• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
War anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wedgeofpie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Check out Pumpkin Scissors. The focus of the story is actually post-war and the numerous difficulties faced in the aftermath of a long running conflict, but the setting is very much based on europe caught between the first and second world war.
Sarii Seiichirou Haydn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
yessss...gundam is the most awesome war anime Anime hyper!!!!!!!
i watched a war anime lyk gundam but i forgot the tittle(i always forget the tittle) lolz...
haaaha, maybe i'll write again if i remember the tittle Anime hyper
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
If you can stand the whining and angst and the whining, I guess Gundam's OK for a universe based on the very idea of war, though I could never stand Gundam in its various incarnations for reasons that would better be outlined in a discussion on Gundam. Needless to say it's not my style.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
wedgeofpie wrote:
Check out Pumpkin Scissors. The focus of the story is actually post-war and the numerous difficulties faced in the aftermath of a long running conflict, but the setting is very much based on europe caught between the first and second world war.

I personally would not recomend that to anybody because spoiler[of the fact that it just leaves you hanging and feels really incomplete. It makes a large effort to build up that plotline about that secret society giving out advanced weaponry but then doesn't do anything with it. It's in desperate need of a second season.] Didn't stop me from enjoying it or buying it once the sets came out though.
USMCoif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
You should try "the cockpit" i think is like 3 different stories. But if u really REALLY want to get a good war story, there is nothing but actual story from those that been in there and came back alive. I highly recommend you the book "With the old breed" you can either read or audio book this. Also Startship troopers is great (although its fiction), also there is audio book.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
I can't think of any "military" shows without mecha to be completely honest. Most of the new stuff is mecha (that I've seen, anyways).

You could always try Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The series is more "magic" and "action/adventure" than military, but it does have a lot of militaristic themes in it and has similar modern political and military situations that someone interested in history might appreciate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
Watch Black Lagoon, Madlax, or Noir. Only ones I can think of right now. Realistic, no fiction, mostly black ops stuff or assassinations. Closest I think ur going to get.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
I'd say Flag, but you said you are tired of mecha and they do tie it into the show...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
heen wrote:
I'm getting tired of all the mecha, fantasy or samurai animes.

I have never seen one modern war anime, what i mean by modern war is the setting set in the 20th century or 21st century.

The only anime i've seen that is modern war is Zipang.

Why aren't there any animes based on World War 2 etc...
It would be cool to have a anime series similar to Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan or Blackhawk down. Even though those are based on America's War, pretty sure Japan can come up with some fictional wars.

It's simply not all that popular because things based on WWII would reopen the giant cultural scar that seemingly still hasn't healed. If it had I'd think there'd be more of that sort of entertainment. Add to that the restrictions placed on their military strength afterward you won't see them entering many conflicts and thus not having that much material to write fiction on.

That being said, go watch Cat Shit One. It may have cuddly animals as main characters, but it's a serious, modern war OVA, featuring modern weaponry and tactics.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:09 am; edited 2 times in total
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:05 am Reply with quote
heen wrote:
Why aren't there any animes based on World War 2 etc...

Well, because to the rest of the world, Japan was the "bad-guys" in WWII. They were "expanding territory" AKA: conquering surrounding nations. If you're familiar with what they did to Nanking, China, you should know why that's a black piece of history people in general would like to forget. Also, like dormcat said, since their defeat in WWII, Japan really hasn't had a military; therefore, they have far less war-stories to exploit compared to the U.S., U.K., Russia, etc.
rho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
I've heard of Barefoot Gen, which is about the nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War II and a survivor's aftermath.

There's also FMA Brotherhood as someone else suggested, though that takes place in a different universe, so there's no countries like America or France.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:18 am Reply with quote
Damn Kruszer got her first in saying Cat Shit One, as it is modern war really, just with cudly animals, although the camels are not very cuddly. They are really only animals to represent their nationality.

I can not really think of many that fit the description, Full Metal Panic has flashbacks in what would probably be modern war. It is just that most of the anime is set with mecha, and the good guys aswell as bad have extra strong mecha in comparison. There are a few battles that are done without the mecha, and most of Sousuke's hijinx such as what he does at school is not too sci-fi.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
I've been bitching about this for a long time. One reason is because, having spent a great deal of time in Japan; as a Marine in my youth, and as a civilian later in life- I would love to see Americans exposed to the way the Japanese treat members of their deference force, which is extremely respectful. Another reason is that I returned last year from a deployment in Afghanistan, and unfortunately, I'm one of those Marines that just can't let the place go. I'd go back tomorrow if I could, but since I've been wounded in action one to many times, that's not going to happen. The next best thing for me would be to see my war accurately portrayed in my favorite medium.
It would be especially interesting, I think, if it were handled by Japanese Marines. I've worked a lot with those guys, and they include some of my dearest friends, but they have some really crazy ideas about urban warfare...but I digress.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Well alot of anime is about the spectacle, special effects are cheap when animated so it fills the niche of "razzle dazzle" with all its giant robots and space explosions. Because of this I think many creators believe not having giant robots and laser beams will make their anime seem bland. And always remember they are not making anime for us, they are making it for the Japanese who might be less interested in US dominated modern warfare
madlaxNoir2001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote
Konpeki no Kentai or deep blue fleet is one of big and surprising has a very long ova run like Legend of Galactic Heroes . Sadly with the idea of japan win world war 2 and the high episode count i highly doubt that they will ever license this show .

Silent service and zipang are two example of military show that got licensed sadly cpm only put part 1 not both part 1 and part 2 .The good news is that zipang was fully released before Geneon went out .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7