• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Genres

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 2:35 am Reply with quote
I've recently been considering changing the genres somewhat. This is mostly due to the "shoujo" and "shounen" genres. Shoujo and shounen are demographics, not genres. And even though we say that in this case they should be interpreted as stylistic indicators, this can still be a source of confusion. For example, we use "shounen" to mean "action". But what about a shoujo anime with action in it? (Sailor Moon, for example) And what about a shounen anime with the emphasis on relationships and character development typical of shoujo? (Video Girl Ai, for example)

It wouldn't be right to mislabel such anime, so I think a few changes are in order. Shounen will be replaced by "action". Maybe shoujo should be removed altogether. And while I'm at it, I figured I should ask everyone their opinion on what should be added to/renamed/removed from the list of genres. We currently have:

Adventure: action! thrills! faraway and exotic lands!
Comedy: it makes you laugh, it's funny
Drama: serious stuff and intense emotions
Fantasy: swords AND magic, usually with a "Dungeons & Dragons" feel
Historical: based (although sometimes loosely) on historical fact
Horror: gory and violent, and sometimes even manages to scare you
Magical girl: normal girl who transforms into a magical defender of peace and good
Mecha: those giant robots that kick ass
Military: focus on the military life, the army
Mystery: a secret must be unraveled through detective work
Police story: focus on cops, law enforcement
Psychological: messes with your head
Romance: love is an important part of the story
Science Fiction: spaceships, aliens, laser guns, you know... the future
Shoujo: emphasis on relationships and character development, primarily aimed at girls
Shounen: emphasis on action and fighting, primarily aimed at boys
Sports: soccer, baseball, basketball, you name it
Supernatural: has ghosts/demons/mysticism as central theme
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

It wouldn't be right to mislabel such anime, so I think a few changes are in order. Shounen will be replaced by "action". Maybe shoujo should be removed altogether. And while I'm at it, I figured I should ask everyone their opinion on what should be added to/renamed/removed from the list of genres.

The Supernatural category seems redundant to me. Sci-fi should pretty much cover that kind of thing, shouldn't it? Aliens and space ships are space fiction. It seems to me that Science Fiction covers more than that.

Other than that, I have no problems with the genre categories as they presently exist. If you want to eliminate shonen and shoujo, that's alright too. I understand what you're trying to say in either case.

One suggestion, though: Has anyone thought about creating some way to view all of the series in the database according to their genres? Someone on another message board asked me about anime series that involve military themes a while back, and something like that would have been really useful. Just a thought.
Smile
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:45 pm Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:

The Supernatural category seems redundant to me. Sci-fi should pretty much cover that kind of thing, shouldn't it? Aliens and space ships are space fiction. It seems to me that Science Fiction covers more than that.

Supernatural is more like traditional spirits, ghosts, etc. While they could technically fit into the sci-fi genre, I find it hard to call Vampire Princess Miyu a "Sci-Fi" series. :)

Or Demon City Shinjuku...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1