• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, huge bummer. I can get that they showed a movie instead of anime, but for God's sake why show two episodes of ####-chan rather than new Geass and Bleach?
Askman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Damn, no new episode this week. I would be going through Code Geass withdrawals if I hadn't just recently watched all the episodes in my Limited Edition release.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
you mean 1-9 that came in the collectors box-didn't dvd 2 have several errors on episode 9 mine did had to call and beat up bandai about it

also its worse for me i missed bleach last week-my recorder got an error and the episode was scrambled so i didn't see it im annoyed
abominaSion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Since the beginning lulu was compared to Light from DeathNote. And in some ways I agree, but to a certain degree. Lulu's interior motive is to avenge his mother a make an ideal world for Nunnaly. and the outward motive is to liberate Japan from the Britianian opression including the abundant killing,descrimination and other in-humane actions commited towards numbers.
So are Lulu's actions that of Light or Che
Che the revolutionary, I've seen his image(face) in many Japanese footage.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
He's leading a revolution but its entirely for personal reasons: revenge and for his sister. He hates Britannia but he doesn't really care about the country he is liberating. I'm not that familiar with Che but I wouldn't say Lulu is very similar to him; for Lulu, the revolutionary is simply a role and a means to an objective.

However, his similarities to Light are limited to personality. Lulu is, by and large, arrogant prick who is more than happy to use people around him as pawns. Lulu, however, doesn't really have Light's god complex. He isn't interested in reshaping the world per se (it would happen, but its simply a result of what he wants) nor does he think he has morals or righteousness on his side (he simply makes claims in his theatrical stunts to get support, he doesn't actually believe it).

I would say he's a bit closer to Light than Che as there at least a few similarities between the two that aren't simply an act on Lulu's part, but the only real similarities between them are that they are arrogant pricks that use others for their own ends.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
im not sure your right he does have abrigded morals but he doesn't intentionaly kill people unless they are involved in the struggle he doesn't go around killing civilians and he also doesn't see people as pawns. first season i think he used it more as a frame of reference not so much as to what he acutaly though of them. Light kills people for small to large crimes and even kills people who are not criminals but get involved. Lelouch is more humble at times and shows that he regrets having to kill people. Light is totaly amoral and has no guilt about anything he does.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
Chaos42 wrote:
im not sure your right he does have abrigded morals but he doesn't intentionaly kill people unless they are involved in the struggle he doesn't go around killing civilians and he also doesn't see people as pawns. first season i think he used it more as a frame of reference not so much as to what he acutaly though of them. Light kills people for small to large crimes and even kills people who are not criminals but get involved. Lelouch is more humble at times and shows that he regrets having to kill people. Light is totaly amoral and has no guilt about anything he does.

CAUTION This is spoiler from R2
spoiler[ cough annihilation of the Geass Directorate cough ]

He doesn't see people as pawns? At the beginning he certainly saw people from The Black Knight as pawns and he proved it at the end of the first season when spoiler[he left them in the middle of the battle in search of Nunnally and he thought what was all of this for if Nunnally disappears. ] It explicitly shows that at this point he didn't care what happens with The Black Knight, the rebellion and the Black Knight were just a means to achieve his personal goal.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

CAUTION This is spoiler from R2
spoiler[ cough annihilation of the Geass Directorate cough ]

How about...context and circumstances? Not that you need to mention them, not here at least since this isn't the R2 thread and thus the point is rather moot in the first place because this is about the Adult Swim broadcast, but that matters a little.

Quote:

He doesn't see people as pawns? At the beginning he certainly saw people from The Black Knight as pawns and he proved it at the end of the first season when spoiler[he left them in the middle of the battle in search of Nunnally and he thought what was all of this for if Nunnally disappears. ] It explicitly shows that at this point he didn't care what happens with The Black Knight, the rebellion and the Black Knight were just a means to achieve his personal goal.

Actually, while his personal goals are indeed most important, there are signs that he doesn't really see everybody as pawns. He cares about his friends and his victory would, at least in intent and theory, lead to a better world for everyone else, including the Japanese. Plus he hasn't used his Geass to order everyone into permanent obedience, which he easily could have, when that would have been better from a strictly pragmatic point of view.

He does see his enemies as disposable, true, but his actual allies (as opposed to circumstantial ones) do receive better treatment more often than not. It's also true, however, that in moments of crisis he is self-centered and looks down on others, to put it lightly, but other factors should also be considered. One can't just take a couple of them and forget the rest, or at least it shouldn't be like that. Hard to go into much detail without spoiling both seasons.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
Actualy i think thats more along the lines of the role of a leader. Some times people are sacrificed in war, and there are reasons but that doesn't make it any more right or wrong it just harder. I think lelouch simply goes into a totaly logical mode of though and makes the decisions with the highest chance of success and keeping most of his people alive.

Over all Lelouch made people WANT to follow him while Light made most people follow out of fear which developed into cultisam and general insanity
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

How about...context and circumstances? Not that you need to mention them, not here at least since this isn't the R2 thread and thus the point is rather moot in the first place because this is about the Adult Swim broadcast, but that matters a little.

