• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What Happens When Magical Girls Grow Up?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I, quite frankly, have always considered Saint Seiya a magical girl anime.

Just that it uses hot boys instead of cute girls, it doesn't help the fact that the age of all of the main cast its 13 years old.

Fantastic hair, unnecessary overdramatic, tears, special attacks, colorful outfits, questionable straight sexuality, daddy issues.

It has it all.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
So, u watched the last entry in the entire series so yes is the answer but also no at the same time. TAB is the sequel, but focuses on 2 new heroines from what i recall. That said, the OG cast from the prev series does have roles in the sequel and shows up so u lose out on some context right there. The OG series is a 12 ep TV series called Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel: Kyunkyun☆Tokimeki Paradise!! or in English its just called Twin Angel: Twinkle Paradise. This same series had 2 dif OVA, each OVA having 2 eps. The 2nd OVA set iirc was paired with the TV series but iirc the 1st OVA set was the precursor to even the TV series. By that I mean it came b4 the TV series so iirc, isn't canon to the TV series but still worth a watch imo. Both shows have parodies, and this is mroe so true for the prequel u didn't watch which even goes as far as to have its own knock off of Tuxedo Mask xD oh and bonus trivia time. Don't let this fool u becus the series is good despite this but, the Twin Angel series from what i understand are based off of a Pachinko slot machine. I dunno how much if any they share story wise with the machines but this is why u saw some slot like stuff in the TA Break show u watched.

Oh yeah the pachinko! The OP heavily featiring it is what gave me feeling like I was missing important context. It was pretty clear thatI was missing a previous story with different heroines (rescuing them was a main point in the story) but I didn't know how much more I was missing.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:01 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Still made a better impression than Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku despite (or maybe even due to) its adorable designs. I don't have much of an edgy bone so the routine of "present a character's story through flashbacks, then proceed to horribly murder her" made me feel disgust. I fell for Top Speed and Hardgore Alice much enough that I can still remember them, but I have to wonder what all of that was in service of other than an easy gut punch. I'll admit the way they offed the villain that instigated the death battle royale was funny though. I hear the next novels are leagues better, but that anime just left me wanting to never check more.

Freaking Swim Swim!

Quote:
But if you want irredeemable "dark" magical girl series, look no further than Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka. It has parody, edginess and fanservice and it's bad at all three of them! I also have to wonder if the original creator ever watched a mahou shoujo series in full ever.

Asuka was so disappointing, at least in the anime (haven't read the source) - had such an interesting concept (what happens after magical girls defeat the Big Bad? What about the leftover trauma?), failed it miserably. Made worse by being *almost* close enough to get there... but not quite.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:43 pm Reply with quote
When I think of Madoka with respect to other anime, I don't think of it as "dark magical girl show," I think of it as a horror/tragedy anime show that explicitly uses magical girl genre elements. It reminds me of dark shows from late 90s and early 00s like Evangelion, Boogiepop Phantom, Texhnolyze, and Serial Experiments Lain instead of any other magical girl show IMO.

One pretty obvious thing that makes Madoka distinct from all the shows that it influenced (Daybreak Illusion, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Granbelm, Magical Girl Raising Project, Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka, etc), is that in Madoka, spoiler[in the shows' main timeline, the main character, Madoka herself, never fights as a magical girl]. So, Madoka is a, supposedly, magical girl show with a main character that is implicitly understood to be a magical girl who spoiler[never actually does "magical girl stuff" in the main timeline of the show.] Now that's a real deconstruction.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I, quite frankly, have always considered Saint Seiya a magical girl anime.

Just that it uses hot boys instead of cute girls, it doesn't help the fact that the age of all of the main cast its 13 years old.

Fantastic hair, unnecessary overdramatic, tears, special attacks, colorful outfits, questionable straight sexuality, daddy issues.

It has it all.

The traditional magical girl shows like Sailor Moon are just super sentai shows, but, with girls. That is, it is not that Saint Seiya is a magical girl anime but that magical girl animes are Saint Seiya with girls instead of boys as the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4