• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club: Texhnolyze.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Why can't I seem to comment on these things earlier? So far, I've made it through episodes 11-12, and I particularly liked this group. Really, they're some of my favorite episodes for the while. Can't wait to move on to 13 (but that'll have to wait till after class).

The best part about these two episodes is mostly just the fact that they were a break from all the tension-filled episodes earlier, and even then it feels like everything is starting to build up into something bigger for later on. But still these episodes were really laid-back in a way. That lame fish-faced Mizuno guy is hilarious because he's so... lame. And stupid. I thought it was great how both of the groups he spoke to were all like whatever.

HellKorn wrote:
Kohakura and Onishi as so shiny!

Ew.

Another reason I loved these episodes was the focus on Ichise's and Ran's character development. Ichise is now part of the Organo, mostly working with Toyama, which gave us a lot of room to learn about both characters. Just the fact that Ichise is working for Onishi now is somewhat ironic considering what happened at the very beginning of the series. But it's cool; I like both characters and think they should team up anyway, especially after seeing what happened at the end of episode 10. Anyway, glad to see that Ichise's making an effort to change himself and work with people.

As for Ran, she gets more enigmatic for me. I can understand that she doesn't want to see into the future anymore, but it just seems like ever since she met Ichise that this has started to happen. Now I really wonder what she's seen. It was awesome how the others from Gabe were introduced. They completely blend in, and seeing those masks laying around gave you a really "protective community" feeling.

Lastly... finally glad we get to hear some more about Ichise's father. It was good to know in the end that he was innocent and was framed by some other workers. Kinda cool how at the end there Ichise went all "oh no you didn't" on these guys.

HellKorn wrote:
Would anybody like to encounter this in a dark alley? Any takers? No?

Yes! =D

Oh yeah, and this:

Episodes 14-16: "Rejection," "Shapes," & "Strain."

And this is for the week of October 7th through the 13th. I'll have the entire rest of the week off (FALL BREAK, YO!) after Wednesday, so yeah. Time to get myself caught up here. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch this episode set on Thursday night after class. Looking forward to 'em.

Also, while episode 16 is relatively straightforward, there are a lot of important details to pick up on in episodes 14 and 15; make sure to pay close attention.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Another reason I loved these episodes was the focus on Ichise's and Ran's character development. Ichise is now part of the Organo, mostly working with Toyama, which gave us a lot of room to learn about both characters. Just the fact that Ichise is working for Onishi now is somewhat ironic considering what happened at the very beginning of the series.

Considering that Ichise has, throughout his most of his life, been able to depend on no one, this experience is certainly different than what he's used to.

Quote:
As for Ran, she gets more enigmatic for me.

The theory that halfadeckshort talked about previously actually deals with her. I'll let him give it when we reach the end, but it really clarifies some actions in the first half of the series and their implications in the second half.

Quote:
Now I really wonder what she's seen.

Watch episode 13!
Seano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I saw many anime but Texhnolyze I like most of all. Firstly, there are a few subs, so I don`t need to read, read. It`s wonderful! Smile
When I watch all moments with Run I feel compassion to her life and her "talent". She is very, very unhappy. But in this world all people are unhappy.
Texhnolyze have amazed me most of all. This anime is extremely depressive. It forces to stop and reflect. About everything. And first of all about the one who we such, as well as what for we live (all those questions which so excite us:)) All characters anime aren`t trite also are ambiguous. To everyone it is hard also any gets to improbably difficult situations. But it is the most difficult, certainly, Run. To she with her gift (at such age!) it is necessary very hard. It the centre of all anime, in my opinion. Thanks to it and its abilities the world of Texhnolyze still somehow can exist.

Sorry, but my English is very bad and I can`t explain successly what I mean.
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
This batch of episodes stays rather straightforward, I will just sum it up and post some ideas afterwards.

Episode 14: Rejection

-Doc is having a conversation over the phone with somebody. She talks about a "report". More on that later.

-In the next few scenes, someone in a white cloak is killing some higher-ups of the Organo.

