• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
In this post, section refers to the passage following a quote but before the next quote. Paragraph has its usual meaning.

As to "if there are separate control rooms": There are no ifs about it. There are separate control rooms. See section 2, paragraph 1. [1]

As to "safeguards should have been in place to prevent one person having that power": Even with Britannia's assumptions about how Zero was able to perform his feat during the Black Rebellion, the measure is pointless. See section 2, paragraph 2. [2] And, of course, it is completely pointless against Zero. See section 2, paragraph 3. [3]
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
RE: Episode 5.

Well played, Suzaku!
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
I laughed out loud when Milly said something along the lines of "Sometimes in life these filler incidents just happen". I don't remember the exact line, but it was hilarious given the kind of episode it was.
The ending was really good!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
You know, for some peeps who really likes their light ecchi, romantic comedy hijinks, these episodes of Code Geass are pretty much the only time you can watch them on Adult Swim considering they don't want to show anime series that are specifically that type.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
You know, for some peeps who really likes their light ecchi, romantic comedy hijinks, these episodes of Code Geass are pretty much the only time you can watch them on Adult Swim considering they don't want to show anime series that are specifically that type.

Well this is why if you're an anime fan you can't depend solely on TV to get your anime fix. Certain types of anime series are just never gonna get broadcast on TV. But back on subject, this was quite the entertaining episode, and the twist ending definitely caught me by surprise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Noone cares what you think. Go to 4chan if you want to start a fight.

*ahem*

Back on subject, this was a fun episode indeed- despite being a redo of the festival episode from R1. It was funny, and dropped references to previous developments, like that girl who apparently is STILL scratching up the school roof. The writers apparently haven't forgotten about Nina, which is good- I just hope we find out what's going on with her eventually. Last we saw her she seemed to have gone full-on Psycho Bitch.

Other developments, however, are not so promising. Yet again some ecchi guy on the animation team takes the slimmest of excuses to shove Kallen's barely-dressed ass at us. This doesn't offend me, but it is irritating- she was, and still is, a fighter and a warrior. Forcing her to do double-duty as fanservice girl undermines her character.

A much more serious problem is the Knights of the Round, who I'm inclined to call strike 2 for R2. (Strike 1 was the reboot essentially undoing the last quarter or so of R1.) First, the idea that they have custom mechs is stupid. Not illogical- they *are* highly-ranked elite warriors after all, and it does make some sense that they'd have the clout to get mechs designed specifically for their fighting style, or somesuch. What I mean is, it's *stupid*. In the first season the focus was strategic rather than tactical. There were only a few different types of mech, and the key to victory was not in their awesome abilities, but in how Zero employed them against enemy forces. Okay, there was Lancelot and Kallen's Gurren Mark 2, and then eventually the Gawain, but they were acknowledged as prototypes. Cornelia's mech was pretty standard, and Zero rode in a standard grunt's machine before getting his hands on Gawain. But now it seems like every fighting character of significance has a custom mech with awesome fighting abilities that wins battles by itself- thereby warping the entire focus of the series away from military strategy and maneuvering and towards stock-standard giant robot fights. The Knights themselves don't help, either- in a world full of realistic if occasionally bombastic characterizations, they're cheesy shonen cliches. Weak.

And the twist at the end, though certainly a big shocker, makes no sense. spoiler[ Nunnally is what- fifteen? And she's being made a viceroy? After playing the tragic sick girl for the entire series to this point? And having no political ambitions that we know of? What?! It seems like something the Emperor would decree simply to screw with Lelouche, and I can't see how Nunnally would accept. Even if they kept her in the dark about their true motives, why would she want to be a public figure? ] It all seems like a big twist thrown at us just for the sake of having a big twist.

I still enjoy this series, but it's derailed a lot from what I liked about season 1. Here's hoping it will get back on track eventually...
joshuafer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
Seems the silver haired teacher is trying to give kallen a run for the fanservice award, my vote still goes to kallen, though ! poor c2 getting mooshed with all them tomatoes, I wonder if she will ever eat pizza again ! Man they are good at the cliffhanger endings !
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

It's just an observation that you can take it or leave it. Why are you being so hostile?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

It's just an observation that you can take it or leave it. Why are you being so hostile?

Because you're trolling. You jumped into a thread with an attempt to transform it into yet another goddamn "bash Cartoon Network" thread. Not only that but you threw it into a thread in which it was completely off-topic, and which people have tried before to drag down into a whine-fest about how CN is out to destroy its anime lineup. If you want to piss and moan about how AS needs less vapid shonen fight anime and more vapid faux-romantic sitcoms, make your own damn thread, don't try and hijack ours. It pushes my buttons when swaggering peacocks try and turn discussions that amuse and interest people into the same trite anti-establishment crap that circulates in too many geek communities.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But now it seems like every fighting character of significance has a custom mech with awesome fighting abilities that wins battles by itself- thereby warping the entire focus of the series away from military strategy and maneuvering and towards stock-standard giant robot fights.

