• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Song that broke you into jpop/anime music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilandau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:18 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
first thing i listened to was... probably "Jajauma ni Sasenaide" (Ranma 1/2 OP #1)... which I listened to as a Quicktime 3 movie file, over and over.. would've been between may and august 1996.

if not that, it would've been one of the other ranma 1/2 openings, or one of the various DoCo quicktimes.

Yep, Original Ranma was my 'starter' anime. I picked up the soundtrack and later found the two DoCo cds.

I ended up searching for 'romaji' lyrics so I could sing along (very quietly Anime smallmouth ). And naturally this all lead to Hayashibara cd's. Anime hyper

Now I listen to more non-english music than English.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:16 am Reply with quote
Yoko Kanno - The music in Macross Plus stuck with me and at that time I didn't know anything about her almost visionary status. Also, though the "X" movie wasn't the greatest for a plotline, "Forever Love" by X-Japan haunted me for days after watching the film and since then I have become a huge fan, especially of "Longing" and "Rusty Nail."
Immorrel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly it was video games that got me into J-pop and then later on Macross Plus and Magic Knights Rayearth that kicked me over the edge. FF is always packed with J-pop you just didn't know it until you started looking for it on the net Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
meowblecat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Most definetely The Real Folk Blues.

Absolutely fell in love with it then first time i heard it.

And one of the endings off of InuYasha, but I forgot what its called.

Soul-wrenching. Smile

And the intro to rurouni kenshin
Good, but kinda weird.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Nanashi-Shinjokitty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
For me...probably either GLAY's "Winter, again," or Akino Arai's "Hiru no Tsuki." Anime smile Cowboy Bebop came much later, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Platinum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I think that I started listening to Japanese music with The Real Folk Blues, and then after hearing Real Emotion and Hitsugi no Copperia (sp?) I really started getting into it and downloading it. My favorites, personally, are Koda Mumi, Dir en Grey, and TM-R.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rensu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Well...for me, my friend told me to download "Give a Reason," the Slayers Next opener...so Megumi Hayashibara was the one that broke me in Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Neardawg1979

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:08 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of good songs here, but how about Rouga Fuu Fuu Ken from Dragonball? I'd allso have to say the opening theme from Outlaw Star, Through The Night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jncalp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:15 am Reply with quote
I had already been exposed to the themese from Inuyasha and although i did think they were nice, I never really made an effort to check them out, I really got into JPOP, even thought they aren't real famous in Japan, after I heard the song Hybrid Rainbow by the Pillows.
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I barely remember the songs from Escaflowne(I need to buy those),so really the song that got me interested even more into Japanese pop music was from Slayers the movie Midnight Blue by Megumi Hayashibara.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
supersajjin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote
A song that got me was "Love is a Riddle" from Please Teacher. Good song.............going to go listen to it now!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Koenma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I said before there first J-Pop song I heard was Sobakasu... but that was actually second. When I thought about it, It was probably "My Will" by dream, and Inu-Yasha's first ending song. I still love that song! *Tears*
Oz_damb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:49 am Reply with quote
Hmmmm, I guess mine would have to be a c-pop song from FF8 Faye Wong - eyes on me. since then I have become an avid fan of Boa, Koda Kumi, Faye Wong, and nuoboto uematsu(sp?)
I am a little bit of a FF freak but it does have great music.

oh yeah and the pillows from FLCL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nightshrill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
mine would have to be either Beast of Blood by Malice mizer, or Color me Blood red; also by Malice Mizer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4