-Doc sees that there are people picking up "Texhnolyze junk" from corpses. After money exchange, one of the guys tells her the Class is buying them.

-In a store, Doc gets to know that there is no Raffia sold illegally anymore. Bad times coming up, I guess.

-Onishi sends Ichise to Doc because of his hand (He blocked the bullet aimed at Onishi, remember.). Doc somehow "stuns" Ichise, has sex with him and then proceeds to go back to the Class.
Her god complex is made even more obvious when she claims to decide the fate of the city.

-Although she has made the perfect Texhnolyzation and wants to bring the Class this data, they try to kill her. The data is destroyed, while Doc and Ichise manage to escape. Doc, however, is desperate to get back to the Class and wants to be acknowledged by them.

-While they are resting in some ruins, Ichise asks Doc whether she could teach him so he will understand and not become the destroyer of everything. When they are ambushed in the ruins, Ichise kills all attackers.

-The episode ends with Doc and Ichise in her destroyed laboratory.
(The fish lives, though)

Episode 15: Shapes

-At an Organo funeral, someone is shot by an obviously crazy guy. He belongs to Tsujinaka (an Organo higher-up), but had been missing for several days.

-It is made clear that people go missing from the Organo, the Class and the Rakan. Also, it is mentioned they were seen with a "Ghost", a guy in white clothing.

-Shinji meets Onishi's secretary in a bar and tries to seduce her. It doesn't work, and when they part, she says that he wants to be like Onishi, but can't, because Onishi can hear the voice of the city. Yoko, the girl hanging around with Shinji and Haru, is envious.
Later on, Yoko behaves strangely, and Haru sees the Ghost.

-A dragonfly can be seen. I still wonder what that might mean

-Ichise, Kohagura and Sonoda, who were sent to see the Godfather, are ambushed by Tsujinaka's men. Toyama, who has teamed up with Tsujinaka, watches.
Kohagura appears to be a traitor and kills Sonoda, while Ichise is killing the attackers. Ichise does see Kohagura as he kills Sonoda, though. Kohagura and Toyama then tell Ichise that these are the ways of the Organo, and tell him he has to make a choice. He then takes a sword from Toyama, and kills Tsujinaka later on.

-The Ghost visits Onishi. However, Onishi is paralyzed, so he can't do anything but speak. The Ghost - we have seen his legs before in the series - tells Onishi that he can't do anything to prevent what will happen. The Ghost wants to change, to form the city like an artist. What this means will be painfully obvious in the next episode.

-Another dragonfly.

-Haru and some other people quit the Rakan. Shinji seems to resign.

Episode 16: Strain
Lots of things happen here, but fortunately, it is rather easy to comprehend.

-The old guy who told us the story of the eyes is shot. It is made clear that he knows of his death before he dies and still accepts it.

-In the next scene, the Elder of Gabe talks to his people. His (Grand?) son doesn't want to accept the prophecies of Ran as "destiny". He wants to change the future and not become as stoic and apathic as the elder people of Gabe. He says that if their are no prophecies, they are free to do what they want.
Ran, again, sees something which shocks her.

-Onishi confronts Doc, who has locked herself up in the destroyed lab. She says that the "Ghost" is of a very high standing in the Class, and has the power and will to take control over the city.
It seems as if even the above world is somehow involved.

-The Rakan is shown. There are only 20 men left.

-The Alliance, too, is slowly dissolving. The guy who was always doing the speeches leaves with a lot of men.

-Ichise is guarding the Godfather in the hospital. Weird things that look like Combine soldiers attack and kill all of the Organo members. Ichise manages to fight and kill them, and tries to escape with the Godfather.

-Meanwhile, the Organo, too, is dissolved. Kohagura claims that another party has made him the speaksman between them and Lux. Onishi and another guy decide to leave.

-When Ichise is in a situation where he can't escape, Onishi appears and rescues him and the Godfather.

-A speech of the new ruler of the city is shown, where he says that there are new citizens, the "Shapes", who will lead the way to a better future and so on. Those Shapes are, of course, those who look like Combine.

