• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newtype USA to Cease Publication

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, and I was just going to buy Newtype today....damn.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
aw man...

and i loved the publication so much that i had the subscription since the beginning...except the first issue...

first it's Geneon's exit...now this.....i can't take anymore deaths....

i'm gonna go cry some more....

Newtype USA was THE best anime magazine imo with so much articles and not to mention preview DVD....

i hope the next publication is just as awesome as NTUSA was...

my subscription had 4 more issues to go and also received renewal reminder...

DAMM!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Moogle-X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Or perhaps, the owners of Newtype wanted a bigger piece of the pie when it came time to renew their contracts and ADV did a cost/profit ratio and figured out they'd do better without the new deal.

I for one hope it the new magazine is not just a vaporware bait and switch (remember the ADV/Geneon deal?). Too many good companies downsizing and going out for my tastes these days. Newtype USA will be missed, but hopefully the new magazine will be a little more focused on the US market than alot of translated Japanese articles for shows not out here yet (which I found to be abundant in the US publication).
CakeStealer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Aww, I can't beileve this news. NewType was, by far, one of my favorite anime magazines in the US. Im really going to miss everything about it.

AnimeCornerStore wrote:
Gary Stienman has a great crew down there and I'm not aware of any staff layoffs, and they seem excited at the prospect of putting together a new publication and expanding their circulation base now that they will be free of the strings that came with the license from kodakawa. They told me that they are going to try to make something great even better.

I think their intention is for current subscriptions to continue into the new publication, but rather than speculate everyone should sit tight for a few days and give them a chance to make a formal announcement.

If what you say is true, then I hope they bring the old staff from NewType, too. Although I'll miss NewType, I'll have to see what ADV pulls out of their hats for this new publication. =3 Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:45 pm Reply with quote
My life just died! NTUSA was the magazine I wanted to be lead graphic artist of...! Shocked

I'm so looking into this and look forward to the new publication. Otakusa is nothing compared to NTUSA in quality and great design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jpdsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The magazine always had nice pictures.
IndigoSkies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that sucks. What'll happen to subscriptions? My friend just got a subscription for Christmas, she hasn't even gotten one issue yet.
I liked Newtype USA, but it was way too expensive for me to buy that often or get a subscription for...
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what's going on? It seems like every other week, we get news of some major staple in the anime community stopping production. Geneon's gone, Hirameki stopped publishing novels, the Anime Network is being discontinued, and now Newtype!? I don't mean to be a pessimist, but these past few months have had quite a few sad announcements.

I only had a Newtype subscription for a year, but I greatly enjoyed it. They had very intelligent writers who wrote many interesting articles. It may have been expensive, but it was a high quality magazine. I hope this replacement retains some of the great features of NTUSA.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
i wonder if ADV will do Animage USA instead?

that'll be hiliarious! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LordRobin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Newtype had complete and proper editorial distance from ADV. ADV's marketing team had no easier a time getting coverage in the magazine than any other company.

David Williams and Matt Greenfield were hosting one of their Anime Expo ADV panels one year when someone asked how they fought the perception that Newtype USA would give special treatment to ADV properties.

"We strung barbed wire across the hallway leading to the Newtype offices."

[audience cracks up]

"They think we're joking."
"No, seriously. We actually strung barbed wire across the hallway."

------RM
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Geez- it hasn't been that long since I renewed my subscription, too.

I'm hoping this new magazine mentioned is worthwhile... specifically, I'm hoping the DVDs continue- I really loved those sampler discs. Cost is a concern too... if the new magazine, say, halves the costs to make it more accessible to fans, is that $80 I just put into a year's subscription getting doubled too? I'm gonna be mad if there's a price change not reflected in subscription length.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I never liked Newtype USA because of the fact that was so biased on North american releases and less coverage on what it was in japan, Newtype Japan and Animedia where far more better.

I got 10 issues of Newtype USA and they dissapointed me to no end, the early volumes were more focused, but the latest volumes have been used to indulge the tastes of current fanboys, so, no, I dont feel the death, In fact OTAKU USA as a maganzine was way more open and honest, so there.
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
I never liked Newtype USA because of the fact that was so biased on North american releases and less coverage on what it was in japan, Newtype Japan and Animedia where far more better.

hense the title "Newtype USA"....emphasis on "USA"...
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:

Maybe because it was distributed in N. America...? There were plenty of features/NTExpresses on new Japanese shows, so I never had a problem there. They're definitely not biased -- quite the opposite, in fact.

ichido reichan wrote:
In fact OTAKU USA as a maganzine was way more open and honest, so there.

Thing is, I don't like the air around that one. It seems negative and not very open to all kinds of fans. (No, just "Otaku"...) Seemed to me like they had more features on NA releases than NTUSA ever did... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DKong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Bleh, I don't really care. Otaku USA all the way!

Reasons why I like it over Newtype USA:
- has many familiar names in the anime community: Patrick Macias, Daryl Surat (anime world order), Dave Riley (dave and joel), Clarissa Graffeo (anime world order), and a few more...

- cheaper (not by much, but it is)

- has the same extra crap as Newtype (dvds, manga, etc)

- has more full fledged articles- to me, NTUSA seems to be all pictures, little text....and if there was text, it was just a description of a show....I like how Otaku USA has actual articles and whatnot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14