• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:
And am I the only one who acutally likes the dub here? Based on what I've heard so far about Lelouch's character I guess I can go ahead and admit Bosh could be doing a better job, yeah, but still not half bad nonetheless (I'm actually quite liking him as a villain! ). And the rest of the dub cast seems to be doing quite well for themselves as well.

No, you're not, I find it excellent as well, especially at catching that over the top, campy style that the series uses. It's a Goro Tanaguchi directed series after all (Infinite Ryvius, Planetes, Scryed).

Also, Lulouch is technically an anti-hero not a villain. Basically, he's not your typical "good guy", he's rather cold, selfish, and ruthless and the only thing he really cares about is...well we haven't gotten to that point in the series yet so I won't say anything.

Hey, I'm enjoying it, too, remember?

...But I can't say it's "good." It's "well-done" and "on-target" for this kind of show, but is it "good?" That would require genuine acting and genuine-sounding characters, for me personally. But it's a well-done dub, we're not talking Yu-Gi-Oh! corniness here that actually hurts the product.

We're just talking fittingly Warner Brothers-esque casting. After all, this IS a cartoon, right? Not all cartoons have to be taken seriously. (Just my personal favorites. I are a big snob. Twisted Evil )
Olliff

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kruszer"]
Quote:

Also, Lulouch is technically an anti-hero not a villain he does...sort of take the moral high ground in the series it's just some of his methods [spoiler]are no better than Britania's which he's supposedly fighting against. He believes in order to beat the enemy you have to sink yourself to their level and become one real SOB I guess[/apoilers]. Basically, he's not your typical "good guy", he's rather cold, selfish, and ruthless and the only thing he really cares about is...well we haven't gotten to that point in the series yet so I won't say anything.

Even if you are watching the Japanese broadcast, I believe it is too early to tell if Lelouch is either an anti-hero or a villain protagonist. However, I do agree that he doesn't fit the stereotypical hero character mold. It easy to forget that a well-intentioned extremist is a type of villain. Good intentions alone do not guarantee that a character is a hero. However, that being said, anime fans are often reluctant to admit that the protagonist is a villain, even when it is clear , such as in the case of Death Note's spoiler[ Light. ]

Back to the topic of the English broadcast, so far I am moderately content with most of the voices. However, once you hear one voice for a character any other voice often sounds unnatural.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
Chaos42 wrote:
it is a realy good anime and i hope they box set this one its not somethig you can put out in vol.

besides the way the market is moving boxsets are the norm more so than they used to be

they are releasing it in two disk sets (the first one will be 10 episodes. It's suppossed to be released in August.

ok HOW is that going to work if you release it like that you have 5 that are orphaned
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I hope Lelouch gets to use his powers in unique ways, and I'm glad Suzaku, (as I figured) isn't dead. All the same, I have to ally with a few posters on here who said they see heavy strains of Gundam in this series.

The only comparison I can see to Gundam is that its made by Sunrise and that it has giant robots. If you want to compare it to SEED specifically, I guess you could say that its similar in that you have childhood friends fighting each other on opposite sides of the conflict, but you have to keep it vague for the comparison to work at all. As soon as you start looking at the character relationships and motives, it falls apart. Unlike in SEED, both of the childhood friends jumped into the conflict and keep it going of their own free will. Suzaku has been compared to Kira (and that's not intended as a compliment to either), but that's a stretch as well. They are both brown-haired Japanese males that pilot the super-strong prototype unit and beat down grunt with ease with a tendency to spout (arguably hypocritical) ideals. But again, its more complicated than that.

So if those vague similarities count as "strains of Gundam" then sure. I really don't see any remotely reasonable point of comparison other than the presence of giant robots as military weapons, and even that's a stretch as the mecha in Code Geass play less of a role than they do in Gundam.

Kruszer wrote:
Also, Lulouch is technically an anti-hero not a villain he does...sort of take the moral high ground in the series it's just some of his methods [spoiler]are no better than Britania's which he's supposedly fighting against. He believes in order to beat the enemy you have to sink yourself to their level and become one real SOB I guess[/spoilers]. Basically, he's not your typical "good guy", he's rather cold, selfish, and ruthless and the only thing he really cares about is...well we haven't gotten to that point in the series yet so I won't say anything.