-I'm not sure where in the episode this happens, but some guy of the Class is shown talking to a doll-like body without head. He says that his followers have to understand with their bodies. Which most likely means they have to become Shapes.

-The episode ends with Ichise, Onishi and the other ex-Organo confronted by a group of Shapes.

Some Ideas

Raffia and the voice of the city

In episode 12, we learn that Raffia is a leftover product of dead bodies. I guess it is kind of ironic that people have dead people in their new limbs. However, Raffia does not appear to be fossil, like gasoline, since Ichise's mother is in his texhnolyzed arm and legs.
In episode 13, Onishi says he can hear the voice of the city after he had his texhnolyzed legs. The windows of his room face the obelisk. Obviously, there must be a connection between the Raffia and the voice of the city. Are the dead people forming a collective mind/will/voice?
That might also give an explanation as to why Onishi can't hear the voice anymore - the Raffia is running out, so the collective can't be formed anymore.
And did Onishi sell his legs to the guy who is now the Ghost?

The Ghost

The mysterious Ghost clearly has some powers and motives that aren't clearly explained yet. His decadence and strangeness is expressed with his chicken-like legs, and his "companions": A doll-like body without head and a person with two heads.
He collects (I assume it is him) junk texhnolyze and not even Doc can see a reason behind that.
He was able to paralyze Onishi, and I think his speech was delivered somehow "through" the Texhnolyze as well.
His way of "forming" the city and their people is also rather perverted.

The Dragonfly

I still don't get a meaning out of it. Maybe I'm missing out something. Here are the occasions where I can remember seeing one:
-Ran talking to the guy who gets shot in episode 16
-Ran lying unconsciously at the house of the guy who tells Ichise about his father
-Before the ambush on Ichise, Sonoda and Kohagura
-After the Ghost talked with Onishi

Ichise and his change

Essentially not much to say here. He doesn't want to accept his "destiny" and hopes he can avoid destruction through "enlightenment" in some kind of way. He does still tag along like a dog, though.
The appearance of the Shapes does change something about the prophecy, though. If all citizens are Shapes, and he destroys all of them - it's different from killing the Organo, Alliance and Rakan guys.

Sex and the City

Sorry for the wordplay.
Whatever, Sex is displayed a lot in episodes 11-14, and, as could be seen in episode 1 already, it is very disconnected from love. It even is extremely disconnected from any moral views.
It becomes most obvious with the people who actually look good.
Toyama was sexually abused by his father in the past. While this is bad enough, the guy who got him out of there, Kohagura, also has a sexual relationship with him. This is not "forced", though, since Toyama (seemingly?) has absolute loyalty towards Kohagura.
Toyama does not refrain from using his body to get information.
I think there were homosexual vibes at least on one other occasion. The Organo being a very patriarchal organization, where almost no women can be found, homosexuality is probably "normal", while being silenced.
Doc, on the other hand, is living a rather secluded life. In her home, she feels safe, and lives in the illusion of being in control. This is why she can have sex with Ichise as much as she wants.
When she goes into the city, though, she is not in control, but still lives in such an illusion. When the shopkeeper in episode 14 makes sexual advances on her, her composure cracks and she freaks out (more or less). The need for seclusion is also expressed when she stays in her destroyed laboratory.
I wonder what will happen to her now - she seems to have resigned, but will there be a comeback?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Don't have too much to add other than what Labbes covers and my replies to him. A few things to keep in mind, though:

Episode 14

- Doc informs Ichise that his texhnolyzed limbs are now completely infused with his body. Later, when driving to the entrance to the Class, she also tells him texhnolyze is not intended for violence of any sort -- hence her desire to take Ichise away from the city.

- Sakimura is still maintaing his job as a train conductor. He is told to deliver the shipment to the Class and ask no questions. (I also like the visual here: a switch in the track, leading to separate paths. A switch appears in episode seven, as well.)

