• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Color pages in graphic novels

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerberus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed that for a lot of publishers, color pages will not be reprinted in color. This is always the case for Viz, but every now and then I'll see some color for Tokyopop or ADV. I wanted to know whether pages are ever in color for the Japanese GNs. I've downloaded scans of the first pages in Japanese volumes, and they're usually in color. Were those just some funny cases I saw?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
no. the paper they use here for colored pages is more expensive then for black and white so they probably don't color all the colored pages here to save some money.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote
another thing I've noticed is the US release of manga is on better quality paper then the japanese release of the same volume. I wish the us companys would use the same paper as the japanese release then manga would be even cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Gekigangar3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I think that they should keep the quality of paper they have now. I'd rather pay a few bucks extra for something I'll be able to keep a long time, than buy a cheaper version, with pages that are more likely to rip and yellow, and become worse faster than higher quality pages.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, definitely...higher paper quality should definitely stay.
I was upset that in some of the older CCS books they switched to newsprint. That was awful.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
another thing I've noticed is the US release of manga is on better quality paper then the japanese release of the same volume. I wish the us companys would use the same paper as the japanese release then manga would be even cheaper.

if they ever switched to cheaper paper, the price would most likey still be the same since they already know people will pay for it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:02 am Reply with quote
The color pages are usually made for splash pages in their magazine release, and get printed in black and white for the GN release. Lately however, the new trend of printing the color splashing in color is popping up. Example: All of CLAMPs new manga tankubon have all the color pages.

I believe all the color pages we get on GN releases here were most likely in the original Japanese release due to the fact that they're using the original tankubon, and not the magazine chapters for the American version. It's be a lot of extra work to search for the original color pages, and they may even have to go through some legal stuff.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope that they keep using archive quality paper in manga books.

I'd like to keep these things longer than my old comic books.
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:33 am Reply with quote
The red color in many do not get translated. Spriggan and some others a friend has both versions of, has pages that use red and black ink done in only black ink.
^ . ^

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:03 am Reply with quote
I perfer manga to stay in black and white. God only knows what we 'd be paying for manga if it was in color. I know one of the Ghost in the Shell mangas I've seen, some of it was in color, and it's almost 30 dollars.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:51 am Reply with quote
I have it - and it is worth the money if you like the story, there is roughtly 3 full pages (Front and back) of color at the start of each segment, and the paper is high quality glossy paper. Also, there is the larger format which drives the price up some.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:58 am Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
I have it - and it is worth the money if you like the story, there is roughtly 3 full pages (Front and back) of color at the start of each segment, and the paper is high quality glossy paper. Also, there is the larger format which drives the price up some.

Yeah, all Darkhorse things are pretty pricey. They give manga the same treatment they give all their other comic releases *at least they used to* in the super quality graphic novel format.
Yuki555

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
That's funny, I haven't found any color manga pages. Laughing
I prefer it to be black and white anyhow, the colors are for the anime version. ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1