• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saga of Tanya the Evil (TV + movie + special) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
That's right, he fired toward the civilians. Which is why he's all verklempt this episode. And yes, your point about the number of rockets being the limiting factor is correct. Didn't think of that. Can't say I have a very high opinion of the Empire's manufacturing sector...
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Since he's pointing the gun towards the camera, I got the impression that he was pointing the gun towards Tanya. I believe he is also holding the submachine gun Tanya stole from the Meowx dude so hearing just a single gun shot would be weird though a single gun shot could just be for dramatic effect. But if he shot towards the civilians then it all makes sense.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, I think the idea is that things were going along so it seemed like he might try to kill Tanya, but obviously he didn't. Ergo, there is nothing for Tanya to forgive. One thing that confused me is that there were only 11 members of Tanya's group going on the "one way ticket to Hell" mission. I guess the idea is that the others are either dead, wounded or missing? It's surprising, because for the longest time it seemed like the Mage Special Reaction Force wasn't taking any casualties at all.

That was true till this episode, where they appeared to be taking numerous casualties. Most likely because they had to hold the line to make the retreat look real. Though even with that, I agree with Cam0, that it was probably the number of manned rockets available.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

That dogfight was so good I had to rewind for a bit once I realised how good it looked. It was tense in Tanya really feeling like being put in a tough place. But added onto that, it is alone interesting that Tanya actually put herself in the line of fire to protect one of her men.

But then there was her breakdown after seeing how things being handled would bite them in the butt and return the war, and there no one would listen to her and help her do what could stop it. It was a palpable scene watching going off in frustration and well acted by the VAs.

I wonder how they will end the season? I think Studio NuT has really got attention with this show, and I can see them want to keep some of it open to return when able.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And no one listens to Tanya up to the point they see the hatred of man, and actions to move out of fear, and then smile gets taken off their faces and it is Tanya sent to clean up the mess. Although one person who can see the monster Tanya can be did at least lend an ear, and it is somewhat interesting that Tanya somewhat filled hinted to him that she is more than just some little girl in terms of experience.

It was not the end, the Empire pushed back the main threats but it has only turned to the rest of the world aiming their guns out of the hatred as well as fear. And most set up wise was Mary Sioux, someone the story was silently building up that it was no surprise to hear that she has a part in the source to act as a counterpoint to Tanya. Which if you have not caught it yet, her name can be pronounced as "Mary Sue", a name for an overpowered perfect insert character, which I can guess the series will make it a dark joke. I have my hopes up for a second season at some point. Tanya's evil speech against god at the end was kind of fantastic with how she turned the praise of god into practically a war against him, because to her he has already started it.

Going straight to rating, I am giving it Excellent (9/10). The show was dang good, not even just for good writing, good voice work, good animation, and atmospheric music, but that this show is crazy. The concept is nuts, but the show does not falter and like the war speeches it gives inside the show, it kind of feels like it is revving itself up that it will take normal conventions to war and shoot it in the head. Tanya is and would be the bad guy in anything else, and yet her charisma and ways to get you to kind of sympathise with her is just the trick to kind of make your mind to do a flip. Could you believe that the show could get you to cheer for a WWI/II Germany like army with all the talk of power and the like? Saving graces is that it is slightly removed from our world, and the real world racism that was such a problem with genocide is mostly removed, although there was always that city episode there to remind you rules twisted. It is dark that it could get you to kind of follow Tanya.

The series I feel kind of feel the need to connect to is Overlord, and I think it is that you are looking at two stories which take things like the transported to another world trope, and then have us follow the bad guys, maybe even make us question what the bad guys even did. I even think that it might be the fact that MYTH&ROID did the OP for this series and the ED of the other is maybe proof of a shared theme that had their music work so well for both. In the end I think that Saga of Tanya The Evil actually did something right that Overlord failed at, or at least better, like getting the balance of Tanya between her different parts as kind of humorous but also Freaking terrifying. I still look back at the part early on where she was forced into a dress as great way for how it is hilarious that someone like her is made to wear it, scary because what that blanks stare kind of feels like, and the hilarious again. It is a feedback loop that I think only works to propel itself further. And no doubt that credit has to be given to Aoi Yuuki because the balance for her character would be really difficult to achieve, that she has to be a squeaky voiced little girl and then very intimidating, and there was also times like the episode 11 frustration scene. Somewhat curious about how it was in English.

