• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
I agree with what some people said above me: Season one is an okay show, but I don't really understand where the hype comes from. I seemed messy and uneven most of the time; it felt like too much happened, a lot of which didn't feel necessary or important. It didn't think it was bad by any means, though. It was fun sure, but not much more. The last few episodes, however, were pretty great.

I've heard bad things about R2, but based on one episode, it doesn't seem too bad. It was kinda "WTF?" inducing, though (Rolo????). It was like watching the alternate universe scene from Evangelion or something. When you end a season on a cliffhanger, I think you should start the next season there, or at the very least devote some more time to how that scenario ended. The storyline with Lelouch not remembering being Zero reminded me a bit of spoiler[Death Note], except in that series it was built up for a while, and we came to understand the reasons for it. In R2 it just seems tacked on, and if it's a plot line you're gonna resolve in the very first episode, why bother having it at all??
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
In R2 it just seems tacked on, and if it's a plot line you're gonna resolve in the very first episode, why bother having it at all??

Like we said, the first few episodes of R2 mirrored the first few episodes of season one, just to bring in new fans. Since Lelouch in the pilot of season one had no idea about Geass or whom C2 is, or about Zero, they had to come up with a way to make him have no knowledge of these things in the pilot of season two. Hence this business about memory loss.

It makes sense, in a sick corporate-greed kind of way.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 of R2 is out!

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951d8bc25a011d96dc181b004b

And if you had any lingering questions before, this episode answers A LOT! Surprised

spoiler[- Suzaku has become the ultimate bastard by selling out Lelouch in order to become one of the Knights of the Round.

- The Emperor has Geass, and he was the one who altered Lelouch's memories!

- Some moments once again is analogous with Season 1's episode 2 along with an introduction of an "uberhax" Knightmare, Vincent, which is similar to the Lancelot. This one seemed to have the ability to "teleport".

- Still Zero was able to succeed in his plan to collapse the tower, make their escape route to Chinese Federation territory, and killing the viceroy who orchestrated this.

- And thus comes the miraculous revival debut of Zero! GOd, that was so fu**ing sweet!

- Episode ended revealing that Rolo is the pilot of the Vincent, and he has Geass as well! Shocked ]
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
That was actually a really good episode, but the reveal about the emperor was done so badly. The scene was shown essentially as part of a recap. It would have been much more satisfying to have seen that play out for real instead of Lelouch saying "oh yeah, that happened, but you weren't there to see it, oh faithful viewer!"
Other than that it was exciting, especially Zero's return at the end.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that episode was just full of crazy bobbing and weaving. I kinda suspect maybe the gold Knightmare's advantage was spoiler[Rollo's Geass], not the suit's power. Also, was I right in thinking that I saw a red ring around spoiler[the Chinese ambasador's eyes]?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Yeah, that episode was just full of crazy bobbing and weaving. I kinda suspect maybe the gold Knightmare's advantage was spoiler[Rollo's Geass], not the suit's power. Also, was I right in thinking that I saw a red ring around spoiler[the Chinese ambasador's eyes]?

Yep on both accounts. The Vincent was spoiler[just a prototype of a mass-produced Lancelot-derived machine, and it carries no special weapons or systems outside of the needle blazers.] As for the Chinese Envoy, he is spoiler[definitely under the influence of Geass.]
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
As for the Chinese Envoy, he is spoiler[definitely under the influence of Geass.]

Not asking for spoilers...just giving my thought on it: For some reason because of his voice, the fact that he was Chinese, and his eyes, he kinda reminded of spoiler[Mao].
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3, and hey this is the episode that was reported to be leaked a couple months back! Man, those were good times! Very Happy

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951daaa7c7011dbc5abbfa0140

spoiler[- Once again the one who's in Zero's outfit was C.C. Throughout the episode, Lelouch needed to create a believable scenario that he didn't regain is memories. And at the same time, he attempted to crack open Villetta's group that's been spying on him. Using the "date" with Shirley as a cover, he succeeded and got Rollo in a gunpoint.

