I’ll be hoping good things can happen in each of these series as well as other shows that I will not be watching this season, but other people are.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who is judging Magus Bride based only on the first episode should watch the three-episode OVA which takes place some time after Chise arrives at Elias's home. Their relationship is pretty familial with Elias portrayed largely as a caring person. It's also one of the loveliest pieces of animation I've seen in some time.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
If you think Inuyashiki's good now, just wait. This should be one of the better series of the fall.
Mhora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Thank God for Inuyashiki! < 3
This will be the one show I see with my partner every week for the of the year.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Inuyashiki - The first third of this episode made the show look like it was going to be the adventures of sad old man. It does a great job of showing you how hopeless he feels and why he feels that way. It isn't just that life has beaten him down but that even his own family doesn't have any respect for him in a way that unfortunately is true to life. The aliens who turned two people into android weapons because they were too lazy to fix things the right way was also a nice bit of humor. It is incredibly rare to see an action anime about an old man and I am very curious to see where it goes.

yuna49 wrote:
Anyone who is judging Magus Bride based only on the first episode should watch the three-episode OVA which takes place some time after Chise arrives at Elias's home. Their relationship is pretty familial with Elias portrayed largely as a caring person. It's also one of the loveliest pieces of animation I've seen in some time.
The OVA is both a prequel and sequel to the first season of the show and I watched it before I had watched the first episode. It does contain spoilers but if anyone is worried about The Ancient Magus' Bride than it probably would be a good idea to watch the OVA.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too impressed with how they are adapting Inuyashiki. The whole episode just screamed to me as, "let's cut out as much scenes as possible so we can squeeze robot action into the first episode!". I very much doubt that the team has as much confidence in the story as they should if they have to resort to that. The episode feels very disjointed compared to the first few chapters they've adapted, and by that I mean 7 chapters, including the massive chapter 1. That's a lot of cut contents and building up just to get to the action scene. Needless to say, compared to what it could have been, it's rather flat.

From the look of it they are probably trying to adapt the whole manga into a single season (if not then it's even worse, because that'd pretty much prove my point). I'm quite worried the story will suffer from that. While the later chapters which are more action oriented could easily be speed through, they seem to not mind cutting out and butchering the non-action parts. It will holds out because of the strong source material. However, if that's the direction it is heading in, as an adaptation it is quite disappointing. It is especially disappointing when illustrations in the manga during the action scene are able to convey movements better than its animated counter part.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I just voted for my daily review choices, you can thank me later... Twisted Evil
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Lots of potential in Inuyashiki.

Quite enjoying Infini-T Force, just finished ep 3, not a lot of surprises, but it is really pretty fun if you like these kinds of transforming hero anime. I'll be watching this the rest of the way. The main group is pretty fun interacting as well, kind of in a Tiger & Bunny kind of way. Though obviously not quite as accessible since these are known characters so while they do introduce themselves to each other and stuff like that it's not like we're getting in-depth introductions to each of them.

Rika Hue wrote:
BBB&B ep. 1 was the premiere I enjoyed the most. So good to see all the characters and their crazy antics again.

It's so good to have them back!

dtm42 wrote:
There was a lot to like about Children of the Whales and its first episode. Pleasant character designs, eye-catching art style, mysterious-yet-intriguing setting, some nice ideas in the story, and a kind of Ghibli-esque feel (which I think is a plus).

Yeah, this show seems it's got the potential to be really special.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 am; edited 3 times in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Inuyashiki: Man was that guy's life sad. Family won't even pick up his calls when he finds out he has cancer. The soon to be not homeless guy's story was touching too. The direction was nice and I think the CG was well enough done. I agree that the OP is one of if not the best this season, but I think the ED was also well done as well. I was anticipating this one but it is definitely different that what I expected in some aspects. Guess they still had some good stuff left, eh?

