• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spy × Family (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 24: The Role of a Mother and Wife; Shopping with Friends

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Episode 25: First Contact

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:22 pm Reply with quote
The Forgers are back in action. The first episode was a nice re-introduction and provided in some more laughs, explosions and miscommunication. No heavy plot this week, but I personally enjoy the slice of life episodes a lot too. I do worry about Anya building bombs though.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:47 pm Reply with quote
For me, watching this premiere was like watching a sitcom that has come together. None of this show is remotely believable, but one of the things that makes it work is how consistent the characterization is within its unlikely premise. Yor's naive, prim, awkward innocence has always been the counterpoint to her deadly alter persona, and it was completely in context that she would have been so mortified by a "butt" wound that she would have been unable to communicate. Lloyd's inability to read domestic situations, Ana's tendency to look for "Bondman" solutions, and Frizzy Hair's immaturity and obsession with his lack of a love life are also well established traits, but instead of running them into the ground, the episode riffs off of them without having to go into a lot of exposition or seeming contrived.

So, ummm....yeah. I liked it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:15 pm Reply with quote
S2 #1

The first season of this franchise dominated conversation and attention with its unique mix of humour, action and plot. It still has its unique selling points which stand out even in this absurdly crowded season, but will it be enough to overcome Second Season Syndrome and keep attention focused on it when other heavyweights which would easily dominate less crowded seasons have already begun to compete for attention?

On the basis of this first one-off episode, the formula which made the first season so successful still delivers a barrel of laughs. The only complaint I have about the episode is the use of Fugu poison and its Deus Ex Machina moment. Even though the episode has (rightly) put out the disclaimer to prevent liability in case of unwanted emulation, they could have chosen something else as a plot device for unintentional painkillers. Putting this aside (as well as the humorous censoring of bomb ingredients), it's the classic formula viewers of the first season have come to expect and love about this franchise. Anya doesn't get many chances to save the day (and her pretend family), so letting her hog the limelight in this one-off arc is a good way to start the second season off.

One other defining feature of this franchise was the inordinate amount of time and effort devoted into crafting the OP and ED animations. Like the first season before it, both studios involved take a considerable amount of trouble into making their OP and ED animations stand out, as well as choosing catchy songs to complement the visuals. Being a parody of Cold War spy dramas, both OP and ED do a good job at evoking the style of that era and remain memorable even if the episodes themselves might fade from memory.

Like the first season, major arcs do not dominate airtime completely. We're getting a double-header of two mini story-arcs next week, which I expect will be the trend for most of this airtime as that is how the source material appears to be structured. I'm not too fussed, since the comedic entertainment has never failed to deliver and when the major arcs do come round there's enough payoff to justify the wait. However, this second season isn't going to dominate the quarter the same way its pilot season did and the franchise cannot afford to rest on its laurels if it intends to hang on to its fanbase long enough for the upcoming movie.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:07 pm Reply with quote
S2, 1:

Eh, Yor being immune to poison is too convenient.

Appropriate to see how the show starts with an easygoing standalone episode. The main plot can start from the next episode.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:03 am Reply with quote

Episode 26 (S02E01): Follow Mama and Papa

Summary:

While terminating the extremist group Red Circus, Yor is shot and wounded in her rear side, but still manages to pick up groceries on the way home. When she arrives, Loid clearly detects a sense of pain and uncomfortably from her, thinking it's his fault for asking her to get the groceries in the first place. The next day, Loid decides to take her on a date to try and cheer her up, while asking Franky to babysit Anya. Instead, Anya comes up with a plan to have her and Franky follow them.

Comments:

Pretty hilarious re-introduction to the Spy x Family world. Silly high jinks, quirky outings, secret spy stuff; it's all fun, all the time! I'm actually surprised Yor got shot in the butt. As invincible as she seemed for the majority of the first season, I didn't think something so simple as a dying henchman with his last resort shot would actually hit her. Butt, it resulted in a very comedic effect for the remainder of the episode.

I love how this series is such a sitcom, and yet still so full of heart, while also hitting, pretty much, every band on the emotional spectrum. I guess there hasn't really been anything super-sad or tragic, yet, but that flashback of Bond's days in the lab was pretty darn close.

The whole thing with Anya setting traps in the restaurant storage closet had Home Alone (1992) written all over it. And the way she walked up to the guy with the toy gun was so adorable. I was watching the episode during my lunch break at work (using my Mac Mini M2 and Bluetooth headphones), and really tried not to laugh too loud. Although, it's a pretty spacious area that's usually petty noisy, anyway. But I didn't wanna' be that awkward guy laughing at something when nobody else was, and then have to explain what I was watching.