Right, "villain" implies bad guy or evil; it suggets a dichotomy of good and evil, with the villain doing evil and the good hero opposing him. But Code Geass works mostly in shades of grey. You can't pidgeonhole Lulu or Suzaku into either category. Lulu's goals are noble or or heinous depending on perspective but his means are brutal and he has no problem sacraficing people to achieve his goals. Suzaku.... well, his method has some problems, but its best not to get into him at this point. A lot of people end up hating Suzaku but I find him a very interesting character.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

I hope Lelouch gets to use his powers in unique ways, and I'm glad Suzaku, (as I figured) isn't dead. All the same, I have to ally with a few posters on here who said they see heavy strains of Gundam in this series.

The only comparison I can see to Gundam is that its made by Sunrise and that it has giant robots. If you want to compare it to SEED specifically, I guess you could say that its similar in that you have childhood friends fighting each other on opposite sides of the conflict, but you have to keep it vague for the comparison to work at all. As soon as you start looking at the character relationships and motives, it falls apart. Unlike in SEED, both of the childhood friends jumped into the conflict and keep it going of their own free will. Suzaku has been compared to Kira (and that's not intended as a compliment to either), but that's a stretch as well. They are both brown-haired Japanese males that pilot the super-strong prototype unit and beat down grunt with ease with a tendency to spout (arguably hypocritical) ideals. But again, its more complicated than that.

So if those vague similarities count as "strains of Gundam" then sure. I really don't see any remotely reasonable point of comparison other than the presence of giant robots as military weapons, and even that's a stretch as the mecha in Code Geass play less of a role than they do in Gundam.

Not trying to pigeonhole it or anything, but I thought I'd mention it because I'd heard it stated repeatedly on the forums, and I wanted to add that I could see where those people were coming from.

The biggest element to me that reminded me of Gundam is the overall mood of the show, although Geass is a little lighter than Gundam, at least to begin with. (And yeah, I was thinking of SEED as I watched Suzaku and..."Lulu" is Lelouch's pet name? Cuuuute. Razz )

Anyway, the mood, or attitude taken toward war and how it is portrayed is reminiscent of Gundam to me. War clearly isn't viewed positively, but anime rarely shows war positively. What's different is the stance of neither side being either right or wrong. There's some sympathy to be had on both the side of the Britannians and the Japanese (or Elevens) but there's also a lot of ambiguity and animosity toward both sides. I mean, you'd think the oppressive side here would be depicted more inhumanly savage, but as of now they're seen in similar strains to ZAFT and the Earth Alliance. One has the upper hand, but an overcoming by the Eleven terrorists wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.

And honestly, Suzaku is currently more sympathetic than Lulu. Currently. Wink It's just a very unique and realistic if not distant way of viewing war.

That and the bright colors, wispy boys and factions controlling unique mechs, yeah, I can see where people have been comparing it to Gundam. Doesn't mean it's a lot like it, but it's a good series to compare it to in describing the show to newcomers.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

The biggest element to me that reminded me of Gundam is the overall mood of the show, although Geass is a little lighter than Gundam, at least to begin with. (And yeah, I was thinking of SEED as I watched Suzaku and..."Lulu" is Lelouch's pet name? Cuuuute. Razz )

I'm not sure if the dub will ever call him Lulu or if they'll stick with Lelouch all the time, but his classmates tend to call him Lulu in the Japanese version. And yes, Code Geass has a lot of lighthearted moments. It can be quite hilarious at times.

Quote:
Anyway, the mood, or attitude taken toward war and how it is portrayed is reminiscent of Gundam to me. War clearly isn't viewed positively, but anime rarely shows war positively. What's different is the stance of neither side being either right or wrong. There's some sympathy to be had on both the side of the Britannians and the Japanese (or Elevens) but there's also a lot of ambiguity and animosity toward both sides. I mean, you'd think the oppressive side here would be depicted more inhumanly savage, but as of now they're seen in similar strains to ZAFT and the Earth Alliance. One has the upper hand, but an overcoming by the Eleven terrorists wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.

Ah, okay, I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from..

Quote:
And honestly, Suzaku is currently more sympathetic than Lulu. Currently. Wink It's just a very unique and realistic if not distant way of viewing war.

