• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Uh this isn't a sequel guys this will be a reboot a re-adaption of the manga that will follow it more closely, the manga is also coming to an end so they won't have to put any filler or make up an ending like the first series did.

Anyways here's some info that Duckroll from anime-suki forums posted:

Quote:

Moon Phase is saying that it is a reboot adaptation of the manga, and will be a year long TV series like the first series. It'll air starting in April 2009 on the new GeassR2/00SecondSeries slot on TBS and MBS on Sundays.

Moon Phase has never been wrong before, and he's spilled the beans for tons of stuff before they're formally announced, so there's no reason to think this isn't 100% true.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Meh,it does'nt matter to me both the manga and anime are good in many unique different ways,because in reality,theres no such thing as a perfect Anime adaption or perfect original manga since mankind,because both anime and manga have they're ups and downs,but I accept them they way they are.

but anyway,I like both Anime and manga's storylines,I mean sure the manga does'nt have the same brotherly bond relationship between Ed and Al like the anime has,but the manga still overall has a cool unique storyline

same way with Shaman King,I always wished it would have least got a better sequel or a reboot since the anime also derived from the manga and the ending felt rushed,but still was kind of good enough on it's own in my opinion,but hey at least it was kind of better than spoiler[Yoh's battle with Hao leaving off in a cliffhanger at the end of the manga storyline]
brightredglow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
ChasingPhantoms wrote:
And um. What. I do not follow your reasoning. The anime fans have the anime. The manga fans have the manga. So because the anime has, you know, the anime... the manga gets to have a manga and a brand spanking new anime? What?

Yeah, that is the logic. The first anime series got its run. Now that the manga appears to be finishing up, why shouldn't the manga get an animated version that follows its storyline more closely?

There are some of us who prefer the manga storyline and would love to see it animated. And there are some people out there who may not have liked the anime version and/or never bothered with the manga but who might like this version better as well.

@ZODDGUTS and Braves: Thank you for the additional info.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:

Anyways here's some info that Duckroll from anime-suki forums posted:

Quote:

Moon Phase is saying that it is a reboot adaptation of the manga, and will be a year long TV series like the first series. It'll air starting in April 2009 on the new GeassR2/00SecondSeries slot on TBS and MBS on Sundays.

Moon Phase has never been wrong before, and he's spilled the beans for tons of stuff before they're formally announced, so there's no reason to think this isn't 100% true.

Actually Moon Phase Zakki has been wrong several times before. For example, Moon Phase Zakki posted the Ichigeki Sacchuu!! Hoihoi-san report that turned out to be faked, and it reported Code Geass R2's premiere date and timeslot a few times incorrectly before getting it right. That why the page warns in red letters at the very top that it includes "rumors" and "speculation," and therefore it "absolutely does not guarantee the authenticity of the information."

The main Moon Phase site itself is very reliable, but the separate Moon Phase Zakki page is less reliable without corroboration. Moon Phase Zakki is good, but far from perfect. That Fullmetal Alchemist report is on the Zakki page.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
same way with Shaman King,I always wished it would have least got a better sequel or a reboot since the anime also derived from the manga and the ending felt rushed,but still was kind of good enough on it's own in my opinion,but hey at least it was kind of better than spoiler[Yoh's battle with Hao leaving off in a cliffhanger at the end of the manga storyline]
Hey, from what I heard Shaman King is getting a proper ending though soon in the manga, so maybe we'll see a reboot/sequel/continuation of the anime sometime after the manga is done.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
ChronoBall X wrote:
Hey, from what I heard Shaman King is getting a proper ending though soon in the manga, so maybe we'll see a reboot/sequel/continuation of the anime sometime after the manga is done.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
ChronoBall X wrote:

The ending to the anime was fine, I thought (although I do prefer the anime over what I've read of the manga - it's more entertaining and tightly plotted). It wrapped up what became the main story (spoiler[Yoh's fight with Hao]) very nicely and didn't spiral off into a maze of filler episodes as so many shounen anime are wont to do, and it spoiler[sucessfully avoided a confrontation between any of the main characters], which was nice as that would have made me very sad. I guess Manta's last line could be interpreted as something of an open end, but I thought it was actually kind of funny - you'd think that spoiler[after such a huge, epic journey the narrator would know what the ultimate goal was, but here's the narrator basically saying "huh, what was that all about, anyway?" and walking off]. I suppose it depends on how seriously you take the rest of the anime, but I don't think it needs anything else.

