• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Did Archie Comics influence harem manga?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
This is a topic I've meant to actually have posted for a few months. We know now that manga has influenced Archie Comics to the point the company has done stories with the so called "manga style". However, this about the reverse. I read on some website about Urusei Yatsura that (according to the writer) during the 70s, there was essentially like illegal distribution of Archie Comics in Japan and it could've influenced Urusei Yatsura in the context of harem (Urusei Yatsure is essentially the first modern harem). I see this possibility. For people who are Archie fans on this forum like me (I have well over 500 comics from collecting off and on for over 7 years that have also read some of Urusei Yatsura, they may or may have not noticed Urusei Yatsura's rich playboy Mendou looks like Archie Comics' own wealthy player Reggie Mantle. Does anyone else think that this could be true?
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd say there's a slim possibility, but I don't know how much you could say Archie directly influenced the genre. After all, it's not like Archie and Ataru have anything in common whatsoever, other than the first letter of their first names. Plus, harem stories usually revolve around one guy and a whole gaggle of girls, where pretty much all of the other male characters are pretty well inconsequential (Love Hina or Tenchi-Muyo!, for example). Archie, on the other hand, is a pretty typical love triangle with several male side characters who are just as much a part of the central stories as Archie is.

it's interesting food for thought, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
monkeyinalamborghini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Archie's a pimp yeah.
Cardcaptor Usagi Doremi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I doubt Urusei and Archie are actually connected, but it's always possible. I used to love Archie comics, though I haven't read any in 3+ years...and I've never seen Urusei, so I'm not so informed here.

It's more interesting to me that Archie has been influenced by manga...it's hard to imagine Archie characters in an anime style, particularly Archie's weird check-hair. *goes to do a Google search*
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Usagi Doremi wrote:

It's more interesting to me that Archie has been influenced by manga...it's hard to imagine Archie characters in an anime style, particularly Archie's weird check-hair. *goes to do a Google search*
Now, that is an interesting idea...Archie manga-ized. It does kinda boggle the mind, doesn't it?
Question: has it been done outside of fanart??[/u]
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:
Now, that is an interesting idea...Archie manga-ized. It does kinda boggle the mind, doesn't it?
Question: has it been done outside of fanart??[/u]

Not with Archie and the gang, but it has with the book's sister publication Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Check out Tania Del Rio's manga-styled take on the character here: http://www.archiecomics.com/sabrina_manga/bio.html
http://witching-hour.deviantart.com/

I'm not particularly a fan of Del Rio's art, but I do like the idea of manga-nizing Archie characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Considering Urusei Yatusura dates back to 1968 and Archie is from the 80's, I doubt there is a link between them.

Then again though, Archie could be from the 40's or 50's.
bluestripe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I think human nature influenced harem manga.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Considering Urusei Yatusura dates back to 1968 and Archie is from the 80's, I doubt there is a link between them.

Yeah, Archie started back in the '40s, at least according to Wikipedia.
jgreen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Ha! Wow, that was the single most misinformed statement I've read in quite some time. Thanks, internet!

Anyway, Urusei Yatsura dates from 1978, not 1968. And not only was Archie around from well before the 1980s (1941 to be exact), but it's peak of popularity, when there was an Archie cartoon show and the song "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies, was in the 1960s.

"Archie's from the '80s".....sheesh!
christine.c.smith.50

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Completely feasible. At the time, Archie was immensely popular, not only domestically but also overseas. For the longest time, for instance, Archie was the #1 comic in India. People forget what an immense success Archie comics were. A creator of comics is most likely going to read and be influenced by comics. and it makes sense that this might have helped inspire a creator in Japan who worked with similar themes.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
christine, please observe our policy on necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1