• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
Almost felt like this show never really left with the familiar mood.

Good to see they're reintroducing many of the characters from the previous season. I'm excited to see how this will develop in particular with characters like Freya in this sequel. I think they got a neat start for its expanding range of characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:39 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

So the ED, which has Hestia and Bell joined with Lili, Welf and Mikoto, is the new Hestia Familia? Well, feels like long wait for Lili to have joined, her familia being straight up awful, so good to see that she was able to get Soma to move and let her out of it. The other two are probably lucky that their gods are also friends with Hestia. Maybe I should chuck in a corney line about Welf being able to see if he can swap the furnace for Hestia's hearth. At least look like Hestia might have a bit of a team, with addition of Ryuu.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:11 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

The Hestia familia just tore Apollo a big one. Hestia managing to put the final touches on the defeat by making him lose all his property, all his members are removed from his familia, and his is banned from the city. Sounds a little rough in ways, but the guy was a total jerk that had already destroyed Hestia's old place, pulled a lot of awful things even to force people into his familia, and not to mention the taunting and general picking on of someone he thought was weak.

Lili especially showed her stuff, disguising herself as that little weasel that picked the fight earlier, sending confusing instructions as him, and managing to save Bell at an opportune moment. Or really the five of them really managed to work wonders.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:30 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

The red light (Pleasure) District. Would be nice if the show not be too weird about sex, like act like prostitutes are tainted just because of their profession. The introduced Haruhime herself seeing herself as dirtied because she is such. Sure things like a sex industry is not exactly PG, but a good amount of pieces I have seen is an important to not demonize it, and have things in place. One would guess that a goddess, Ishtar, pretty much watching over the pleasure district, could mean that everyone involved would be treated with respect and humanity, although something like apparently Haruhime being sold into it, does not help. Neither would Hermes apparently not being happy with whatever his experience was with Ishtar, and the fact that Bell was apparently kidnapped by a bunch of rappey Amazons.

In theory I am not entirely against the characteristics of the Amazons, they sound a lot like the Gerudo from The Legend of Zelda, and so interesting to have the power dynamic of sexuality with warrior women race. Still, sexual assault by women onto men should not be used as a joke, as it is not in good taste.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

Did Bell just confess to Hestia? Or was it that he is in earnest just ready to think about it? Wonder if any of the other girls in the series can match that promise she made of staying with him regardless of how he changes compared to her, and will track down his soul even after death. Goddess was smooth. A really nice episode too, focused on the village that is protected by dragon scales, and has me wonder if Ais lost her parents to the beast. But also the mayor, him passing on and Hestia helping him feel at ease.

Some conflicting thoughts about the second season. The first is that I like that there were development with things, Hestia getting more members for her familia, and them getting some new digs. Great idea of Hestia being a big joke to the other gods, and having her rub it into one's face. Being savage after how they were treated. On the other hand, this season was kind of light in the dungeon aspect. There was barely any dungeon delving, and nothing that really played into the story, except ambushed by the Amazons. I can see that it was fitting to go from getting their place, to also having Haruhime, with lots of interesting themes. But these kind of pulled away from the important setting .

I am really not against the learning how things work in Oriario, the culture and politics, or even work of managing a guild, those were nice things of the first season. But I would really want anything next to really be around the dungeon, the work of not just Bell, Lili and Welf, but Mikoto joined too, and I don't know if Haruhime will also take part. I hear that there is more to come, including the stinger that happened at the end of this season from inside the dungeon, so I look forward. The season kind of felt a bit busy, I did not get nearly enough Lili and Welf. Welf with his goal of smithing. Lili just my favourite.

No real other drop in quality, it clear that J.C. staff put the right amount of attention on it, and they were really busy this season, also doing Two Hit Combo Mom, Demon Girl Next Door, and Scientific Accelerator. Things moved forward, and it was an overall fulfilling season. I give a rating of Very good (8/10), one of the don't misses of the season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:09 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 1

Kind felt like the episode rushed through things a bit. Bell finds monster girl, Bell reveals her to the others, they have monster girl back at home and they name her, and then several scenes split between Haruhime and Bell bonding with Wiene, and the search for information about talking monsters. It felt like things happened fast, which maybe was okay instead of what happened in this episode being spread out over two episodes. Was a little confused who the little elf girl was, before figuring out that it must be Lili transformed.

So, is Bell going to make a friend with all the monsters?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:40 am Reply with quote
Wiene is a stone cutie. Too bad her name is so close to being Weiner. Not much for me to say about the episode other than I liked it and it's got me primed for the rest of the series.
leconv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:28 am Reply with quote
first episode was great fun. This is not a great anime nore a great story, but i do enjoy it a lot.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 12 (finale)

We finally got that minotaur that had been getting glimpses of all season. The big surprise of the previous episode was that he was helping people, while he kind of had felt implied through his earlier appearances as maybe just a mindless monster like the earlier minotaur in the series. This episode revealed that this minotaur was in a previous life the same one Bell fought, and although not mindless he had been training by himself, feeling the need to have a rematch against Bell. Bell apparently lost this rematch, but good that no one had to die. Would be great if they could solve their issues better without these more violent stuff.

