• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Just a little bit of hype. Wink

A little? Try a lot. Geez.

Look, Code Geass is a pretty good show. And I admit it has gotten a lot better since it's shaky beginning. But still, unless it gets heaps upon heaps better in the remaining episodes then it's a travesty it's rated so high.

With that said I am looking forward to watching the recording of the new episode this week. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Look, Code Geass is a pretty good show. And I admit it has gotten a lot better since it's shaky beginning. But still, unless it gets heaps upon heaps better in the remaining episodes then it's a travesty it's rated so high.

Code Geass is a (mostly) fun series, but its far, far from a masterpiece and that it rates so high is kind of depressing. However, unlike you, I thought the series started off really strong, but had various issues come up as it went along. I found the episodes between the Mao arc and the festival to be particularly spotty. Regardless, I'm pretty sure you will find that Masterpiece rating more offensive as you see more.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Really, I don't know why some people don't like CG's episodes 22 and 23. In my opinion it was quite good, at least unlike in Gundams they used the pink-haired princess in an interesting way.
ryanjm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
^^I've seen a lot of anime so far that was rated very highly that I thought was pretty bad. Some of it is the type where the more serious/sad/pseudo-intellectual you make it, the higher it's rated. A couple of recent examples that come to mind are the "X" series and "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time." X I thought was pretty horrible, and Girl was simply mediocre and mostly somewhat boring.

Code Geass is the type of show that is extremely entertaining, and has a male hero that most guys wish they could be: powerful, very smart, several girls interested in him. If you want some escapist fantasy where you can identify with the hero, Code Geass is very satisfying.

But I think you're right in that there isn't much (so far that I've seen) in the way of a 'bigger picture' message that can elevate something that's merely entertaining to the level of masterpiece. I would give it an 8 or 9/10 overall, although I consider it similar to a Batman Begins or Spiderman 2 in that it's almost pure entertainment rather than something trying to go for an Oscar like Memento or The Departed, etc...
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951cbd41dc011cbe5e17c90032

episode 22 aka When the Shit Hits the Fan

a personal favorite and one of the biggest twists in the series...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951cbd41dc011cbe5e17c90032

episode 22 aka When the Shit Hits the Fan

a personal favorite and one of the biggest twists in the series...

Oh god, YES!!! Crying or Very sad

The English dub has really hit their stride in this episode!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall yelling at my computer after this episode, can't wait to hear my friend's reactions on Monday.
GenshikenServo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Amazing episode!
Shocked

I love this show because it's always entertaining and smart. Each episode gets better and better! It manages to never confuse me whilst still plot-twisting-like-a-Christopher-Nolan-Movie.
Laughing
Wanabedamned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Being that this is close to my first post on the board and certainly my first post on this thread...I love this series and the way the VA's have handled it!

What I've found so surprising is that Adult Swim is actually getting me back into watching anime. I would have never thought this was going to be my main source even 2 years ago, but I've strayed from anime lately. Code Geass and Moribito are the only thing I'm watching at the moment. This coming right after I finished Hajime No Ippo and Monster! Maybe those 2 took a lot out of me, but I'm pleased with how this show in particular is getting me back into anime again.

As for the current episode I found it a great turn in events. Suddenly Lelouch doesn't know what he'll do and someone you thought would never become a problem for him, has been brought to the front of the story.

My buddy who just finished watching season 2 tells me the next episode Adult Swim is set to air is going to be really good. I look foward to it Cool
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry

I've unfortunately spoiled myself on this series, but knowing what was coming just made this episode all the more terrible. I actually didn't want to watch it, but I forced myself to sit there and endure the tragedy. Next week's just gonna be even worse...
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote
Holy ####, what a twist. I was completely floored by this one, and it was so heartbreaking for all involved (and I imagine it'll only get worse). Harsh stuff.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
Holy ### is right, Ohoni. I just had to pick my jaw off the floor after that one.

spoiler[And Lelouch's world comes crashing down not because of any calculation on his part, but because of an innocent if stupid joke to one of the VERY few relatives he actually likes, and cares about him in return! I'm a little disappointed in him that he was able to start thinking about how to turn the horrific situation to his causes' advantage so quickly - albeit with tears in his eyes - but unfortunately he's right. He has a moral responsibility to kill Euphie now (and then decide whether or not to put a bullet in his own head now that it's been confirmed that he can't control Geass anymore, but first things first).
]

Next week is going to be very hard to watch.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see the choice he made at the end as being overly callous. spoiler[He was right, it was what Euphie would have wanted, under the circumstances. She wanted there to be a peaceful and stable Japan, and for him and Nunally to be happy, and in this case, exploiting the situation is the only way to achieve that.

He accepts responsibility for what he did, and was clearly devastated by it, but if he let the whole situation collapse without his further intervention then he would just be further destroy anything Euphie might have hoped for. He's doing the best he can with a horrible situation, rather than allowing the worst possible situation to come of it.]
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I was reminded of a faustian bargain- get whatever you want at the price of something that you eventually realise is much more important to you. I was half-expecting Lelouche to take a page out of Oedipus after that fiasco. Though perhaps in this case Odin would be a better metaphor.

Ten bucks says he spends the rest of the series walking around in sunglasses. Future's so bright, baby. Anime smile
joshuafer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow what a sick twist, spoiler[ turning the sweet euphie into a cold blooded japanese killer, she even shot that general guy ! I bet lelouch ordered him to kill euphie and / or cornelia. Man, I guess euphie and suzaku's relationship is pretty much screwed, especially if she tries to kill him and his geass order was to live...heh.] That was a seriously crazy episode !
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 60