• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2nd Editions...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMY23-23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that a handful of mangas were, and still are being released as 2nd editions. A few names are Martian Successor Nadesico, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Neon Genesis Evangelion. The page counts are usually less on these 2nd editions also.
Example: Nadesico Graphic Novel 2 -
1st printing= 208 Pages
2nd printing= 167 pages

My question is, what is with the cutdown on the pages? Did they remove content? And if the first two questions are yes, are the 2nd editions still worth buying?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagami no Kage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:14 am Reply with quote
I don't know, but I wish they'd kept Ceres in first edition. I have the first 4 in first edition, and then I have 5 in second (the only version, I believe). It just looks odd...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote
Kagami no Kage wrote:
I don't know, but I wish they'd kept Ceres in first edition. I have the first 4 in first edition, and then I have 5 in second (the only version, I believe). It just looks odd...

The same with me and Utena, but since I'm saving 6 bucks, I'm learning to live with it.
EMY23-23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:25 am Reply with quote
Good point. I forgot to add the fact that the 2nd editions are also cheaper than the 1st editions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:45 pm Reply with quote
"Martian Successor Nadesico" is released by Central Park Media, not Viz, so you can't compare them with Viz titles. And while "Nausicaa" is getting the second edition treatment, the second editions haven't been released yet. And I think you have the number of pages for each edition reversed. Example:

Nadesico First Edition - 176 pages
Nadesico Second Edition - 208 pages
EMY23-23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about the second issue of Martian Successor Nadesico.
1st Edition
2nd Edition

But then why would the first issue be lengthened and the second be shortened?
rage-demon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:31 pm Reply with quote
One posibility is that they took a chapter or two from the second volume and put it in the first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1