• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - All Over the World

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
I thought the first Izuna did have some minor lesbian antics, it's just that Atlus took it out of the American release. It'd explain why Shino had no personality despite the official art showing her gleefully groping Izuna.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yet the most interesting Square-related event took place at Best Buy stores across America, where one of those “Coming Soon” signs in a game department listed a Final Fantasy VII remake hitting the PlayStation 2 on August 16. Mishaps like this make me glad for the Internet. Fifteen years ago, seeing such astounding news on a Best Buy placard would've blown my mind and consumed my thoughts for weeks on end, until I saw it debunked in Electronic Gaming Monthly or Gamepro. Today, we have a network of cynical fans and alert semi-journalists to expose these fallacies.

The date's probably wrong, but not the game. Wink

Quote:
Advent Children Complete, incidentally, will stand as the director's cut of the movie by adding about half an hour of new scenes for us to argue about.

Will the other characters besides Cloud and Tifa actually be present in this one? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Laster year, Square Enix played a rotten trick on the Parasite Eve faithful by announcing another game, The 3rd Birthday, and then revealing it as a Japanese cell-phone title that Americans would probably never play on their allegedly inferior, hand-cranked, tollbooth-sized portable phones. I believe the related press release may have concluded with the phrase “nyah nyah nyaaaaah.”

What about that alleged FFIV sequel?

Quote:
Another survival-horror title starring the 35-year-old Aya Brea (who, in game-heroine tradition, still looks about 22),

They finally took over. Wink

Quote:
Though the Japanese version came out in 1986, the American Puss 'n Boots wasn't released until 1990, when games like Crystalis and Super C made it look ancient.

BTW, Super C's an unlockable in Contra 4.

Oh, and I never saw that Captain N episode. I wonder if Toei approved that redesign. The story might be public domain, but the character is based off a specific game, so...
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
What about that alleged FFIV sequel?

It's quite fun. It would make a good DS game, but I can't see it being sold at full price. Actually, it would make a good GBA game, but oh well.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
Ug. I hope that's a mistake or something. What the hell does anyone want with a remake for PS2? It's going to look nicer than the original but still ultimately be outdated upon release. Whats the point if they don't recreate it with current generation technology?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Ug. I hope that's a mistake or something. What the hell does anyone want with a remake for PS2? It's going to look nicer than the original but still ultimately be outdated upon release. Whats the point if they don't recreate it with current generation technology?
You had it.It's not real,man.They are just messing with you.

There might be a remake(not the tech demo) in a couple more years.Kanji Tashiro mentioned it.And It does feel inevitable.I would hope not though.In this old gamers opinion,Square and Enix alike,really need to move on.Their ideas were far better as rivals.The quality of the current games just isn't there anymore.Sequels and spinoffs *yawn* get tiring after a while.Future FF's will also never be the same without Sakaguchi.

Nice article Tod.Keep it up.
Mobius Archer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the meantime, you can replay the first two PlayStation titles or, if you're desperate, watch that marginally related live-action movie.

You left out the book that their all based on? It has been translated into English. You can find it easy enough on Amazon.
Descent123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Irem should stop making R-Type games. Mad

I might pick up Bangai-O Spirits next week.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

So that the many people who have a PS2 but don't think the PS3 is worth it will be able to play? The PS3 plays previous generation games, right? I think it's a good idea (if it is, indeed, true).

By the way, did anyone else read the "Puss in Boots" game cover as "Russian Bats"?
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
PS3 will only play PS2 games if you have the 80gb version or the rare 60gb (comes with the actually PS2 hardware inside, as oppose to the 80gb "software emulation" other than that your screwed.

its nice to see another Parasite Eve game comming, and lets not talk about the horrible movie.

also why would they release FFVII on the PS2? its kind of backwards isnt it? what square needs to do is release FFVI in full PS3 3d graphics
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Although I thought the first Izuna game was alright, the fact that Atlus is really pushing the moe factor in the sequel is a big turn off. Video games aren't cheap anymore, so a gamer should only buy games he/she really wants.

As for Final Fantasy, I am not sure if Playstation two games are even made anymore, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing at least one more remake on the Playstation two before the system retires.

Though I haven't really seen any new Playstation two games come out in quite a while.

Excellent article Todd, see you next week.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
PS3 will only play PS2 games if you have the 80gb version or the rare 60gb (comes with the actually PS2 hardware inside, as oppose to the 80gb "software emulation" other than that your screwed.

80GB is only partially software. It still has half of the PS2 hardware in there.

Software emulation will come eventually, but only in the same way MS is doing it--on a per game basis.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
As for Final Fantasy, I am not sure if Playstation two games are even made anymore, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing at least one more remake on the Playstation two before the system retires.

Though I haven't really seen any new Playstation two games come out in quite a while.

PS2 games are still being made, and the PS2 is still selling reasonably well, too. Admittedly there aren't really any grand releases for the PS2, but games (mostly sports and other multiplatform ones (like The Force Unleashed)) are still being made. Of course, there's still at least 1 PS2 exclusive: Persona 4.

Anyway, seeing as I don't currently own a PS3, and my PS2 finally died, I wouldn't care which system a remake was made on (I'll probably end up buying both unless those pricks at Sony decide to make another full-BC system...or I can find a 60 GB). I never played the original, so I don't have any false (in my opinion) sense of wanting to keep it the way it was. Sure, I could probably buy it used...for an insanely inflated price.
Descent123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Video games aren't cheap anymore, so a gamer should only buy games he/she really wants.

LOL.

Go back 15-20 years when Cartridges were still around. Nowadays games are cheap.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
DFB:
Quote:
PS2 games are still being made, and the PS2 is still selling reasonably well, too. Admittedly there aren't really any grand releases for the PS2, but games

I beg to differ.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Video games aren't cheap anymore, so a gamer should only buy games he/she really wants.

LOL.

Go back 15-20 years when Cartridges were still around. Nowadays games are cheap.

yea i remember paying $80 for SFII for the SNES when it came out. games today are cheap
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3