Not this next one though. I didn't think King's Game was that bad after the first episode, but part way through the second, I had to go "Yeah, this is trash", particularly after one character's turn (though some stuff before then wasn't great either). I'm still watching it, just not for the same reasons.

This was definitely an awkward time to decide on whether to vote for Dies Irae. I want to wait to see episode 1 to come to a conclusion about the series, but I can't in good conscience vote for it based on the first episode alone. So unless it picks up the hate vote, I'm going to have to say tough luck, Dies Irae.

After Inuyashiki, I think I have my schedule for the season set:

Ancient Magus' Bride
BBB&B
Gintama
Osomatsu-san 2
Kino's Journey
Garo Vanishing Line
Inuyashiki
March 2
Juni Taisen
Food Wars 3
Yuki Yuna
Just Because!
Girl's Last Tour
Umaru R
IM@S SideM
MMO Junkie
LLSS 2
Land of the Lustrous
Konohana Kitan
Blend-S
Hozuki 2
Anime-Gataris
A Sister's All You Need
UQ Holder
URAHARA
Black Clover
Two Car
WUG 2
Shobitch
King's Game

Shorts:
Love is Like a Cocktail
Cinderella Girls Theatre 2

Dies Irae in two episode consideration

And Ballroom, Guru Guru, Altair and Youkai Apartment as carryovers, and Boruto, Conan, DBS, and One Piece from long running.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Alexis.Anagram - I am not familiar with the Ancient Magus' Bride's source material, but given your display of aggrieved irritation - oops, I mean "boredom" - at what you've seen so far, I highly recomend you give your sensibility a break and drop the show. I really don't see the element you find so annoying - oops, I mean "boring" - going away as it's pretty much baked into the premise.

Soooo you have nothing to add to the conversation other than, "I actually don't know what I'm talking about," and, "Let me put words in your mouth."
You do know you're welcome to speak to your own feelings, there's no need to involve yourself in conjecture surrounding mine.

Terrible90sDub wrote:
I've gotten through things deemed far worse than this and they didn't bother me, but if the concept is already uncomfortable here... I've seen a lot of people claiming it goes away, but it sounds like your reaction was similar to mine, so it might be hard to put aside going forward, as I felt the more I read, the more I felt uneasy at their relationship.

Yeah, though as uncomfortable as the things you've mentioned make me (yuck to the spoilery bits), I'm not worried so much that I can't handle it as that it won't hold my interest. I've seen this plot play out and it takes a lot of work to make it believable: so far, neither Chise nor Elias are characterized with enough presence to justify the dynamic in which we're apparently expected to become invested. It's the general plot and setting which has my attention right now. On a character level, I'm pretty ambivalent, which leaves a lot of room for improvement...or not.

I agree with you that this would be more effective if Chise was, let's say, less scripted. There doesn't seem to be any compass or center to her as a character (at least not one which has been established): she moves as if ensconced in scenario; dry and monotone one minute, blushing and virginal the next, until she settles in to a kind of standard bearer of "familial" values-messaging which unfortunately does nothing to separate her from the masses. And yes, I know it's one episode, but that episode wasn't very productive on this front. That's all I'm saying.

Key wrote:
she's hardly in a healthy headspace to begin with. Chise is very much a broken individual who's gradually putting her life together (rather than one of the instant-fixes we too often see in anime and manga) and she learns a lot about how to do that by working with other broken individuals

It's the framing that really blunders this up, though. Again, the scene with Chise and the bath is played as light-hearted dare-I-say-moe fare, and the "titular reveal" is just kind of dropped into the end of the episode as a jovial aside, with the punchline being Chise's uncertain-- was she even affected?-- response. What are we supposed to take away from that? It isn't juxtaposition (although Chise's insistence that she doesn't want Elias to undress her is certainly difficult to laugh at): it doesn't inform me about the direction or tone of the show; rather, it leads me to believe the story is kind of blissfully tone-deaf. The writer seems too busy trying to have their cake and eat it, too. We want a broken heroine, but not too broken to make fun of her helplessness-- even though the drama of her circumstances is such that she was willing to literally sell herself into slavery to get away from it all. We want a guy who pits her in a quasi-possessive quasi-teacher-student relationship-- but he's only quasi-human, so he's only quasi-accountable, and we'll decide when his comprehension of appropriate human behavior counts and when it conveniently lapses! Separate it out from all question of political correctness and it's still pretty messy even within the theoretical vacuum of romance anime.