It was for these line
Quote:

but he doesn't intentionaly kill people unless they are involved in the struggle he doesn't go around killing civilians

Quote:

Light kills people for small to large crimes and even kills people who are not criminals but get involved.

People from spoiler[the Geass Directorate were not armed soldiers they were scientists, thus, it was massacre of civilians, although I admit that their research on geass may seem as morally wrong and the fact there was many people with geass there made the whole thing more difficult but Lulu himself didn't have problem with it as his original plan was to take over this place not annihilate.]

nightjuan wrote:

Actually, while his personal goals are indeed most important, there are signs that he doesn't really see everybody as pawns. He cares about his friends and his victory would, at least in intent and theory, lead to a better world for everyone else, including the Japanese. Plus he hasn't used his Geass to order everyone into permanent obedience, which he easily could have, when that would have been better from a strictly pragmatic point of view.

He does see his enemies as disposable, true, but his actual allies (as opposed to circumstantial ones) do receive better treatment more often than not. It's also true, however, that in moments of crisis he is self-centered and looks down on others, to put it lightly, but other factors should also be considered. One can't just take a couple of them and forget the rest, or at least it shouldn't be like that. Hard to go into much detail without spoiling both seasons.

I haven't said he sees all people as pawns because obviously he doesn't but The Black Knight were pawns to him as the liberation of Japan wasn't his objective it was just the side-effect of his goals, which I think was made clear in the last episode of season one.

Secondly, he doesn't use his geass on The Black Knight but remember he didn't know how long geass may last so why use it if he can make them cooperate with him without using it. There is Mao later on and Lulu learnt that geass become permanent at one point and it may drive one mad so even less reasons for using it recklessly.

Finally, he gives better treatment to his allies but I think it's obvious that he treats them better than circumstantial ones. It's just like normal people, the closer is someone to you, the better you treat the person and in Lulu's case he could gain their loyalty and establish himself as leader.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

It was for these line
Quote:

but he doesn't intentionaly kill people unless they are involved in the struggle he doesn't go around killing civilians

Quote:

Light kills people for small to large crimes and even kills people who are not criminals but get involved.

This isn't the R2 thread, and I still think you're missing out on context anyways. For both seasons one, up to the point it is being shown on Adult Swim (which is what matters the most for this discussion topic), and two.

It'd be great to discuss R2 in its proper thread, if that's what you want. Honestly, most people participating in this topic probably haven't seen all of season one...so if you bring R2 into this, or even unaired season one episodes, you're telling people to think about something they haven't even seen yet.

Quote:

Secondly, he doesn't use his geass on The Black Knight but remember he didn't know how long geass may last so why use it if he can make them cooperate with him without using it. There is Mao later on and Lulu learnt that geass become permanent at one point and it may drive one mad so even less reasons for using it recklessly.

Actually, he did test the Geass and, even within season one's Adult Swim broadcast, there is nothing indicating that there would be a time limit. Remember the girl who carves markings on the wall at Ashford? A similar command could place other people under his absolute control with little difference.

There are also a few more points I could make, but I don't want to involve spoilers in this, marked or otherwise.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

This isn't the R2 thread, and I still think you're missing out on context anyways. For both seasons one, up to the point it is being shown on Adult Swim (which is what matters the most for this discussion topic), and two.

It'd be great to discuss R2 in its proper thread, if that's what you want. Honestly, most people participating in this topic probably haven't seen all of season one...so if you bring R2 into this, or even unaired season one episodes, you're telling people to think about something they haven't even seen yet.

Ok, I think it would be better to leave it here.

nightjuan wrote:

Actually, he did test the Geass and, even within season one's Adult Swim broadcast, there is nothing indicating that there would be a time limit. Remember the girl who carves markings on the wall at Ashford? Also, using a permanent Geass (like Mao's) on someone wouldn't really qualify as any more "reckless" than Lelouch's own Geass. The results on the affected individuals (or victims if you prefer) appear to be the same. The difference lies elsewhere.

There are also a few more points I could make, but I don't want to involve spoilers in this, marked or otherwise.

But still it was just a test I believe Lulu was smart enough to know his goals cannot be accomplished in a weak so if by any chance geass disappeared after a longer period of time it would make the situation unnecessarily difficult.

With the permanent Geass I wanted to tell that Lulu might have wanted, after meeting Mao, not to overuse it so that it won't become permanent and consequently uncontrollable, which might drive him mad.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Holy crap! It's Spike!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
Concerning tonight's episode (#17): wait, I thought Lelouch already knew who was piloting the Lancelot? Have I been misinterpreting something this whole time?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of the voice for the blonde scientist. I mean, it kinda works, but for that character design I would have expected a much more "mature/seductive" voice, like a Wendee Lee, or a Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. The odd thing is that its Laura Bailey, who also did Lust in FMA, which was much closer to what I would have expected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 60