- Doc drives into the same tunnel that Yoshii sees her drive out of in episode six. There she demands Kano to open up in order to showcase Ichise and her data. Kano has other plans and sends out a floating orb to attack Doc; Ichise is able to save her and escape. (I point this out because this type of destructive technology shows up again in episode 16, with the Shapes' weaponry. What the members of the Class lack in physical strength they make up for in resources.)

- Also note the headless, pregnant statue. It's something lost in the translation for a later episode, but it's important.

Episode 15

- Shit starts to hit the fan again as the seeds of betrayal begin to bloom in the Organo. (Ugh, have the volume summary in the back of my head...) I also really like how it cross-cuts with Kano disabling Onishi.

- Hal says "10th street" here -- I find it interesting that numbers are spoken. Consistently throughout this series we've been given no visible numerical system, and we've only had a few spoken allusions to it. All of the letters and characters we've been shown so far are jibberish, or else are somewhat clear but eventually become obscured when strung together to make a word. Again, important to remember.

- Kano's meeting with Onishi is crucial here. Primarily because it allows Kano to deconstruct Onishi's ideals and the purport his own (which I'll talk briefly about below), but also because of an important visual clue: the difference in vision. When we are shown Onishi's perspective, it is the filtered view that all other texhnolyzed people have; however, when we're shown Kano's, we see a clearer, blue screen.

- Kano knows the structure of the Organo and Onishi's ideology quite well. He understands why Onishi tries to pacify the city, but that action is counter to what the Organo -- and by extension, Lux -- represent. Onishi is trying to keep control in that which is chaotic, rendering such efforts futile. Kano believes that they should embrace this egotism; it is the right for the citizens to move forward, uninhibited, in order to satiate this ego and become aesthetically beautiful. He states that he promotes this freedom, and that very soon Onishi will discover what Kano aims to create.

- Hal and numerous other Rakan members leave, as there's nothing left for them. He tells Shinji that just as it was their free will to join the Rakan, so it is for them to leave it.

- My God, Ichise yellow-polka-dot tie is ugly as fudge... So... what do you all think of Ichise's haircut?

Episode 16

- There's a split in Gabe between strictly following the words of the Seer and actually forging forward on their own. Ran has been silent for some time now, and without her relaying her visions, they are unable to do anything.

- Kimata's hold on the Salvation Union is breaking. His secrecy of his texhnolyzed arm provides enough incentive for the otherwise strong brotherhood to fall apart. His assistance is leaving for Kano and taking 60 men with him.

- Doc informs Onishi that "what has always been there has finally shown itself," and that she has only perpetuated it -- specifically, Kano's goals. Onishi remarks that he feels like he met him before, though Doc laughs at the notion: only a privileged few are allowed to meet with someone of Kano's standing within the Class. (She also states that Kano used to be considered a heretic in the Class for his ideals. See my response to Labbes' thoughts on Kano below.)

- Goto is probably the most inherently likable character in the show -- he's one of my favorites, anyhow. He tells Ichise to not believe in and succumb to the Seer's words. Merely accepting that supposed fate and/or not doing anything won't gain him anything in the end.

- The Organo is resolved by Kohakura, and only one aide stays with Onishi. After the latter arrives with the remnants of the Organo to save Goto and Ichise, the Grandfather tells him to just accept the organization dissolution. Just after Goto boards the train to go back to Gabe, Kano gives his announcement.

- Kano refers to the city's 100 year history years of violence. Aside from Onishi's remarks in episode ten about Yoshii's intervention reminding him of what took place ten years ago, this is the only time when we're given a precise (if general) time frame to give an idea of Lux's developments.

Labbes wrote:
Doc somehow "stuns" Ichise, has sex with him and then proceeds to go back to the Class.

Doc's control over Ichise's texhnolyzed limbs are something to keep in mind for later.

Quote:
Although she has made the perfect Texhnolyzation...

Doc specifically refers to Ichise as being "the most evolved human." What is it about Ichise's texhnolyze that separates him from everyone else in Lux?

Quote:
The episode ends with Doc and Ichise in her destroyed laboratory.
(The fish lives, though)

Just want to mention that Doc comes across as more human here: her belief that texhnolyze should not be used for violence; letting the rat go; and her words to Ichise come across as more intimate than they have been.

