• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
This was an expected conclusion, I had my share of fun for this shows set up and wasn't too annoyed by the nature that "I am over prepared" protagonist as he was playing a faux-villain most of the time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Well that was fairly fun. I will say that I appreciate the idea of a character fooling the other into thinking certain attacks and such are better than others, a battle really should all be about deception.

Talking about the series in general, it was kind of slow. Overlord spends so much time building up I don't think they always hit the needed climax. It was fairly well made, but not entirely happy with the pacing as a single cour. Maybe some high expectations.

I give a rating of Good, Although I liked certain parts very much, and wish there was more.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
oddly didn't find any of the women to be particularly attractive.

I know I said that, but I must admit this gets a thumbs up from me.
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Although Overlord end up pretty far from being memorable as a loyal reader of the novel I'm still happy with what was delivered.

Yes the pacing was strange for a 13 episodes show and the lack of some background info hurts the more climatic moments, but overall it was a well made introduction to the Overlord world with the main character, motivations and unique elements (such as the MMO-like fights) of the series being competently presented.

Now to the main point. I do like how So-bin draws Narberal and it's somewhat different from the anime design, and there's also my favorite girl from the series. I just can't understand how there's so little love for Shizu around the internet...truly disappointing.
Lanvidia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Goddamn wallet warrior, think there so good because they got a credit card Laughing

It had me grinning with how realistic that part was. You want a fair fight? Cash shop item! Cash shop item! Cash shop item!
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Got done watching this. Overall I thought it was pretty good, no over the top anime cliches and was nicely detailed for a fantasy setting. I do agree that some background information was lacking. The characters were also very likable and not over the top with their personalities, even Narberal. It would be nice to see if there would possibly be a second season but with things the way they are in the anime world I'm not going to hold my breath.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
That was so good. Haven't enjoyed an anime as much since Darker Than Black. I hope they don't take too long with a second season.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Season 2 is coming on January 9th.

Episode 1 came out today,Jan 1st-Nice New Year's surprise.
A bit too much setup/exposition,but the world building was needed I reckon.
Though with some of the episode's cameos,Zesshi Zetsumei & Captain of the Black Scripture.are a nod to readers ?

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
The first episode felt a little heavy, complicated to just start up with characters more new, before getting back to the more familiar and recapping the important part of their personalities. Hopefully it was just a case of being a little tiered. Just started a bit too much like I was not sure if I was watching the right show.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
The closet Schizo... ahem, overpowered LARP is back for another season. Unlike the first season which more or less set the tone from the off (overpowered but extremely cautious gamer turned otherworld overlord slowly finding his feet) this one seems to throw a bit of unpredictability into the mix with the considerably expanded ensemble cast. The OP has a few hints of who's fighting who later on, while it looks like Ainz has to work against one of his erstwhile guardians once more.

The SD comic skit has also gone for a left-field choice by pitching Ainz as the CEO of a great corporation (which he has no clue about whatsoever). Typically the laughs are played out by seeing the usually unflappable Ainz revert to his true human gamer/office worker self when taken completely by surprise. I'm expecting more of the same, though the laughs should still come hard and fast.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I think this first episode is a decent start with what it had to work with so far for the second season.

This felt like a solid way to reintroduce the series again with Ainz fighting in his knight armor.

Albedo's return was quite the way as I had expected with her admiration towards Ainz. It felt more like a buildup episode though for the remainder of the season as we are introduced to some of the lizardmen. With 13 episodes, I'm rather curious to see how they plan to showcase the other characters, outside of the usual Nazarick group. Humor wise, Shalltear's personality never ceases to amuse me in this franchise.

I'm going to miss the old OP song. While the new one has its style, I prefer the original from the first season.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Heh, the lizard dude courting the female lizard was funny. That mating call or whatever it was had me laughing out loud.

So is it Ains' army led by the large blue tanky looking dude that's coming to kill these lizardmen?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
It isn't just Ainz and his crew who are meticulous and conservative, even lizardmen tribes with the conventional stereotype of all brawn and no brain have the same approach to sudden declarations of war from unknown forces.

Although there's an entertaining insight into the courtship rituals of high-ranking lizardfolk, the episode doesn't really do much other than go through the gears as the lizards attempt to present a united front against the unknown invader. Based on the language employed, it's almost certainly Ainz with the field general role taken up by Cocytus.

The after-credits side story is as entertaining as always. Having the Pleiades take up secretarial roles in the new company makes plenty of sense, although having one member primarily in charge of after-hours drinking is taking things a bit too far...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 2So is it Ains' army led by the large blue tanky looking dude that's coming to kill these lizardmen?

That was my guess, too. I wonder what Ains has against the Lizzies? It's true that not a ton happened, but I actually found it kind of entertaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 22