• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Shut Out at Harvey Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gynocrat_rex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm more pissed that out of all good manga out there they nominated crap like Witchblade and that OEL Manga Shakespere. Bullcrap.

IAWTC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
I cannot speak about how good/bad the Witchblade manga is, because I have not read it, but I don't think a scantily clad woman with generous cleavage was a hot contender for a Harvey.

Besides, Witchblade is not strictly a manga, is it? If I can nitpick, it's based on an American comic series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Yotaru: If it wasn't a contender, why did they nominate it in the first place?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Besides, Witchblade is not strictly a manga, is it? If I can nitpick, it's based on an American comic series.

We have Japanese manga based on English novels, Casablanca, Shakespeare, and even the Bible. They're still Japanese manga. After all, Shakespeare based The Comedy of Errors on earlier Roman plays, but his version is still an English play.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
testor: But is an American comic done by a manga artist now manga or still a comic?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: But is an American comic done by a manga artist now manga or still a comic?

Why not both? Smile They're not mutually exclusive. Especially in this case, since Witchblade Takeru was published in both Japan (Akita through Champion Red) and the U.S. (Top Cow).
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
It depends on who you ask. Some people say that manga has to be purely from Japan, from start to end, just like anime. I don't say that, but that's how others would like to classify it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
Nice choice on Perry Bible Fellowship.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Yet it was originally published in Japan under license from Top Cow / Aspen Studios / the late Michael Turner. Note that the category isn't even called 'Best Manga'. It's 'Best American Edition of Foreign Material'.
GATSU wrote:

Where is it published? What language do they speak there? What word do they use? There's your answer. Keep it simple. Keep it logical.

The prime example I like is when mangaka Tsutomu Nihei did a Wolverine comic mini series for Marvel. Of course do you call it a comic or graphic novel? Usually the floppies are comics and the trade paper back is a graphic novel. Er.. or trade paperback. It's also all sequential art. ... Hm. See. We got enough damn terms in English, no need to add Japanese into the mix.
Sven Viking wrote:
Nice choice on Perry Bible Fellowship.

Did someone just say "weeaboo"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2