Quote:
It is made clear that people go missing from the Organo, the Class and the Rakan. Also, it is mentioned they were seen with a "Ghost", a guy in white clothing.

I don't know if the proper translation is "ghost," but it's an interesting term to use here, nonetheless. Bit of foreshadowing for the next episode set.

Quote:
The old guy who told us the story of the eyes is shot.

Actually, I don't think that he is the one who told the story of the eyes. He doesn't have the same voice, and his apparent health certainly wouldn't permit him to do that job.

Think I was mistaken on that because of a website I was cross-checking with; it's generally reliable, but has a number of mistakes on it...

Quote:
Onishi confronts Doc, who has locked herself up in the destroyed lab. She says that the "Ghost" is of a very high standing in the Class, and has the power and will to take control over the city.

Hm. Can you clarify that last statement? Don't quite remember her mentioning that...

Quote:
I'm not sure where in the episode this happens, but some guy of the Class is shown talking to a doll-like body without head. He says that his followers have to understand with their bodies. Which most likely means they have to become Shapes.

That's actually Kano; it's the first time we get an unobstructed view of him.

It's also important to note his servant's head covering: the young man's eyes are apparently damaged/useless.

Quote:
In episode 12, we learn that Raffia is a leftover product of dead bodies. I guess it is kind of ironic that people have dead people in their new limbs.

Symbolically, it also rings true of a lot of technology achievements: we make industrial progress based on the toil, suffering and deaths of others. Those in Lux are able to have working limbs because of those deaths; yet they aren't mere substitutes, but actually a part of them. More on that in the final stretch of episodes...

Quote:
And did Onishi sell his legs to the guy who is now the Ghost?

Yep. Not many other characters in this show have blue hair.

That particular incident that Onishi recalls is also a large hint behind Kano's motivations and designs. I'll let you figure out for yourself what it might be (for now, at least; I'll have to state why when I talk about the series as a whole), but also consider two important remarks made by Yoshii in the first half of the series: the denizens of Lux are losing their ability to recover, and that the members of the Class are nothing more than weak invalids. (There's also some other hints, but they won't fit without context given later.)

Quote:
... a person with two heads.

That's a mannequin... though he keeps referring to it as his sister. Can't say anything more for now.

Quote:
The Dragonfly

I still don't get a meaning out of it.

Dragonflies can mean different things, three of which are: birth, death and enlightenment. (For this episode set, I suspect death; we see one land right after Ichise kills Tsujinaka.)

Quote:
Here are the occasions where I can remember seeing one:
-Ran talking to the guy who gets shot in episode 16
-Ran lying unconsciously at the house of the guy who tells Ichise about his father
-Before the ambush on Ichise, Sonoda and Kohagura
-After the Ghost talked with Onishi

Ran also sees one with Kugarayama in episode 11 as she remarks that "nothing ever changes," with images of Sakimura and Yoshii appearing in her mind. Perhaps a harbinger of what's to come?

Quote:
He doesn't want to accept his "destiny" and hopes he can avoid destruction through "enlightenment" in some kind of way. He does still tag along like a dog, though.

Ichise has clearly come a long way, though -- could you imagine the same character in episode one saving Doc, cooperating with Kohakura and protecting Goto (via piggyback!)? He's even begun to question just what he wants to do -- what he wants out of life (like Seano mentions in his post). He wants to learn more from Doc, and takes advice from Onishi. (Even if that advice brings him the most ugly tie imaginable.)

Quote:
The appearance of the Shapes does change something about the prophecy, though. If all citizens are Shapes, and he destroys all of them - it's different from killing the Organo, Alliance and Rakan guys.

I won't say much here, but I wouldn't be ready to fully buy into the fate that Ran describes for Ichise. Her infallibility is cut right in episode one. She is, after all, only human; she can only provide her own subjective viewpoint upon events which may or may not transpire.

Quote:
I think there were homosexual vibes at least on one other occasion.

