• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon to be Japan's First "Anime Ambassador"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
And I thought Europeans are less self-centered than Americans. Rolling Eyes Everyone, I mean, EVERYONE under 50 (probably 60) in East Asia knows Doraemon. He's equivalent to Micky Mouse and Batman to Americans.

Does not knowing something mean that you're self-centered?
But thanks for the information. Didn't know that it was that popular outside Japan.
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Correction guys, it's Nobita's grandchild who sends Doraemon to present day Japan. It was a plot to raise his grandfather's IQ for a better future.
windwalker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
MrVince wrote:
And most Japanese still think Kentucky Fried Chicken is a Japanese company! So let's call it even on the self-centered remarks. Very Happy

Uh, don't believe everything you read in Wikipedia.

Well, I do know that a large number of 2channelers who think most, if not all, anime figures are made in Japan from start to finish. They are devastated when they learned the fact that most figures are only designed in Japan and manufactured, polished, and packaged in China, a country they often look down upon.

Generally speaking, the more self-sufficient a country is (or a country with citizens who believe that they are self-sufficient, such as USA and Japan), the more self-centered its citizens are likely to be.

Hey! dormcat.
You Always lying about Japan in US. And this post contains too.
I am looking for 2 lie.

1.large number of 2channelers who think most, if not all, anime figures are made in Japan from start to finish.
-> Almost all Japanese otakus(Especially the 2channerers) known that figures are manufactured in China.Because it printed "made in China" in those package.And they have the figures.
Silly lye.

2.They are devastated when they learned the fact that most figures are only designed in Japan and manufactured, polished, and packaged in China, a country they often look down upon.

Hehe, Japanese are never devastated about that,because everyone know that,and "邪神像 = Jya-shin-zou = evil god statures = poor qwolity figures" are made in China too.
Famous Jyashinzou

Jyashin Mokkosu(Fallen KOS-MOS)

Jyashin Saber (Fallen Saber)
[img]http://img107.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1158412750684ef0.jpg[/img]
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Well, I don't see were Doraemon promoted Japanese culture. Isn't it a phenomenon that's just limited to Japan?

Doraemon is Well known in Spain, Italy and France (don't know about Germany) and the movies are released there in the theaters in a yearly basis. Also in Latin America and South America is really famous. So I think its a good choice if you ask me.

Rolando
lisamarie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I know this subject has been on this site before but I just thought it was entertaining on how a general news source explained anime and manga. This article also gives details on the appointment ceremony.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080319/ap_on_fe_st/odd_japan_cartoon_ambassador
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Just read that. Very cute Anime smile.

I was reading that the new movie is going to be released in America in 2008 (with Tom Kenny playing Doraemon), but I haven't found a good source for it (other than Wikipedia Rolling Eyes). Let's hope for the 5% chance that this can be true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2