• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ride Back (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
-That one girl who was a fan of Rin. She is incredibly annoying, and who spouts off like that in real life? Only in Anime.

Squealing teen/preteen fangirls have been a well-documented real-world phenomenon for decades, so this behavior is hardly limited to anime.

Quote:
-The overly mature characters sitting down and talking about subjects that few teenagers would get into.

Um, these are college students. Why wouldn't they be more mature?

Quote:
-The overuse of ballet; a trope often found in Anime, where a hobby/sport takes on more importance than most real people would give to it. I mean, it is perfectly normal to expect that a person who can no longer perform their favourite hobby/sport would be devastated. But to see the world solely through the lens of ballet is, well, hmmm. I just cannot understand that viewpoint.

First, ballet is hardly overused here, as its presence is essential not only to establishing the main character and her motivations, but also to establishing why she might have a natural skill with the Fuego. (And besides, name another anime series other than Princess Tutu which features a significant ballet component.)

Second, I'm honestly confused at why you find it so hard to understand that someone could see the world entirely through the lens of ballet. Performance art tends to be an all-consuming existence for top performers, so I'd be rather surprised if a prima ballerina didn't see the world through a singular lens. Besides, being so passionate about an activity that you see everything in terms of that activity is common in many other activities (especially music - who doesn't know someone whose life is defined by their favorite band or musical genre? - and sports, but also anime/manga fandom), so putting everything in ballet terms shouldn't seem so strange.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
farruinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
-It started off painfully slow. Not glacial slow, but still slow.

-The overuse of ballet; a trope often found in Anime, where a hobby/sport takes on more importance than most real people would give to it. I mean, it is perfectly normal to expect that a person who can no longer perform their favourite hobby/sport would be devastated. But to see the world solely through the lens of ballet is, well, hmmm. I just cannot understand that viewpoint.

I heartily agree with all your points except these two. Actually, I can see how the start could be called slow, but the ballet scene was so enjoyable to watch and quite nicely animated that it didn't bother me. For Rin, ballet was more than just a hobby - it was her future career. People who embark on artistic careers are often (not always) consumed entirely by that life. I studied music for a while and saw this in a fair number of the professors and students.
gibbage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I myself ride, and I really connected in some parts, and compleatly disconnected in others.

The one thing that truly pulled on my heart strings was seeing her joy and passion she got from riding. The pure enjoyment of freedom! It reminded me a lot of when I first started riding, and I still get that "stupid happy" look every day when I ride into work.

Then, there are the things that disconnected me.

#1. It takes a lot of skill to ride a bike. Its not something you can just hop on and be compleatly adapt with, no matter what sort of computer assistance you have.

#2. Ballet does NOT trandlate into riding a bike. Thats what they are infering. A good sense of balance is NOT critical on a motorcycle. Its helpful, yes, but only at low speeds under 15 MPH. After that, gyroscoptic forces on the wheels take over, and there is almost no way I could loose my balance.

#3. The robot seemed to sense her, and also its enviornment (ducking low beams) but it really looked like little more then a cross between a segway and a motorcycle. How is it super inteligent, yet some colledge motor club can afford it?

#4. The arms in "Motorcycle mode" need to GO. As a rider, I will tell you that they will MESS YOU UP hanging out there. You want to keep your mass as close to center (and low as possible) for good handling. Having mass that far out will REALLY mess up handling.

#5. No helmet? No protective gear what so ever? spoiler[If she falls from her little jump at the end, she would be ground into hamburger. Makes for a short series!]

Overall, I like it. I just need to turn off my reality check switch when I watch Wink
farruinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Just keep in mind it's a Rideback in an alternatve universe, and not a motorcycle Smile I think that explains away everything but the arms affecting center of gravity. I was thinking the same thing at the end, but at least if she spoiler[falls and turns into hamburger, she'll be a happy hamburger Wink]
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
-The overly mature characters sitting down and talking about subjects that few teenagers would get into.

Unless they had a GAP year, or unless high school finishes real late in the Ride Back universe, they would still be teenagers. It's their first year of college; I myself was only seventeen for the first few months of my university life.

But my real gripe was that we had two perfect strangers, neither of whom come across as being insightful, and one of them is also an immature fangirl, who just sit down and start talking. What do they talk about? They have a mature discussion on the effects of ballet (or lack of it) when concering another person. Just who could be that sociable as well as being able to turn on the maturity and insight? We didn't exactly know the characters very well at that stage, I'll grant you that. But it is a pervasive trope in much of Anime (and live-action T.V. for that matter), and the sudden shift was disconcerting.

