• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Sign of Affection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:56 am Reply with quote
Best anime of the season!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Emma decides she could do far worse than the guy who has unfailingly been at her side through ups and downs for years. And she's right! Maybe she doesn't feel the same powerful crush, but if you're after a long and happy relationship the person who has seen you at your lowest and stayed devoted is what you really need.

Rin and Kyouya going steady.

Oushi is still a jerk, but I guess I can respect his attempts to learn to be less so. Yuki's mental image of what would happen if she turned up at his door with Itsuomi in tow is pretty much spot on. I like that she assumes their friendship is primarily Itsuomi getting in Oushi's face and refusing to leave. We of course have seen that this is pretty accurate.

And what is left to be said about our main couple? They're almost insufferably cute together. Negotiating relationship troubles such as "how to get a couple selfie when your heights are so different" and "how much PDA is too much PDA?". And of course, "how to avoid a heart overload when your BF reveals the secret behind all his sudden trips overseers is 'I want to help all the children of the world learn the joys of communication and mutual understanding'".

It's been a sweet run. The top spots for the season are locked out by Frieren and Apothecary for me, but this has been a reliably enjoyable watch.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:49 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the manga, I couldn't be more happy with this anime. They took what was already a sincerely sweet, beautiful, and well-developed Shojo romance and made it into such a gorgeous and tender production. They knocked it out of the park.

I love how the leads from Like a Butterfly (the authors' other work) made a cameo appearance. I was wondering if the leads from Shortcake Cake appeared too, but that might not have made sense geographically? Either way, it'd be kind of funny if that was teasing the studio adapting that series.

Just closing out on a full-circle moment with our main couple, a wholesome first date, and them continuing to open their hearts to each other as they fall deeper in love...what more could you ask for?

I also love how pretty much all the side-ships are sailing in their own right, especially Rin and Kyouya.

For what would on the surface appear to be an unconventional romance with a deaf protagonist, they really handled it with grace while still delivering a great story.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I really appreciated throughout the series how much Yuki is a character who happens to be deaf. She's not defined by her disability but the series is unflinching about the ways in which it does make her life more difficult. It felt very honest in its portrayal, I don't know what kind of prep work the mangaka did to portray it like this but it felt very genuine and considerate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4