You thinking of the scene where Kohakura joins Sonada in that giant bath?

Quote:
When she goes into the city, though, she is not in control, but still lives in such an illusion. When the shopkeeper in episode 14 makes sexual advances on her, her composure cracks and she freaks out (more or less). The need for seclusion is also expressed when she stays in her destroyed laboratory.

Also probably the motivation that causes her to have Ichise reigned in for episode 14.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
- Hal and numerous other Rakan members leave, as there's nothing left for them. He tells Shinji that just as it was their free will to join the Rakan, so it is for them to leave it.

- My God, Ichise yellow-polka-dot tie is ugly as fudge... So... what do you all think of Ichise's haircut?

However, I don't think the exact reason for Hal leaving is that there's nothing left. More later.

And I agree on that tie. It was pretty horrible, and it made Ichise look even more out-of-place.
His new hair screams PIMP to me Smile Maybe he's so Organo now he wants to get some chicks Wink

Quote:
- Kimata's hold on the Salvation Union is breaking. His secrecy of his texhnolyzed arm provides enough incentive for the otherwise strong brotherhood to fall apart. His assistance is leaving for Kano and taking 60 men with him.

- Doc informs Onishi that "what has always been there has finally shown itself," and that she has only perpetuated it -- specifically, Kano's goals.

As I said above, I don't agree with you on the reasons for all those treasons. I understood that "shown itself" part totally different: I think it describes the feelings of the people. Those feelings were always there, and I think they slowly got stronger. However, Kano somehow accelerated this process, resulting in all those people doing what they "really wanted to".
I think that it would be reaaally fishy if all those people changed their opinions so quickly.

Quote:
- Goto is probably the most inherently likable character in the show -- he's one of my favorites, anyhow. He tells Ichise to not believe in and succumb to the Seer's words. Merely accepting that supposed fate and/or not doing anything won't gain him anything in the end.

I like Goto very much, too. He is very sincere (for an Organo member) and "wise", but can still wield a gun. Also, he chose to defend himself rather than running away - in this situation, a very brave thing to do.

Quote:
Quote:
Onishi confronts Doc, who has locked herself up in the destroyed lab. She says that the "Ghost" is of a very high standing in the Class, and has the power and will to take control over the city.

Hm. Can you clarify that last statement? Don't quite remember her mentioning that...

I'm afraid I can't right now. I did write "Above world involved?" under the things from that scene, but I can't remember why. Maybe I will rewatch the episode tomorrow so I can be more specific.

Quote:
It's also important to note his servant's head covering: the young man's eyes are apparently damaged/useless.

The shapes, too, have only one eye, and I don't think it's very probable that it's their biologically "own" one.

Quote:
Quote:

I won't say much here, but I wouldn't be ready to fully buy into the fate that Ran describes for Ichise. Her infallibility is cut right in episode one. She is, after all, only human; she can only provide her own subjective viewpoint upon events which may or may not transpire.

I also wonder: The Gabe people know their destinies and don't act "against" them - what would happen if someone did?
And what if Ran lied to Ichise to prevent the future from happening?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
However, I don't think the exact reason for Hal leaving is that there's nothing left. More later.

[...]

As I said above, I don't agree with you on the reasons for all those treasons. I understood that "shown itself" part totally different: I think it describes the feelings of the people. Those feelings were always there, and I think they slowly got stronger. However, Kano somehow accelerated this process, resulting in all those people doing what they "really wanted to".
I think that it would be reaaally fishy if all those people changed their opinions so quickly.

Oh, I agree. I'm simply summing up what is said within the show, for the most part. I occasionally add in my commentary, but I'd much rather other folks formulate their own thoughts before do that.

Quote:
I like Goto very much, too. He is very sincere (for an Organo member) and "wise", but can still wield a gun. Also, he chose to defend himself rather than running away - in this situation, a very brave thing to do.

Onishi is quite direct, as well. It's a nice subversion of the leaders of gangs/corporations actually being honest.

Quote:
The shapes, too, have only one eye, and I don't think it's very probable that it's their biologically "own" one.