Thanks for the advice about sticking through to episode 3! That's about as long as I give most series to get their act together. I'm not convinced this show is lacking in emotion, though: I just want a more coherent argument for its working motif.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I loved every moment of Inuyashiki! Terrific OP too.

Rebecca wrote:
and more worryingly the jerk teenager near him

How do you know he's a jerk? I mean he might be, but he had a grand total of 11 seconds of screen time, during which he said and did nothing but stand there looking at the sky the same way the dog was. Was it the hoodie? oO

Rebecca wrote:
...no one else came to help the man they were tormenting despite the fact that it was obvious something bad was going on in the park.

To whom? There was nobody else in the park besides Ichiro for it to be obvious to. And anyone without his super hearing would've assumed it was just rowdy kids setting off fireworks, which is not an uncommon activity if anime is any indication.

Nick really doesn't like science fiction, does he. Or maybe he just thinks it should stick to superficial action like Buck Rogers or something? I don't think I've ever seen him praise anything that used the sci-fi genre to tell its story.

Jacob wrote:
since this was written by the creator of GANTZ

Damn, way to put a damper on things. :/ I expect it will be turning to complete shit by episode 5. Hope springs eternal though... Just let Theron do the weekly reviews. Smile
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
I'm not too impressed with how they are adapting Inuyashiki. The whole episode just screamed to me as, "let's cut out as much scenes as possible so we can squeeze robot action into the first episode!". I very much doubt that the team has as much confidence in the story as they should if they have to resort to that. The episode feels very disjointed compared to the first few chapters they've adapted, and by that I mean 7 chapters, including the massive chapter 1. That's a lot of cut contents and building up just to get to the action scene. Needless to say, compared to what it could have been, it's rather flat.

From the look of it they are probably trying to adapt the whole manga into a single season (if not then it's even worse, because that'd pretty much prove my point). I'm quite worried the story will suffer from that. While the later chapters which are more action oriented could easily be speed through, they seem to not mind cutting out and butchering the non-action parts. It will holds out because of the strong source material. However, if that's the direction it is heading in, as an adaptation it is quite disappointing. It is especially disappointing when illustrations in the manga during the action scene are able to convey movements better than its animated counter part.

If this first episode was "cutting a lot out" then, strictly from an anime-only viewer's perspective, I think the cuts were correct ones. The episode wouldn't have been near as compelling without covering everything that it did, and extending out the pre-alien part would have been overkill. You have to remember that manga timing and anime episode timing are rarely equivalent (although admittedly this season's AMB does seem to be an exception!).

Still, I'd be interested in a detailed account of what got cut out (with appropriate spoiler tags, of course).

Alexis.Anagram: Yeah, AMB's sense of humor is, IMO, its weak point. I've never been a fan of otherwise-serious series that drop in SD moments for humorous asides, and AMB is definitely not one of the better ones out there at integrating them. Fortunately that isn't meant to be one of the series' selling points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GreatAntibob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Inuyashiki - Some posts on this now and several staff reviews of the first episode and no mention that it's basically a modernist, anime take on Kurosawa's "Ikiru" (with SF tropes like space aliens and transhumanism tossed in). Seriously, go watch the movie (a seriously good one - maybe Kurosawa's best, which is saying a lot) and then watch this episode again. The callouts are blatant, from the disrespect he gets from his kids, to the stomach cancer, to the scene he's singing on the playground swing set, and ultimately how he finds fulfillment and purpose in a heretofore unsatisfying, meaningless life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 37