• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
he doesn't do it for moral reasons)

Moral reasons?

I highly doubt that.

Lelouche isn't a total bastard, he does (to a degree) intent to use the Black Knights as he declared in his broadcast.

also the reason he doesn't order Euphie to kill Cornellia is because he wants information about who killed his mother, also he has learned to use his Geass sparingly (since it only works once per person) and while it may not seem obvious he does care about Euphemia.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c3921aa01262011aa14876750019

episode 9 or an episode of Kallen

also, Rivalz really freaks me out.
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
One thing I noticed and really appreciated during this week's episode was how incredibly vibrant the character animations were. Even during dialogue scenes, they weren't just talking heads. They actually gesticulated and occasionally turned their heads to look at something else, like real people do in conversations! Small touches like that mean a lot to me.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
One thing I noticed and really appreciated during this week's episode was how incredibly vibrant the character animations were. Even during dialogue scenes, they weren't just talking heads. They actually gesticulated and occasionally turned their heads to look at something else, like real people do in conversations! Small touches like that mean a lot to me.

And other little touches like inexplicably putting girls in cat suits! (And Lelouche and Uzaku...woof, woof.) Wink Twisted Evil
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
And other little touches like inexplicably putting girls in cat suits! (And Lelouche and Uzaku...woof, woof.) Wink Twisted Evil

Milly likes to do that kind of thing, ALOT...

next week the premiere of the Guren Mk II.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:13 am Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
he doesn't do it for moral reasons)

Moral reasons?

I highly doubt that.

Lelouche isn't a total bastard, he does (to a degree) intent to use the Black Knights as he declared in his broadcast.

I agree about Lelouche not being all bad, though I haven't seen anything beyond the dub to judge him on, but I highly doubt he would have any moral reasons to not use his Geass to get more commands, if it was possible. After all, he has no problem using Geass in the first place, and had no qualms about trying to give Kallen a second command with it. If he could simple use his Geass to say "do whatever I command when I snap my fingers", why would he consider that any more immoral than any other use of Geass?
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote
how would he be any better than Britannia if he simply forced everyone to obey him; subjugated their will completely?

He wants to create a world where the weak are not controlled by the strong (more for Nunnally's sake but he believes realizing that Ideal is the key to that world) if he forced people to follow him he would be a hypocrite and if people realized that they wouldn't follow him
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
how would he be any better than Britannia if he simply forced everyone to obey him; subjugated their will completely?

He wants to create a world where the weak are not controlled by the strong (more for Nunnally's sake but he believes realizing that Ideal is the key to that world) if he forced people to follow him he would be a hypocrite and if people realized that they wouldn't follow him

Thus separating him from the purely evil machinations of "that other anime lead" on adultswim right now.

I really do admire Lelouche in many ways now, and don't think of him solely as a self-motivated, callous, unsympathetic douche. I can't imagine being like him myself, and I've had many other protagonists I like better, but I do consider Lelouche a very good man (boy?) at heart, for the reasons BDZ listed.

The same, really, could be said of Uzaku, except that he's on the other end of the spectrum. There is such a thing as too nice, too caring, too submissive. I still like him better than Lulu, but I get the feeling he'll be screwing himself over in the near future.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:

He already does force people to do whatever he want, at least a little bit, using the Geass. He's had no qualms about ordering people to shoot themselves, or perform actions they would never want to and that would likely get them executed. And he tried to give Kallen a second command using Geass. Why doesn't that make him a hypocrite, then?

I'm not suggesting that he'd use the "snap my fingers" trick on every single person he's ever seen, to accomplish his every whim. But I fail to see why using it on a few select people would be any worse than using his Geass. Either way, he's surpressing someone's free will and forcing them to do as he pleases. Does doing it only once per person somehow make it better? Even if it did, that's not a choice Lelouche made. As I already mentioned, he tried to use Geass and Kallen a second time. That showed that he had no problem with surpressing a person's free will more than once.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

He already does force people to do whatever he want, at least a little bit, using the Geass. He's had no qualms about ordering people to shoot themselves, or perform actions they would never want to and that would likely get them executed. And he tried to give Kallen a second command using Geass. Why doesn't that make him a hypocrite, then?

I'm not suggesting that he'd use the "snap my fingers" trick on every single person he's ever seen, to accomplish his every whim. But I fail to see why using it on a few select people would be any worse than using his Geass. Either way, he's surpressing someone's free will and forcing them to do as he pleases. Does doing it only once per person somehow make it better? Even if it did, that's not a choice Lelouche made. As I already mentioned, he tried to use Geass and Kallen a second time. That showed that he had no problem with surpressing a person's free will more than once.

At this point Lulu knew very little about Geass, he can't have known how long geass may work. I think he didn't use geass so carelessly because of this. He could have geassed all the people he needed but if geass had lasted only for some time he would not have been able to use it later on. He probably restrained himself from doing it so that he could use it at the most suitable moment.

I would like to make it clear that I don't think Lulu didn't do it because of moral reasons.

Last edited by Aylinn on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
then why did he not use this snap his fingers trick as a test?

if he was really testing it I'm sure the idea crossed his mind.

I have remembered one part of the series where he gave a command that upon a certain cue someone was to do something (yes I'm being very vague here but suffice to say what he does is far from "Obey me")

He doesn't like doing some of the things he does but he sees them as necessary (several cases come to mind of him regretting an action he deemed necessary one of which is coming up in this next episode or two)
Istan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
One problem of the "snap my fingers" thing is that while under the influence of the geass they act as mindless people devoid of any obvious thought then what he gives them. Lelouch doesnt seem particularly fond of people knowing he's zero or about the geass for obvious reasons:it make things difficult.

Therefore if he had zombie like people surrounding him, even if it was merely those he geassed into being a black knight puppet it would look very strange and he could draw the wrong kind of attention and suspicion as well as lose the support of those he NEEDS to have free will, such as kallen. In order to fight effectively you need to have some free will to be adaptive in a fighting situation so he doesnt do the "snap his fingers" geass thing because, especially at this point with the low number of troops, he needs quality soldiers as well as throwaway pawns.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
Like some others, I don't think I would personally have done some of the things that Lelouch has done, toying around with something as morally ambiguous as the Geass just to test it, for instance, but I also wouldn't put him in the same category as Light - yet. Unless I've missed something, Lelouch has thus far practiced what Light preaches but doesn't do himself and limited his kills to war criminals. He hasn't killed anyone simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time (indeed, has specifically been shown to do otherwise), and I get the impression he would have a big problem with killing someone whose only crime was finding out that he's Zero. Light stated his intention of starting off with the real scum of the Earth and working his way up to those who commit even the tiniest infractions, and doesn't give two cents about collateral damage, which makes a lie of his whole supposed initial motivation. Lelouch, motivated by his love for his sister, seems to only want to get things stabilized to the point where she and people like her aren't victimized.

I've seen enough anime at this point to realize that could all change drastically in only one episode, but that's my take on things at this point. Further episodes will tell.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Hehehe, Episode 10 is out online at Adult Swim's website! And it's this episode and especially next week episode that should provide damn good hooks for following this series! Cool

And in episode 10 is where you see spoiler[one of Zero's tactical achievements of awesomeness by creating a landslide to wipe out a large portion of the Brittanian army. And not to mention Karen absolutely owning Orange in her new Guren.]
UmbreTanuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
hmmmm..I personally would rather watch the japanese subtitles, and i dont usually bother with watching dubs. Even if i was going to watch it i would record code geass and then watch it in the morning. Other than that i have no idea when it airs. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 60