True, though that's something separate. The damaged eyes of the Class servant are interesting for other reasons...

I'll also talk more about the Shapes in the next episode set. Their design is lifted right out of an entity in Buddhism, after all (see if you can find which one).

Quote:
I also wonder: The Gabe people know their destinies and don't act "against" them - what would happen if someone did?

Perhaps we're shown their fates during this episode set? They've apparently been killed off, though it's not made clear whether out of resignation or as a consequence of verbal rebellion against Gabe's fatalistic ideals.

Quote:
And what if Ran lied to Ichise to prevent the future from happening?

Mm. Honesty seems to be a part of Ran's character, though: she either tells you what is going to happen, or keeps her visions to herself.

Like I mentioned in my last post, what needs to be considered is perspective: Ran's vision are given and interpreted through a subjective filter. I can't explain until the series is over, but there's a specific emphasis placed on each factions' and characters' shortcomings -- what might be Ran's?
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
- My God, Ichise's yellow-polka-dot tie is ugly as fudge...

I'm compiling evidence that suggests that the tie was a gift to Onishi from Mana, a sort of female-repellant to keep Hirota away. Before you dismiss this idea out of hand, consider the fact that it was Hirota who ransacked Onishi's tie collection and bestowed it upon Ichise, thereby removing the unsightly obstacle from her path.

Of course, I guess that Onishi could have purchased it to serve as a test of honesty for his subordinates:

Onishi - "Nice tie, isn't it?"

Subordinate A - "It's magnificent, sir."

Onishi (making notes, muttering to self) - "Right, Subordinate A, not to be trusted."

Okay, so I don't have much to add this time around as HellKorn and Labbes pretty much covered it. One thing I did want to underline though were the interactions between Doc and Ichise, specifically their conversation on the way to the Class fortress, where Doc gets jealous because Ichise is thinking about Onishi (and not her); and the scene in the lab where Ichise brings Doc a glass of wine and encourages her to look at the bright side of things. Though they aren't earthshaking plot developments, they are important markers for the progress that Ichise has made thus far (another example is his request that Doc teach him the things he doesn't know, as Labbes pointed out). Of course, he does get docked points for accepting the tie in the next episode, but....
Ardlien

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
I started late and finished early, do I get a prize?

A few things I'm thinking about:

-Yoshii's comment about healing ability deteriorating, can that be applied to more than physical wounds?

-"Soul! Body! Truth! Salvation! Vengeance!" is an interesting mantra, but vengeance seems out of place to me. What is the significance of the innate desire for violence in this city? What/who is the union seeking revenge for/against?

-Breathing, or at least heavy breathing seems to be a pretty big symbol for the will to live. Who besides Ichise breaths like he does? As Ichise starts to talk more, is he louder or quieter? (I think the breathing was actually louder). What happens to his breathing during his more violent episodes?

As for my feelings about the show, I found the first episode a little deterring (I watched it months and months ago and only started again this week) but the following episodes were far more accessible. As for the late parts of the series spoiler[I had a bit more trouble accepting the plot points. The characters, especially Ichise, really held it together and I think that's why the way the series ended was satisfying.] Having watched through it and been entertained I think watching it again will allow me to pick up on the symbolism a little easier.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ardlien wrote:
-Yoshii's comment about healing ability deteriorating, can that be applied to more than physical wounds?

What do you mean?

Quote:
-"Soul! Body! Truth! Salvation! Vengeance!" is an interesting mantra, but vengeance seems out of place to me. What is the significance of the innate desire for violence in this city? What/who is the union seeking revenge for/against?

The "Vengeance!" portion strikes me as retaliation against what texhnolyze stands for. It is a technology generally reserved for the privileged -- for the cost of not just obtaining it, but maintaining it, as well. Kimata has a very good reason for despising texhnolyzation, as will be shown in the next episode set.

Quote:
What happens to [Ichise's] breathing during his more violent episodes?

The first example that comes to mind is at the end of episode 12, when Ichise kills the men who framed his father. His breathing is very heavy and bestial.

