• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: SPY×FAMILY Code: White Anime Film Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
They were just adapting manga arcs as movies, which is perfectly fine, but that's apples and oranges and hardly anything special.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I think there are tons of fun anime films that don’t change the status quo, but it’s hard to deny that my favorites tend to be the ones that either adapt manga arcs (Demon Slayer, JJK 0), direct sequels (Naruto the Last, DBS Broly), or or otherwise actually important/referenced in the main show (the Digimon Diaboromon movies).
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
"Lack of any impact on the over all SPY×FAMILY story, forgettable villain"

Well duh, its a film original story for a Shounen Manga series. Why would you think it would have any effect on the main plot?
mooseV01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Also, Spy X Family as a whole barely ever moves the plot forward. Season 2 didn’t advance Operation Strix in the slightest. Yor had some development during her arc, but that’s it.

So this isn’t even anything new for SpyXFamily. Expecting some big plot-advancing movie is kinda misguided for a series that doesn’t even do that often with the canon material. Laughing
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:22 pm Reply with quote
mooseV01 wrote:
Also, Spy X Family as a whole barely ever moves the plot forward. Season 2 didn’t advance Operation Strix in the slightest. Yor had some development during her arc, but that’s it.

So this isn’t even anything new for SpyXFamily. Expecting some big plot-advancing movie is kinda misguided for a series that doesn’t even do that often with the canon material. Laughing

Going by the property's success, little or no progress will continue to be the norm until the creator wants to end it, either purely on a voluntary basis or due to declining sales.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
From what I've read is another SJ movie: cool filler action, it won't change the whole story or characters and it was never meant to. That's why I liked much more the Demon Slayer or JJ0 movies; what they told DID matter for the whole work.

Yeah, this is just one of those filler/non-canon movies that have been made for anime since the 70s for shows such as Mazinger where the stories did not have an impact on the series. I think we're all very familiar with these type of movies, especially for anime such as Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach and Inuyasha. There're some movies that have some sort of impact or connection to the main story, I remember as a kid that the Pokémon anime referenced the first and second movies in its story, so they were canon. But ever since the success of Demon Slayer: Mugen Train and Jujutsu Kaisen 0 it seems some animation studios have discovered that there's a great potential in adapting a manga arc in movie form, like the recent Chainsaw Man movie announcement
mooseV01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
kgw wrote:
From what I've read is another SJ movie: cool filler action, it won't change the whole story or characters and it was never meant to. That's why I liked much more the Demon Slayer or JJ0 movies; what they told DID matter for the whole work.

Yeah, this is just one of those filler/non-canon movies that have been made for anime since the 70s for shows such as Mazinger where the stories did not have an impact on the series. I think we're all very familiar with these type of movies, especially for anime such as Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach and Inuyasha. There're some movies that have some sort of impact or connection to the main story, I remember as a kid that the Pokémon anime referenced the first and second movies in its story, so they were canon. But ever since the success of Demon Slayer: Mugen Train and Jujutsu Kaisen 0 it seems some animation studios have discovered that there's a great potential in adapting a manga arc in movie form, like the recent Chainsaw Man movie announcement

Even if they had adapted an arc from the Spy X Family manga, it still wouldn’t move the plot forward.

Lmfao it’s not that type of series. Period.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:27 am Reply with quote
I don't know why some people are upset that we point at the cons of that kind of movies. They like it? Cool.
But I'd rather have a 2nd cour of Spy x Family S2 than an empty movie.
mooseV01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:27 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I don't know why some people are upset that we point at the cons of that kind of movies. They like it? Cool.
But I'd rather have a 2nd cour of Spy x Family S2 than an empty movie.

Not like this season advanced the plot in any meaningful way. It’s exactly the same as this movie. Laughing

Which is what people are trying to explain - SxF isn’t about advancing the plot. At all. lol it rarely happens.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:45 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I really don't get why anyone would expect this movie to affect the main series (the main series rarely does anything that impacts the status quo as the manga has gone on), movies that do affect the main story have always been the exception and not the rule.

I mean, there's always a chance that SxF is someone out there's first anime and they might genuinely expect it to be an important canon thing. Like you said, "important" movies are the exception, but not everyone knows that. I remember way back when, I used to think that one of the many Inuyasha movies I watched would be important to the plot until I had to learn that ahhhh no they never will.

kgw wrote:

Well, not soooo much for the Demon Slayer movie, since the first thing season 2 did was do it again episodically...

edit: oof, I did not see that this was a repost of an old article, only that it was on the front page, sorry to necropost this thread
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:55 am Reply with quote
Spy x Family is a sitcom
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Like many anime films for popular ongoing series, SPY×FAMILY Code: White is an original story not seen in the manga. The downside is that the film, by its very nature, cannot impact the overall SPY×FAMILY story. No matter what happens in the film itself, the status quo must be preserved by the time the closing credits roll.

I normally agree with this sentiment but it's a very strange criticism for SxF considering even the canon events barely affect the "plot" considering it's a comedy series. Like of course Operation Strix isn't going to be completed in a movie.
RacingManiac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I watched this yesterday, subbed, in theater. Overall I guess is fun and in grand tradition of Anime OVA its pretty standalone from the main story. But the silliness is kinda over the top sometimes, probably done intentionally as a gag within the gag of the ridiculousness of the setup. I rolled my eyes a lot especially in the 2nd half. It also almost feels like there is a check list that the movie was ticking boxes as it goes. Every recurring characters showed up in the movie regardless if it actually needed to happen, and all the part of the setup of the main show gets touched within the plot of the film. I guess if the goal is to attract more fans to the series then it serves as a primer as "hey you can expect all of this in the main series!"

I like the characters and all that with this manga/anime but honestly the movie was maybe a 6/10 overall to me....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2