Sympathy is in the eye of the beholder. There are reasons to be sympathetic with him and reasons to be, at the very least, annoyed with him.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
things will get interesting once you get to 20 things get well you will see
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Code Geass dubbed lately. Lelouch is around a number of pretty girls. However, which one is the closest to a girlfriend. I would think Kallan.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

I'm not sure if the dub will ever call him Lulu or if they'll stick with Lelouch all the time, but his classmates tend to call him Lulu in the Japanese version. And yes, Code Geass has a lot of lighthearted moments. It can be quite hilarious at times.

If I recall correctly, I did hear him being called Lulu in episode two of the dub. And they kept Kallen's name, instead of translating it to "Karen", which is a far more appropriate British name (in my opinion).
Chaos42

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
In terms of Women Lelouch has a number (mega spoilers DON'T READ unless you want to either totaly ruin the series or you already seen the series
spoiler[
1 C.C.-mystierious and rather bossy kissed him twice but seems to not be so much love as partners in crime
2 Kallen-extremly enamored with Zero and i think she blushes a bit when talking to him on several occations plus Lelouch has seen her naked from behind and her in that bunny girl suit ex
3. Shirly-nick named him lulu tried to date him has subsequently been driven crazy because of mao and zero killing her father
4. Milly-She has a crush on Lelouch but she has to restore her family
5. Kaguya Sumeragi -Kyoto house leader and totaly enamored with zero-not much on this one also Suzakus relitive

]

Thats my take on it, personaly i think Kallen has a stronger chance at him.
sj21

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Just finished episode 2(if it comes out dub before i watch sub than i stick with dub unless i get to excited, i may with this series) and am completely blown away. I love the character designs for this. But there not the usual clamp. Oh well. But i mean the action is just awesome and i can't wait for episode 3 tonight. Its really got me on the edge of my seat.
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
sj21 wrote:
Just finished episode 2(if it comes out dub before i watch sub than i stick with dub unless i get to excited, i may with this series) and am completely blown away. I love the character designs for this. But there not the usual clamp. Oh well. But i mean the action is just awesome and i can't wait for episode 3 tonight. Its really got me on the edge of my seat.

..... ok that made no sence to me at all. the subs are already out they are on r2 the second season.

@Chaos42 I thought that spoiler[Milly was a lesbian? Did i just totally come up with that?] although almost everyone has a crush on Lelouch spoiler[there was that one w/ the cat and zero's hat and everyone wanted to kiss Lelouch or kallen]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Just saw episode three on adultswim.

I am now watching two shows (Death Note) on adultswim with protagonists I can't stand...and I love watching both. Something's wrong here...

Anyway, despite the fact I hate Prince Clovis, because spoiler[Lelouch killed him in cold blood after he agreed to give him information. (He was honest before Lulu used the power of Geass.)] ...I now have a new nickname for our lead: Lelouch the Douche. Not that I can compare him to Light Yagami. Lulu is still a moderately likable character with many good qualities...in principle. And his actions make sense...when you think about it.

But me, personally, I don't like him much. Too good of a liar, too quick to manipulate, too callous, and too immature to realize the implications of spoiler[freaking MURDERING his stepbrother in cold blood. At close range. My gosh.]

So...the power of Geass spoiler[can only be used once per person. Well, crap. Lulu's just lost his big opportunity to manipulate Kallen should the need arise, and given that she leads the main terrorist factions of Elevens, the need would probably arise. That also means that ponytail soldier of Britannia is immune to him too, now. I get the sneaking suspicion that will be a plot point. (Or it should be if this story is terribly cohesive.)]

Speaking of Kallen, she's one tough chick. I like her. Not the brightest bulb on the tree, though. I'd be more suspicious if I were her...I get the feeling she and the orange-hair girl will be the subject of MUCH more fanservice...and...Milly is striking me as profoundly...yuri...hm. Maybe it's just me, but she's fitting the stereotype so far.

Nice cliffhanger, too. Good episode. Suzaku has yet to prove himself a pain, but Lelouch is grating on me. Yeah, he's smart, but he's honestly very cold, and I guess I just don't like that.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
After this episode the show has left a much better flavor in my mouth. I think the screenplay in this one went much better. I agree with JesuOtaku about watching two shows with protagonists like this back to back. It's kind of weird.

Anyway it's all good since I didn't roll my eyes too much during this episode. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
Lelouche had to kill the prince though, because he knew who he was, and he couldn't let someone who knew who he was survive to tell anyone else. Also, he had issues with the guy. Morally clear? No, but pragmatic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 60