Quote:
As for the late parts of the series spoiler[I had a bit more trouble accepting the plot points. The characters, especially Ichise, really held it together and I think that's why the way the series ended was satisfying.]

(No spoilers to speak of.) spoiler[I guess we'll have to wait until we come to the episodes to see what plot points you're referring to. But pretty much all of the major events in the second half of the series are subtlety foreshadowed in the first half -- though, that only becomes apparent upon close scrutiny during repeated viewings.]

Also wondering when AG might come back...
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm caught up through 15. Some nice symbols in this episode...Ichise holding his shirt up around his throat, accepting the tie or "collar" as I like to see it, since he is no longer a stray dog. He is continually compared to a dog in the most vicious, feral sense. Tomoya tells him in this episode that he will be held on a leash.

One scene that was particularly compelling was spoiler[Haru, trapped in a cage, watching Yuko commit suicide in his mind].

What strikes me as odd everytime I see it are men in business suits using swords to kill people. I'm trying to think of what it might say about them. It's actually a braver way to kill people, since it is much easier psychologically to pull the trigger than it is to gut people.

Is it just me, or does everyone want to be like Oonishi? Not only Shinji, but now Ichise looks like him.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Aha~ I'm still alive!

Sorry, guys, for the a-little-over-a-month-long hiatus. Schoolwork came a-callin' and I needed a break from anime anyway. (Perhaps I should've left HK in charge of the thread?) Anywho, I never once had any plans of giving up on this discussion, so here's the thread revival. Hopefully you guys are still hanging around waiting to finish.

I actually finished the series the week we were supposed to finish volume four, but of course I'd like to discuss all of the parts I'm still confused about. Texhnolyze has been great, and it's now one of my Top 10.

So without further ado...

Episodes 17-19: "Dependence," "Throne," & "Heavenward."

For the week of November 25 through December 1, we'll be finishing up volume five. Of course for me, the rest of the day will involve one last class, then packing and driving home, so as usual I'll be a day behind in the discussion. At least this gives everyone a chance to get ready since it's been a while.

Again, apologies to all. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Aha~ I'm still alive!

Sorry, guys, for the a-little-over-a-month-long hiatus. Schoolwork came a-callin' and I needed a break from anime anyway. (Perhaps I should've left HK in charge of the thread?) Anywho, I never once had any plans of giving up on this discussion, so here's the thread revival. Hopefully you guys are still hanging around waiting to finish.

I actually finished the series the week we were supposed to finish volume four, but of course I'd like to discuss all of the parts I'm still confused about. Texhnolyze has been great, and it's now one of my Top 10.

So without further ado...

Episodes 17-19: "Dependence," "Throne," & "Heavenward."

For the week of November 25 through December 1, we'll be finishing up volume five. Of course for me, the rest of the day will involve one last class, then packing and driving home, so as usual I'll be a day behind in the discussion. At least this gives everyone a chance to get ready since it's been a while.

Again, apologies to all. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, and you were not ill or anything.

Seems I am the only one who still has not finished the show - and I am very eager to do so! BELIEVE IT! Smile
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
(Perhaps I should've left HK in charge of the thread?)

Leaving the Texhnolyze thread in the hands of the show's biggest fan on ANN? Too risky!

Glad that you got around to your planned revival date, though. Leaves me in a bit a rut -- have the first Gurren Lagann set to watch, along with catching up with the most recent Wolf's Rain episode set -- but I'll have time to get around to them all over the next few days.

Hope that everyone else previously keeping up with the discussion is game for more, too.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Seems I am the only one who still has not finished the show - and I am very eager to do so! BELIEVE IT! Smile

Not I! Anime hyper

Good to hear you were finally able to revive this thread AG! Anime smile Now I can finally finish this series! Still not entirely sure how much I'll participate in the actual discussion though, but I guess we'll see what I feel like after I watch the episodes. Should have a great opportunity to watch them tonight though along with a Gurren Lagann marathon, so I should be ready to discuss it very soon (probably by at the very soonest Friday, since we all know what tomorrow is Wink ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10