• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magister Negi Magi to be Censored (from animeondvd.com)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerowen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Magister Negi Magi to be Censored (06:28 PM EST): According to information posted at Ken Akamatsu's diary site, he let it be known that some aspects of the Negi Magi manga for US publication were being toned down, such as breasts being covered up by hair or towels (as Akamatsu doesn't draw the nipple too much apparently) and and panties being added to previously bare bottoms. Dallas Middaugh of Del Rey confirmed that approximately 10 panels in the first volume of the manga were altered with the artists knowledge to get "into as many U.S. bookstores as possible." Dallas was also good enough to ensure fans that "no changes made in xxxHOLiC, Tsubasa, or Gundam SEED."

Those of you who have visited us here over the course of our nearly six years will know that we like our breasts and our bottoms bared, so we're quite disappointed in this news in what was otherwise shaping up to be a stellar launch line up for Del Rey. Our hope is that they'll correct this for subsequent printings and realize that "far worse" has been acceptable in US bookstores for quite some time, in manga, comics and more.

the forum thread on the aod forums can be found here:

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=368466&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

--
jero
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:23 am Reply with quote
>.> Ok... they're toning down Magister Negi Magi, and not touching XXXholic? That seems a bit wrong to me. XXXholic, is well... Yuuko... she has some... outfits... and those little girls who are... very suggestive... and stuff... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Shame that Del Ray has to release something something they find so... inappropriate as their first release. They should of double checked those manga titles. Why can't they just plastic wrap them like other companies do with mature titles? *still grumpy about their Tsubasa treatment* I bet those CLAMP titles aren't going to have anywhere near the quality release they got in Japan. *shudders at the English cover they released*
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:46 am Reply with quote
I can understand a company who has never dealt with manga titles being a bit hesitant in how they handle their first batch of releases. I'm not going to grumble about it until I see it. We should be happy that they aren't doing anything to XXXholic...I love CLAMP.
Hiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:21 am Reply with quote
Although I am one of Japanese Mr. Akamatsu's fans, he is not angry about having been redrawn in the United States at all.

Rather, it is seeming to enjoy itself.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Check the front page,

Del Ray saying that they are not changing any part of Negima.

Not that it was that big of a deal, but it should lower the blood pressure of some people on this site.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1