• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bilingual J-Pop artists?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radicaledward

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Hikaru Utada, Mari Iijima, and BOA are the only ones I can think of right now...Soulhead's working on it.

I just want to point out that there are two bands with the name BoA - one is a British band that was signed by a Japanese label (Forgot the story behind that) and one is a Japanese band. The British one did the opening to Serial Expariments Lain.

Also, I want to mention 'Fiction' by Yuki Kajiura - which is the same person that did the .hack//Sign soundtrack and Noir. A very good album and worth picking up.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote
radicaledward wrote:
I just want to point out that there are two bands with the name BoA - one is a British band that was signed by a Japanese label (Forgot the story behind that) and one is a Japanese band. The British one did the opening to Serial Expariments Lain.

BoA is actually a Korean band. You can tell the difference in the name of the band usualy by the caps. BOA is the English group, and BoA is the korean one. I bought BOA's cd... the one with the title taht had to do with camels... and meh... they... well, I don't want to say "Suck" but the cd was a big letdown. Duvet seems to be their best song out of what I've heard them do. I don't think there was really a story behind them being signed on by a Japanese lable. They probably just released a cd in Japan, one of the producers working on Lain liked it, and decided to use Duvet as their theme.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:22 am Reply with quote
Ok I went back and double checked.

BoA is the J-Pop band - BoA Offical Website
bôa is the British band - bôa:::the offical website
rektagunn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:23 am Reply with quote
BoA, I believe, is an individual jpop artist....not a band.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry about the band thing, but BoA is originally Korean. Her real name is Kwon Boa, and she got really big in South East Asia, and that's when Avex of Japan signed her on.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Miwa (and maybe Masato) of DCT is quite flluent. Enough that the band has done various english albums (in good english), done a few tours here, shown up on Time Magazine, and even preformed at the 9:30 Club in D.C.. They're simply amazing. =P

Yeah, I went to the show at the 9:30 club. They sang all in English, and I was the only white guy in the place. I got so annoyed I made a "Nihongo kudasai" sign in kana/kanji and held it up.

They only did one song in Japanese. I didn't come to see them struggle through English lyrics, I came to hear the DCT I'd been listening to for several years. At least at the time her English wasn't that great. Certainly not what I'd call fluent.
sacchan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Utada Hikaru
Crystal Kay (she's half-Japanese, I think)
Hirai Ken (he's half-Japanese, too, and his English may not be as fluent as others, but you can't tell by listening to his songs)
Sowelu (she's also half or quarter Japanese)
LIV / Oshio Manabu (he grew up in the U.S., so he's fluent. But I don't think he's a good singer. He's better at acting.)
Lisa from m-flo (half-Japanese. I know she quit m-flo, though.)

I guess there are others, but that's all I can come up with now.
Bell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
hyde from l'arc~en~ciel sings in english a lot on his solo albums

Yes, but he has a woman help him with his English lyrics, so he's not truly fluent. (But he's getting better, so hey. ^^)

Shiina Ringo seems to be fluent and I heard she lived in New York for a few years...
hide also seemed to be quite fluent, though some of his lyrics did border on Engrish. (Scanner your brain, Scanner your bone)
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:25 pm Reply with quote
sacchan wrote:
Crystal Kay (she's half-Japanese, I think)
Hirai Ken (he's half-Japanese, too, and his English may not be as fluent as others, but you can't tell by listening to his songs)

Crystal Kay's half Korean.

Hirai Ken has said repeatedly that he's full Japanese.
sacchan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Hirai Ken has said repeatedly that he's full Japanese.

Yep, he used to say that when he first came out, but recently he admitted during a music program that his dad (I think) is from the Middle East or something. I don't remember all that clearly, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2