BUT WAIT, few seconds later Lelouch lost the gun, and now he's at Rollo's mercy! Does Rollo's Geass have the ability to stop time?! Surprised]

Ahhh, I'm still having fun with this series!
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

spoiler[
BUT WAIT, few seconds later Lelouch lost the gun, and now he's at Rollo's mercy! Does Rollo's Geass have the ability to stop time?! Surprised]

Unlikely, given that spoiler[the Geasses we've seen thus far are restricted to affecting peoples' minds. More likely Rollo just freezes them in their tracks while he does some stuff.]

BTW- I don't know who, but someone on the R2 team has a serious jones for Kallen. I mean, really- the bunny suit is enough, but then throughout the first two episodes nearly every single shot of her had her bountiful bust or hips prominently displayed for the camera, and now we have her roaming the halls in a towel on the slimmest of excuses. Did her agent insist on her sharing the role of fanservice girl with C2 or something? And why is said agent not fired yet?
freezespell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

spoiler[

Unlikely, given that spoiler[the Geasses we've seen thus far are restricted to affecting peoples' minds. More likely Rollo just freezes them in their tracks while he does some stuff.]

I guess now would be a good time to break down all the Geasses we've seen so far in the series.

Lelouch's Geass spoiler[seems to be the standard form of Geass. Nothing special except he can make people do anything he wants them to do and over time, it becomes impossible to control without some form of special eyewear. Of course, he can only use his Geass on a particular person only once.]

Mao spoiler[could go into anyone's subconscious and find out their innermost thoughts and could read everybody's minds with his Geass. And I do mean everyone. Wink ]

Rolo's variety mentioned abovespoiler[ pretty much gives him the ability to stop anyone in his tracks which means his Geass is the reason why the Vincent seems to be a godlike version of the Lancelot. I guess he also has the same ability that Lelouch has with it as well seeing what happened at the beginning of the episode] On an unrelated note, spoiler[I think he had something to do with Nunnally's disappearance.]

The Emperor spoiler[probably has the most powerful form of Geass since his ability is in BOTH eyes and he's the main villian of the series. Other than using it to make people do what he wants, I can't say what the abilities and limitations of his Geass are since I don't really know too much about it yet, but I think it's safe to say that the "once per person" rule may or may not apply to him.]

If I missed anything, let me know.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
I think Rollo's spoiler[geass might actually be time stopping, but if it's just mental, then he can at least do it without needing eye contact, which is well above Lelouche's. Either way though, it seems to have a "sphere of influence" to it, it was expanding outwards from him, so presumably you could take him down by sniping him from afar or something. Likewise anyone out of his range continues to move around at will, while everything inside appears frozen.]
Nepplar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
this anime is so freakn awesome. best ending EVAR!!!!!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4!!!

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951dce8f83011dd469469000ad

Good job on some of you on deducing what Rollo's Geass was (which I already knew since I did already watch the whole thing in fansubs)! Very Happy

spoiler[And, BWAHAHAHA! Oh man, Lelouch! He has created a rather complex plan that allowed him to save his comrades from execution AND get Rollo onto his side! So utterly brilliant!

Episode ends with Suzaku returning to school (though if you ask me, he got there pretty late).]
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[The recycled plan for collapsing the structure is very annoying. You would think that Britannia would have eliminated the ability for a single person - or any number of people - to collapse the structure like that. But oh no, they didn't. Also, Lelouch managed to arrange it in less than a day. It should have taken him that long just to figure out the identities of the staff that Britannia had foolishly given total access to, let alone managing to get one of them alone to Geass him. And he did all this while Geassing his way to get a uniform to trick the Glaston Knight to get out of his Knightmare, where promptly he gave him a long list of instructions. Then Lelouch had to get Rollo to be there, as well as make his way to his personal Knightmare that was stashed somewhere. I guess he was busy that day.]

Still, a great episode nonetheless. My favourite part was spoiler[Zero's speech to Guilford, although the "skateboarding" sure was fun.]
joshuafer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the guy who spoiler[ took a shot at rolo, the shot lelouch intercepted, was shirley's brother. He said something about avenging his father. ] We will see. I thought it was a pretty decent episode. Can't wait to next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 60