Meh, I have the feeling tactics will still play more of a role than the mechs themselves. The fact that the enemy team has so many dangerous mechs just means Zero's strategies need to be even tighter to compensate.

As for the Viceroy developments, spoiler[ever hear of nepotism? She doesn't have to be qualified, she's royalty. there have been a lot younger royals that have been put on the throne than her. She'd be more of a token ruler anyways, someone else will be doing the heavy lifting. It's worked well enough in our White House for the past eight years, right?

As for why she'd accept, why not? She has no idea what's going on outside of what they told her, I'm sure she thinks what she's doing is for the better good of the Japanese people.]

Oh, and yeah, Villetta wins the fanservice award for this ep, and really, Kallen's been fanservice since the second ep with the shower scene, so it shouldn't be any surprise that it's a featured element of the show.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Turn 5 isn't that bad, for a silly Ashford episode, especially since we still manage to get a few bits of useful information here and there. However, it is definitely one of those developments that looks worse in hindsight.

BellosTheMighty wrote:

Other developments, however, are not so promising. Yet again some ecchi guy on the animation team takes the slimmest of excuses to shove Kallen's barely-dressed ass at us. This doesn't offend me, but it is irritating- she was, and still is, a fighter and a warrior. Forcing her to do double-duty as fanservice girl undermines her character.

Fanservice has indeed increased in R2 and this episode was chock-full of it, period. If it's not the one with the highest concentration, at least it's up there in the running. Pretty much all the available girls were exploited for that purpose.

I can see why it would be a bother but personally, it's a negative that only mildly annoys me. You could say I've become rather insensitive, which is bad from a certain point of view but has the added benefit of reducing the effects of such distractions. Still, I certainly understand your reaction.

Quote:
But now it seems like every fighting character of significance has a custom mech with awesome fighting abilities that wins battles by itself- thereby warping the entire focus of the series away from military strategy and maneuvering and towards stock-standard giant robot fights.

The focus of the mecha battles themselves, you mean, since I've never thought of those as the focus of the series to begin with. That distinction aside, you do have a very good set of points there.

Quote:
The Knights themselves don't help, either- in a world full of realistic if occasionally bombastic characterizations, they're cheesy shonen cliches. Weak.

You can, unfortunately, pretty much tell they and their mecha were mostly added in as a way to appeal to the show's new prime time audience. With mixed results, as it were, since ratings remained quite low or at best mediocre but DVD/BD and presumably merchandise sales made up for it.

Quote:
And the twist at the end, though certainly a big shocker, makes no sense.

I definitely disagree here though, as there are several ways of explaining why it would happen, but for now it's probably a question best left to the next couple of episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
...and dropped references to previous developments, like that girl who apparently is STILL scratching up the school roof.

Watch that scene again; it is more important than you think.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

As for the Viceroy developments, spoiler[ever hear of nepotism? She doesn't have to be qualified, she's royalty. there have been a lot younger royals that have been put on the throne than her. She'd be more of a token ruler anyways, someone else will be doing the heavy lifting. It's worked well enough in our White House for the past eight years, right?

As for why she'd accept, why not? She has no idea what's going on outside of what they told her, I'm sure she thinks what she's doing is for the better good of the Japanese people.]

Mmmm... not sure I really buy that. spoiler[For one, child kings are almost always a disaster. There ARE notable exceptions- Alexander the Great, Augustus, Peter the Great of Russia come to mind, but in general it's a horrible idea that leads to corruption, instability, and occasionally civil wars. A ruler has to have a firm hand and an iron will. Euphie did, at least when she wasn't kowtowing to Cornelia or mooning over Suzaku, but Nunnally doesn't strike me as the type to truly take charge of a crisis. The sight of their brave leader sitting in a wheelchair looking frail and sickly isn't going to inspire the commoners with hope for the future of the monarchy.

The only thing I can figure is that they're trying to screw with Lelouche and/or the writers are looking to repeat the Euphie incident of last season somehow, with Lulu being responsible for the death of someone he cares so deeply about. Certainly that twist started this same way, a surprise announcement at the end of the school festival.]

But, I'll give them a few episodes to see how this plays out...
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Spot what is missing from this picture:

There, that is a big hint that Geass does in fact have a time limit. I wonder if that means Lelouch is able to Geass people more than once if the period between is one year or longer. Makes for some interesting possibilities, doesn't it?
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Spot what is missing from this picture:

There, that is a big hint that Geass does in fact have a time limit. I wonder if that means Lelouch is able to Geass people more than once if the period between is one year or longer. Makes for some interesting possibilities, doesn't it?

-_-;; It proves nothing. Doesn't even suggest anything concretely. Maybe the girl's going to come around tommorrow and cross that last T. Then move on to the next brick on the day after. Hell, even if there should be more marks on the wall, for all we know the girl caught a stray bullet during the Black Rebellion and is vandalizing the pearly gates instead right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 60