Great stuff. I could watch sprinkles of these kinds of episodes forever. Too bad Season 02 is only slated for 12 episodes leading into the movie, though.

Screen Caps:

Pending
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:53 pm Reply with quote
So, how you feel about episode 2 comes down to if you would like to see some more focus on side characters in a slice of life episode. I for one liked to see some of the daily dangers that Bond has to contend with. Also some solid doggo action and Bond was saved from a toxic meal. As for the second half, it showed a nice friendship and a bit of yuru camp vibes with an adventure in the great outdoors. Kudos to some lovely visuals and sounds for that part btw.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad Bond managed to subdue that guy before his mask fell off. Otherwise, Bond might have been recognized. Shocked

As to the second episode, I've always thought that Damian's toadies were basically Crab and Goyle types. I never really thought of them as actual friends who were in it for more than a political advantage. So that was cool.

Man, I've missed this show.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:37 pm Reply with quote
S2 #2

Side stories aren't as strong as the main story arcs when animated, but the producers have mastered the art of delivering entertainment from the most unexpected of quarters. Between the two, I preferred Bond's arc more because I don't like Damian and his hangers-on, even though their arc is more wholesome than it initially suggests.

The series relies a lot on mutual misunderstanding and exaggeration for comedy, and the Bond mini-episode is a case in point. Bond is clever in some areas, but incredibly dense in others so not much different from his human masters. Still, having lived with the Forger family for long enough he has certainly developed his survival instincts well and is fully aware of the consequences of Yor's cooking. It took him a while to find Loid, but Loid's inflexible thinking as an occupational hazard turns out to be Bond's advantage as for the first time it's just the two of them working together to accomplish Loid's goals (and give Bond a good dinner to stay alive and as a reward).

Like others, I'd never rated Damian's hangers-on as nothing more than sycophants mirroring their family relationships. This episode disproves that, and the school masters to their credit recognise this as well as Damian's fixation on studying to organise something different on a weekend which helps the three stooges have fun and in a way which doesn't make Damian feel guilty he isn't studying 24/7. The grounds master seems like a decent character, so it would be nice to see him return in future episodes. Unfortunately for Loid, if they do cross paths it will be as adversaries as Loid will have to avoid or subdue the groundsmaster if he has to infiltrate the school again for whatever reason. The episode, wholesome as it is, doesn't change my opinion too much of the three stooges. It does have the side benefit of saving the producers budget as the mini-episode itself is one of the easier ones to do without using inordinate time on action scenes or complicated camera shots.

Can the producers keep up this week's episode next week? It's going to be tough as it's yet another montage of mini-stories, and I count four in total in just one episode. Yor's siscon brother is making his debut for this new season, so looking forward to the comedic hijinks each time he, Yor and Loid are in the same room together.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
Kind of think I'm just going to start outright skipping Yuri-centric segments. The character just drags down every story he's in for me.

In general so far this season's just kind of ehhhhhh to me? The premiere was good but didn't really feel like an opener and now having two episodes in a row where the main three barely did anything it just feels like it can't get going. I liked last week's and the Bondman short was fun this week, but on the whole it just kind of feels like the show has no real momentum right now.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:29 pm Reply with quote
All those little shorts and omakes were what made the episode for me, hilarious Bondman there is a price to pay for having a harem.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Lizuka wrote:
Kind of think I'm just going to start outright skipping Yuri-centric segments. The character just drags down every story he's in for me.

Interesting, so what is your opinion on Fiona than? She is essentially the female version of Yuri except without the creepy insist like behavior.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:02 pm Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
Lizuka wrote:

Interesting, so what is your opinion on Fiona than? She is essentially the female version of Yuri except without the creepy insist like behavior.

Honestly I find her a lot more tolerable just because at least there's more variety to the jokes with her. It's the same general type of humor but there's way more range in how it's delivered, and additionally at least to this point the show hasn't had a period where it's tried to present the usual behavior from her in a way where I'm supposed to take it seriously.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:52 pm Reply with quote
That sure was a fun Bondman episode, I also liked the shorts. As for the main part of the episode....meh. Like Lizuka I find Yuri to be the most boring character of the series thus far. He is basically one big joke that is repeated constantly. Sure, there are other characters that are basically walking jokes, but at least they have range and are used in some unpredictable ways. Yuri is the same joke on auto repeat without anything interesting thrown in.

I hope that we get a bigger multi episode story again soon. I like the shorter sections (besides Yuri) a lot, yet I like the mix of them between larger stories to work best.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11