I'd like to see an adaptation of the FMA manga and not a continuation of the anime for similar reasons - the anime storyline has resolved itself, and as far as I'm concerned, spoiler[if the Elrics are back together] then all is right with the world. I personally think the manga has better pacing, and there are plenty of scenes from it that I'd love to see animated. Adding more to the anime storyline would just feel unnecessary, unless it was to fill in the three years in between the series and Conqueror of Shamballa, but I don't see how they could stretch that out for 52 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nanakon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
Wow. I have no idea what to say to this.

I was actually just thinking about it and hoping it would never come to be. I'm frankly filled with dread. As a diehard FMA fan, I have absolutely no faith in them being able to make a new series live up to the first. There's just no way.

And so, if the second series isn't as good, the fullmetal franchise as a whole will be degraded. People won't be able to view it overall as well, so the whole series will be weakened.

Awfully pessimistic, but terrible true, I'm afraid.

Be afraid, very afraid. Shocked

I'm pretty sure i have to agree with you there.
I mean, i personally don't know how i should be feeling about this.
because, even if they do go from the Manga, the ending to Fullmetal alchemist was pretty much the only that the series could have ended. and the movie just basically helped sum the whole thing up, so i don't really see how they could make another series from this.

I just can't really see it happening.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, how did I miss this news yesterday...

Anyway, if this is going to be a straight manga adaptation, methinks it's about time to start buying those graphic novels!

But... I wonder how they're going to fit 19+ volumes of manga storyline into 52 episodes of anime...
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ah, very exciting news!!!
I'd personally like it to be like a branch, or an alternate ending type thing, following the manga instead, because I think the TV anime version was pretty much done. There was closure in the movie.

I can't wait =D
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Wow, how did I miss this news yesterday...

Anyway, if this is going to be a straight manga adaptation, methinks it's about time to start buying those graphic novels!

But... I wonder how they're going to fit 19+ volumes of manga storyline into 52 episodes of anime...

Is it already decided that the new series will be 52 episodes long?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Edius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
More FMA, Thanks God!
I wish More Darker than Black also (L)
Thanks!! Very Happy
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
the manga is also coming to an end

WRONG.
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:

WRONG.

What makes you so certain?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 8 pages over night.... Shocked Of course this being FMA why am I not surprised Wink

Zoe wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:

WRONG.

What makes you so certain?

Wasn't there a news article or something that confirmed she was going to end it soon? I don't know, I'm probably just imagining things.... Razz

In any case, this should be very, very interesting. I'm in favor of both ideas, whatever they decide to do is okay with me. Although personally I'm not sure if there's much more you could do with the anime's story, it seems to me like they pretty much tackled everything. In fact I think the only thing that was left hanging at the end of the series (not even sure if the movie even needed to be made....) was the whole idea of spoiler[Al not remembering anything that happened to them over those 4 years.] That probably could have been expanded upon more but other than that, I'd say it all came to a pretty satisfying ending, as did the movie.

There's also plenty I'd love to see animated from the manga as well. And I don't think that'd be a knock against the anime one bit. I don't see this being anything at all like what they did with Hellsing. I see it more as them doing it just because. I mean why not, really? It doesn't need to be done, sure, but that doesn't mean it can't be. Wink I'd like to see what was covered in manga only personally, at the very least just for the heck of it, it'd be pretty cool. I guess the way I see they could do it is maybe just recap everything that happened up to the divergence point or something, since we all know the story anyways Wink and then yeah, just continue the story from there. I also can't help but think the timing might have something to do with this, given that Arakawa is indeed going to finish it sometime soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14