• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Delicious in Dungeon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-l33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
So having not read the manga, and having literally just binged through episodes 1-10, the “mad mage” that everyone is talking about, the lord of the dungeon…we’ve already met him, right? The one person who recognized Laius during his painting excursions? Maybe I’m off on that but seems like the person they’re talking about.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The animation was so good this week…and I always appreciate a good, hand-drawn dragon nowadays.

Like the critic, I enjoyed the detail of the tongue-clicking, and honestly, even the sound effect was really satisfying.

I don’t really agree with the Netflix TV-MA rating, but cutting through the dragon was surprisingly graphic.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:10 pm Reply with quote
What a great episode! I've been very much on board the show since the mimic episode -- it's what convinced me that Trigger is the perfect fit for this adaptation, but this one proved to me once again that it can pull off a mix of tension and comedy with amazing results.

I agree that the dragon-slaying here is well-grounded compared to a lot of anime fantasy I've seen so far. I very much loved the curb stomp approach in last year's Frieren episode 6, but a spectacle though it may be, it was really only there to show how strong Stark is (and boy did they pull that one off as well).

Something that was not really clear for me here was Laios' last-ditch attempt to kill the dragon. Was his goal to get inside the dragon's mouth and stab the weak spot from inside? Or did he really plan for his leg to get chomped on? If the latter, that's just so metal and I love it!
Nev999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:25 pm Reply with quote
To answer the above, he did just want to get his leg chomped on, because he realized the only way he coudl get in position to stab the weak spot and not fall before he could was if the dragon's teeth was holding onto his leg. And that also potentially put the dragon off guard to make it easier too, it was too busy going 'yum food" to notice the fatal threat. (Risky too, because what if the dragon completely bit through his leg and he fell? He was just counting on the dragon wanting to keep the tasty treat in it's mouth, and him being fast enough to stab before he got swallowed).

The confusion about the stakes is in part due to the anime cutting stuff out unfortunately. In the manga, Namari explains the resurrection doesn't always work and the more the body is destroyed,the more chance of it not working. So Falin being.a skeleton makes her prognosis not good. And also if youu think about it- Marcille couldn't just grow Laios a new leg. She had to find it and reattach it. There was a risk there. So presumably, she also wouldn't be able to regrow Falin's flesh and organs and all that. At the very least, iwould be incredibly difficult.

I do think the story wants to be a little ambiguous about whether this is a game over or if it's something they could overcome though.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
So the actual emotional impact of seeing Falin's skull is somewhat muddled in my mind, as I'm not sure how big of a setback this is.

Based on animated content alone, it's a pretty darn big problem. All of the people we've seen before being resurrected (or being set aside to be picked up for resurrection) had bodies that were intact. We haven't seen any indication that someone this far gone can be brought back.

Another poster also pointed out that Laios's leg was found and reattached, not regrown, so either spells like Regenerate don't exist in this setting or Marceille doesn't know/isn't able to cast them.

So yeah, just bones and a bit of hair is a big problem. Next episode should show what the party decides to do about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'm confused by how people are confused. We've seen Falin boost spiritual energy by taking the dirt from the dungeon and we saw the results of a lackluster spirit outside the dungeon when Falin had to contend with a non dungeon spirit.

"But the science!"
But it's magic.

And narratively speaking, saying it's a million to one chance that anything will work just means it's going to work. It's always best to leave that kind of speech out, it's kind of insulting to the audience.

Again, it's magic.

I'm more interested in the plot, oh a plot in the series about eating non humanoid monsters, to take this resurrection magic outside the dungeon and what looks like an early attempt at such a scheme was the first thing to open Falin's eyes. Nothing says "pay attention to this bit" like OOC moments. I watched the last few episodes in a chunk so I'll go back and see what people thought about when they first encountered the story...

Never mind, the story was ignored in favor of the eating aspect. Well. I guess that explains the confusion.
Viren21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:14 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ Coming from the manga that I've read for about a week over at mangadex, next episode for me is the ending of the first arc. Since all the time its just a simple adventure of saving Falin but the next one will literally (it caught me off-guard) say to you its not simple as it seems. That will be the most interesting part since that made me continue to read it after closely giving up]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:17 am Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
The confusion about the stakes is in part due to the anime cutting stuff out unfortunately. In the manga, Namari explains the resurrection doesn't always work and the more the body is destroyed,the more chance of it not working. So Falin being.a skeleton makes her prognosis not good. And also if youu think about it- Marcille couldn't just grow Laios a new leg. She had to find it and reattach it. There was a risk there. So presumably, she also wouldn't be able to regrow Falin's flesh and organs and all that. At the very least, iwould be incredibly difficult.

Not super often I'm appreciative of manga-reader comments, but this was really helpful context. I vaguely remember the show talking a bit about the mechanics of resurrection before, but definitely don't remember it well enough, or if it went into enough detail, to pull this out of it. Thanks!
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:38 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm confused by how people are confused. We've seen Falin boost spiritual energy by taking the dirt from the dungeon and we saw the results of a lackluster spirit outside the dungeon when Falin had to contend with a non dungeon spirit.

"But the science!"
But it's magic.

And narratively speaking, saying it's a million to one chance that anything will work just means it's going to work. It's always best to leave that kind of speech out, it's kind of insulting to the audience.

Again, it's magic.

I'm more interested in the plot, oh a plot in the series about eating non humanoid monsters, to take this resurrection magic outside the dungeon and what looks like an early attempt at such a scheme was the first thing to open Falin's eyes. Nothing says "pay attention to this bit" like OOC moments. I watched the last few episodes in a chunk so I'll go back and see what people thought about when they first encountered the story...

Never mind, the story was ignored in favor of the eating aspect. Well. I guess that explains the confusion.

Your words are kind of so all over the place I deadass cannot parse what point you're even trying to make
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:

I was hopping episode 12 would start by flashing back to that conversion between Namari the twins over dinner before getting back to the party staring at Falin's skull, but no such luck. I am now unfortunately expecting that the anime is going to entirely skip over Namari's spoiler[leg fetish and Kiki using that to flirt with her] during the rest of the story.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote
Is this really confirmed to be the ending of cour 1, and not episode 13?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:37 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Is this really confirmed to be the ending of cour 1, and not episode 13?

Netflix says episode 13 is due on the 28th. Whether you consider that part of this cour or not is just semantics, but it will begin the next story arc, so I would consider it the beginning of the second half.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the review doesn't at all mention Marcille's casual reveal she's been studying the dark arts and that she uses them to bring back Falin? That's a pretty significant part of the episode that might have ramifications.

OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels wrote:

I was hopping episode 12 would start by flashing back to that conversion between Namari the twins over dinner before getting back to the party staring at Falin's skull, but no such luck. I am now unfortunately expecting that the anime is going to entirely skip over Namari's spoiler[leg fetish and Kiki using that to flirt with her] during the rest of the story.

And yeah, it's really too bad they never included that bit. Not only did it set up the resurrection well, it gave some characterization to Kiki, Kaka, and Namari.

I wouldn't expect the spoiler[Kiki flirting with Namari stuff] to show up in the anime regardless though, that's all extra content in the adventure bible and so on so it's unlikely to be in the anime.

But anyway, here we are. The reason Marcille x Falin is the fandom's powerhouse ship. Sometimes you've just got to defy the laws of nature and become a dark sorcerer for the girl you love.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:08 pm Reply with quote
So, not even this series is safe of panty shoots.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
So, not even this series is safe of panty shoots.

This made me laugh so hard! I was so hoping Grant would use it as his screenshot, and so delighted when he did! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5