• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
It ammuses me that people actually get ruffled that some random English VA doesn't "sound" like the random Japanese guy who voices the character. Wouldn't this be completely obvious? They're two different people after all who speak two completely different languages.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
new trailer for Geass:
http://revver.com/video/838819/code-geass-trailer-2/

as I suspected Lelouch sounds like Icigo from bleach (might take some getting used to) C. C. sounds pretty good but Suzaku and Cornellia sound really good.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
It ammuses me that people actually get ruffled that some random English VA doesn't "sound" like the random Japanese guy who voices the character. Wouldn't this be completely obvious? They're two different people after all who speak two completely different languages.

Exactly. The purpose of a good dub isn't to precisely voice-match the original Japanese actors. It's to cast an actor for a certain character who's capable of capturing the spirit and essence of said character. The very nature of the differences between the two languages entails that American actors sound different than Japanese actors, but that doesn't mean at all that they aren't capable of two differing yet correct takes on the same character.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

I think it's because people get so use to the Japanese voices that pretty much anything different sounds weird. The acting quality in a dub can be just as good as the Japanese. Hell, it could even be better, but when you're so use to certain voices for the characters it can be incredibly awkward to hear different ones. That's why Bleach is a bit hard for me to watch in English. Acting wise I don't think it's much different from the Japanese version, but I'm just not use to the voices, so it irritates me.

To me it seems that it's less about the acting and more about the sound of the voices when it comes down to people's initial judgment of a dub. Judgment on the actual acting comes a little while later.

Just a thought really. Probably not 100% true with everybody.

Last edited by Veoryn87 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I have to say after hearing the trailer I am pretty pumped about this. The only voice that'll take some getting use to would have to be Lulu's for me. C.C.'s voice sounded pretty good, it fit her pretty well. I hope it does well.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Looks like IGN has some clips on their site.

http://anime.ign.com/articles/868/868968p1.html

While I recognize it as Johnny Yong Bosch, it's definitely not a voice I've heard him use before. Not quite badass sounding like Ichigo or Nero, but also not higher pitched and young sounding like Claus or Renton. I can get use to it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No Norio Wakamoto as the Emperor of Britannia. Sorry, but this dub automatically fails, despite any kind of conceivable counter argument anyone here, even Zac, could possibly make, just for that reason stated.

Same goes for 2x2 Shinobuden.
You know, I've never understood this mentality of "A is good, B is worse than A, therefore B sucks." If A and B were numbers, that's be like saying A > 0 ; B < A, therefore B < 0. Which is obviously not true for all values of A and B. Just about every review I've ever read of Ninja Nonsense says that Sean Schemmel's performance as Orochimaru was just as good as Wakamoto's. And my own viewing of the series agrees with that -- have you seen Ninja Nonsense in English to confirm that the dub does in fact fail? If you want to criticize something, fine, but don't do so until you've actually seen it yourself.

And just so we're all on the same page... since this thread is about the [as] broadcast of Code Geass, don't bother posting here unless you're discussing the broadcast.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

I think it's because people get so use to the Japanese voices that pretty much anything different sounds weird. The acting quality in a dub can be just as good as the Japanese. Hell, it could even be better, but when you're so use to certain voices for the characters it can be incredibly awkward to hear different ones. That's why Bleach is a bit hard for me to watch in English. Acting wise I don't think it's much different from the Japanese version, but I'm just not use to the voices, so it irritates me.

To me it seems that it's less about the acting and more about the sound of the voices when it comes down to people's initial judgment of a dub. Judgment on the actual acting comes a little while later.

Just a thought really. Probably not 100% true with everybody.

For me usually a voice is a voice unless I really find the voice grating on my ears but that works for both English and Japanese voices, I judge on acting abillity. I don't particulalarly care as long as the person can act. Consequently though I really hate Luluouch's Japanese voice though so I absolutely welcome Johny playing him.

Now, on the other hand, take Yu Yu Hakusho for example though. I got used to the superior Funimation cast voicing the series but then USManga Corps goes and liscenses the movies and hires a cast that is just totally sub par. Now THAT is the kind of thing that bugs me, not because they're different actors that sound nothing like the Funi cast but because the new cast can't act worth crap. If I vote down a dub and watch the subtitled track instead it's because of the acting quality.
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
AS announced Geass's premier in a bump that I am told went by really quickly. It wasn't much, but at least it's advertisment for an otherwise crappy ratings night devoid of a powerful lead in.

I like Cripsin Freeman. Who did Ichigo's voice in Bleach?
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Dramatis Personae wrote:
Who did Ichigo's voice in Bleach?

JYB
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Now, on the other hand, take Yu Yu Hakusho for example though. I got used to the superior Funimation cast voicing the series but then USManga Corps goes and liscenses the movies and hires a cast that is just totally sub par. Now THAT is the kind of thing that bugs me, not because they're different actors that sound nothing like the Funi cast but because the new cast can't act worth crap. If I vote down a dub and watch the subtitled track instead it's because of the acting quality.

Actually, Funi's cast was the new one. The movie was dubbed and released before Funi ever started the TV series.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this thread is 3 pages long and the broadcast hasn't even started yet Surprised

I'll be watching this one as well. I haven't seen any of it yet, and it looks like it has a good cast. Also, since I have direct tv, it'll be showing at 10:30 for me which means that I won't be losing too much sleep before work. Here's to hoping that AS doesn't switch up the schedule on me so that I can't watch it due to work like they did with their first run of Eureka 7...
Axe-336

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Dramatis Personae wrote:

JYB

Thanks, thats helpful to people who already know who it is Rolling Eyes

Johnny Yong Bosch, outside of Ichigo most famous for doing the voice of Vash the Stampede and playing Adam the Black Ranger on recent iterations of Power Rangers.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:
Zoe wrote:
Dramatis Personae wrote:

JYB

Thanks, thats helpful to people who already know who it is Rolling Eyes

Johnny Yong Bosch, outside of Ichigo most famous for doing the voice of Vash the Stampede and playing Adam the Black Ranger on recent iterations of Power Rangers.

Devil May Cry players will also recognize him as Nero from Devil May Cry 4.
emory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 60