Certainly think the show was good, hoping for more, and will say that Studio NuT has my interest, which I hope I don't get disappoint.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
Movie

Whew, the movie popped up on Crunchyroll, which is great because although I would really want to see this, there would probably be a challenge, with often pirating the only choice, and I did not want to do that. And I really enjoyed the movie, certainly had a good time watching it. Gave a quick look at the reviewer on ANN, and there seemed to be some comments about retreading themes or something, but I got exactly what I wanted out of this.

The antagonist on Tanya's level, the appropriately named Mary Sue, I don't see as a copy of her father at all. It is clear to see that her character is meant to be a joke or commentary on something, and that would be along the lines of the perfect protagonist characters, and how we might like to imagine the hero. A young girl who wants to get revenge for her dead father, wanting to just run into the war to fight the enemy from their "allies", and fights with emotions that seem to give her overpowering force. Yet, her father was no innocent man, being as much the soldier as the ones she is calling evil. Their allies are themselves not just some innocent party. And her emotions have her running in head on, surviving by her own 'plot armour', as the allies that follow her are killed, her blaming the enemy for hurting her friends when they would not have even been in the firing line without her action.

But really, there has to be some irony with Mary Sue fighting in a combined effort including USA like. But their allies are pretty much Communist Russia, who started the current conflict by declaring war against the German like people, to invade, and have actually been putting people in camps. Specifically mages been forced into camps, the exact thing Mary is, and it did not take the leader of their unit to even recognise the people were not their friends for this reason. Mary wanting to go on a rage fight, partially because their unit was hit, but that was because they were using a Russian military base of sorts. Going even further that the Russian leaders plan seemed to be specifically to just throw waves of their own men as sacrifices. The fighting for freedom, and a sense of the value to one's life, was not something they could say about their side. To say nothing about the paedophile.

A comment I saw in the review was that Mary can seem more human, because she is so emotional unlike Tanya who is more logical, and honestly I cannot fully believe in that. Sure Tanya has not always done the really moral thing, having pulled of tricks that could be considered war crimes under modern international law. But the interesting comments from Tanya is that she hates the war, she sees it as a waste of human life, and if the war just suddenly ended and peace came, she would be happy. Tanya is not fueled by feelings of revenge, or I would say demonize the enemy as just evil, and I kind of see humanity in that over blind rage. Although, she did seem to be not a fan of the "commies", explained that everything points that she is a capitalist that would probably see being forced into a communist environment as hell.

Tanya was also very funny, the movie following her usual habit of overdoing things and setting herself up. At the start of the movie her battalion did so well that she practically gloated about how well they were with minimal casualties and high moral, the wondering why they then get sent on a scout mission in enemy territory rather than time off. Then rather than join the front lines after fighting starts she decides to attack their capital (alternate Moscow?), probably for some recognition of doing something in taking attention without the challenge of places expecting them. She kind of does too well, or goes too far, pretty much destroying every political symbol, planting their flag and singing the national anthem, all of which they recorded onto a movie. Coming back in not-Russia in no way going to accept peace so soon afterwards, and crazy pedo deciding to target them with a crazy amount of forces. Finishing with Tanya thinking that she could explain away sending her troops off the frontlines for some research to create new tactics, her thinking that she now can have a cosy life. She ends up confused when her doing really well at that has all of her tactics accepted, and her placed in charge of a combined forces on the front lines. Tanya never seems to learn that doing really well at things has only made her become more involved in the war.

To wrap things up, it was highly enjoyable. The whole thing looked and sounded, great, and I never felt bored watching, with this series' iconic war as not fun, while being a bit as the charismatic character finds herself drawn into everything. Was really happy that they kept the TV series ED in it at the end, even for an ED it always makes me feel so hyped. The series is such a strange contradiction, how it imitates elements of Germany in the world wars, and tries to preserve some of its dignified image without the baggage that would otherwise make it problematic. Maybe also mention that since the series ended, Tanya the Evil found itself along with other subversive isekai anime in Isekai Quartet.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, I'll have to try and watch it on Crunchyroll. Probably be awhile before it is available for western BD, if at all.

I agree with your comments about Tanya. In the second episode of the TV series, Mary's father was cursing his nation's leaders for starting this mess to begin with.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 01: The Devil of the Rhine

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote

Episode 02: Prologue

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:49 pm Reply with quote

Episode 03: Deus Vult

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:52 pm Reply with quote

Episode 04: Campus Life

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:54 pm Reply with quote

Episode 05: My First Battalion

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:56 pm Reply with quote

Episode 06: Beginning of Madness

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Episode 07: The Battle of Fjord

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Episode 08: Trial by Fire

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6