I still don't understand why people were so freaked out at even the idea that these monsters might even be emotional. Like they understood they were dangerous, but it was like they were more terrified of the idea that they might be more, that Bell would have his life ruined because whatever dig they would put at his honor in protecting them would be preferred than understanding why he might do so. Were they thinking Bell was just a total failure in wanting to protect them, or were they terrified of not being able to make monsters as mindless things they can kill. Especially with the Loki Familia, where Ains just got more and more upset before Wiene tore her wing and claws off to show the pain she would cause herself over another. You also had the dwarf guy, whos actions of rage don't feel like they make sense if they thought the monsters could only be mindless, same with their leader.

I also kind of feel dumb, of feeling like I do not understand why things had to take the path it did. Like why they could not just reveal that some monsters had seemingly been born with a soul, and won't be a risk. I guess maybe that goes against my understanding that humans can be freaking stupid and cruel to things that they don't understand or are different from them. Like maybe monsters are actually like some sort of common enemy that people see as a reason that the different races are not fighting among themselves.

Anyway, my rating is Good (7/10), it was good, but I do feel a bit confused at the same time. I also like some lighter stuff too. more interactions with the silly Xenos members.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm so excited for this show to come back, I even watched the recap.

It's just so refreshing to jump back to this kind of heroism fantasy, because it feels like the dominant fantasy these days is "what if I had infinite power and could smugly obliterate my enemies who don't have a chance." The idea of a hero who has to... well... try seems to be dead.

You can see an interesting trend in the isekai genre along these lines. The modern isekai fantasy sends potato-kun (or a prick) into another world with enormous power, satisfying the fantasy of control without effort. But in the old days, the reason potato-kun was potato-kun wasn't just to leave a blank space to insert the viewer (though it definitely was that), but also to show someone relatable to the viewer achieving things. The fantasy was not having enormous power, but being put in a situation where you could matter. A lot of early isekai stuff didn't grant special powers to the protagonist, except for a specific context that made them the "Chosen One", and they'd succeed through the bonds they make and the effort they put in. It's a fantasy for the kids who feels like they're doing the best they can but the world they live in limits what they can really accomplish with that, not the ones who wish they could do whatever they want without trying. You could probably write a lot of words on how much of this is the shift from "isekai for girls" to "isekai for boys," but there was still plenty of male-targeted stuff where the characters had to put in some effort. Chosen One fantasy is just as much fantasy as Infinitely Powerful fantasy, but now that I've seen how eye-rolling the alternative can get, I'm so ready to go back to Chosen One fantasy.

So going back to Danmachi is going to be a breath of fresh air for me. A hero who isn't significantly more powerful than the people around him, who has to rely on others to help him, who sometimes has to rely on luck, who succeeds through struggle and in some cases still fails. It seems like it should be the standard (and I feel like it used to be), but these days, it's a rare breed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Well said, Yttrbio. I was discussing the recent trend of isekai OPness in some other thread not too long ago, just can't remember which one... there are a lot of potential candidates. My beef with OPness is that it breaks one of the fundamental "rules" of good story telling: having conflict with stakes. OPness is designed to only sate a viewer's wish fulfillment desire at the expense of excitement. Mind you, we've got a generation of viewers who have grown up watching people kick ass at video games on YouTube so I guess there's precedent for this utterly passive style of entertainment.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Although, if you go by what's considered the first isekai, Aura Battler Dunbine, the genre started out as "isekai for boys". What what also interesting about Dunbine is that its main protagonist isn't even a Chosen One, he's one of many characters in the show that's transported to the "other world". His only "power" as it was, was shared by everyone from our world, a stronger aura than the residents of the world they were transported to.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
My beef with OPness is that it breaks one of the fundamental "rules" of good story telling: having conflict with stakes.

While I agree with this fundamentally, one of my main problems with Danmachi is how the stakes it presents don't matter just a little while after the conflicts are done, it ends up feeling pretty artificial, or the author raising the stakes but then taking them back down once it's all done so you're assured there was no real risk from the beginning. Examples would be spoiler[Wiene getting revived and the city treating Bell like normal after he fights the Xenos Minotaur]. My opinion is definitely not the most common one when it comes to the series though, and as much as people can try to convince me it makes sense in universe/for the characters/etc, it still strikes me as cheap
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree. I have plenty of criticisms for Danmachi, and there are definitely some rather questionable long term choices. (have a dramatic death scene? Don't worry, random Joe Skeleton can walk in from off screen and cast Raise Dead) But at least within each arc, the stakes feel weighty enough to keep me engaged. I certainly don't go into each story with "I wonder what the main character has already planned and ensured victory for this time," which is more than I can say for a lot of shows. I would say that it's at least worth getting grumpy about the lack of follow-through in Danmachi, where there's really no point in even thinking about it in your typical OP show, because what difference would it make?

Re: Blood-'s point, I think you can totally have a show with an OP main character and still have stakes. It's just that the stakes can't be "beat the bad guy" or "solve the problem through his overwhelming power". Last season's "I'm Quitting Heroing" had a totally overpowered protagonist but still managed to keep me engaged by giving him problems he couldn't power his way through (at least in the back half of the show).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I should also point out that the points I was making earlier had to do with OPness in general and were not intended as praise for Danmachi specifically (although it's a show that I like).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10