• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs (Light Novel) Vol. 1

I actually enjoyed this light novel.

This teenage boy was forced to play this Otame game by his sister. DIes and is reborn into that Otame world. spoiler[He retains his knowledge of the playthroughs of the Otame game.]

The conceit of this light novel is that he is not a main character in the Otame game, but rather a back ground character.

What rather hooked me into this light novel is the world. This is a classic medieval fantasy world with working magic, but spoiler[there are major science fiction elements in the story and the world itself has a history, that appears it might have a bearing on where the story goes.]

Don't get me wrong, this is a light novel, so I would be surprised if it went too deep in the matter, but it is enough to keep me interested.

Also, since this is a light novel of an Otame game (world) it has the requisite reverse harem. spoiler[It might also be forming a regular harem too,] we shall see. It also plays heavy with the role reversal aspect of living in a full blown matriarchy.

While this is a light novel, it seems to have a bit of meat too it, and enough hooks for me to want more.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:13 am Reply with quote
I recently picked up volume 1 of the manga, and had forgotten I had read volume 1 of the light novel already.

So I picked up and read volume 2 and volume 3. It was a fast and enjoyable read. I enjoyed my time in their world. For the most part, I liked the characters, and some of the enemies. Some tragic backstories there.

Political intrigue, war, and literal continent destroying monsters. Mixture of science fiction, fantasy, and power of love (or rather a unique method of using the power of love spoiler[psionic attack] quite literally. Also, a most unexpected family reunion, but one a karmic proportions.

As I said, the whole series has been good and enjoyable reads, the only thing I can say negative about it, is I am not a fan of drawing out love stories. Katarina from that other series is forgivable, because it is an essential part of the series. But Leon Fou Bartfort takes it too far. He knows the girls love him, and he loves them back, but he is always running away. I can see that in a "gag" manga, but this is not a gag manga or light novel.

Volume 3 closes out the plot of the otome game story. Thereafter, Leon learns, that there were two sequels to the otome game. They came out after he died.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:34 am Reply with quote
Just started reading the 10th light novel of this series.

For me this series is still going strong.

Our heroes and idiots have entered the age of the third otome game (second sequel of the original otome game).

But this time the political foundations his allies are on, are asunder, which makes for hard times for his fiance Angelica.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1