Anyway, in my view Ride Back has promise, and I've already said that I will watch the next episode. I wasn't attacking the series, just expressing my dislike for certain parts of it. That's allowed, right?
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
gibbage wrote:
#1. It takes a lot of skill to ride a bike. Its not something you can just hop on and be compleatly adapt with, no matter what sort of computer assistance you have.

#2. Ballet does NOT trandlate into riding a bike. Thats what they are infering. A good sense of balance is NOT critical on a motorcycle. Its helpful, yes, but only at low speeds under 15 MPH. After that, gyroscoptic forces on the wheels take over, and there is almost no way I could loose my balance.

#3. The robot seemed to sense her, and also its enviornment (ducking low beams) but it really looked like little more then a cross between a segway and a motorcycle. How is it super inteligent, yet some colledge motor club can afford it?

I believe she mentioned, or one of them did, that it is controlled "mentally", that it responds directly to her thoughts, which is why she was suddenly unable to control it near the end--the connection was lost. The bike is then just an extension of her body.

In that case, the precise control of her body attained via ballet certainly makes her more likely to be able to pilot it well. Balance is required for ballet, but it's not even remotely the point, and means little with a rideback anyway since it has four points of contact with the ground. Being able to will your body into extreme poses and push it through space in strenuous yet aesthetic actions with precision is entirely beyond balance. I have great balance, but I would look silly as hell trying the simplest of ballet moves.

Affording it? Hmmm... this club faintly reminds me of the Nekomi Motor Club in Ah My Goddess. Maybe they are just super geeks who've been slowly piecing their own ridebacks together. Or maybe, they have super-secret resistance movement financial backing... Or... of course I do not know.

(Also, I completely understand how frustrating it can be to watch something that violates a reality you are very familiar with. I showed a concert cellist friend, or tried to show him, Nodame Cantabile, and he was too distracted by the "unreality" to watch it Smile)

gibbage wrote:
#5. No helmet? No protective gear what so ever? spoiler[If she falls from her little jump at the end, she would be ground into hamburger. Makes for a short series!]

Please, please don't bring that reality into my anime! I don't want a lesson in safety, I want to be entertained! If that means stretching physics a bit, too, then so be it. Dear god, if they put her into a helmet and pads, I may have to move on... but seriously, I imagine the rideback takes care of the safety issue (and yes, I expect her to trade in the dress). We have yet to see the landing... Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I believe she mentioned, or one of them did, that it is controlled "mentally", that it responds directly to her thoughts, which is why she was suddenly unable to control it near the end--the connection was lost. The bike is then just an extension of her body.

Not so. The Fuego was clearly responding to her movements. When she leaned one way it turned that way, sort of like a skateboard. I suppose it moves similar to a segway, though having never been on one I couldn't say. But the Fuego (and probably by extension all Ridebacks) does seem to have the capability to translate the rider shifting his or her weight and/or center of gravity into commands, and therefore actions.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

????
Well, that's certainly a new "trope" for me. Also, I happen to be a writer--and yes, I value my art more than anything else in my life. I think it's telling that you've linked the words hobby/sport together; that's not all something such as drama, painting, or other types of art, are. For some people they're merely hobbies; for others, they're real professions, and give meaning to people's lives.

How about seeing the world solely through the lens of a writer? Since I am one, it's ingrained into me. I tend to be quiet so that I can observe others keenly, whether I mean to or not, and I speak with a larger vocabulary than most when I choose to open my mouth. Similarly, I imagine that ballet dancers would be very kinesthetically aware, noticing movement in their daily lives and drawing inspiration for their work.

I'm not saying it explains Rin magically jumping onto the bike or anything--but I am very averse to the statement that one doesn't see the world through the lens of one's art. I actually loved the ballet metaphor, because it explained how fragile Rin's world is--it relies on a very delicate balance which can be shattered in an instant. When she lost ballet, she was lost herself--Rin post-ballet is very directionless; it's only when she finds a new way to express herself that she has any life.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
Just keep in mind it's a Rideback in an alternatve universe, and not a motorcycle Smile I think that explains away everything but the arms affecting center of gravity. I was thinking the same thing at the end, but at least if she spoiler[falls and turns into hamburger, she'll be a happy hamburger Wink]

I got hamburgered last year by a truck riding my cycle, I wasn't happy. Wink
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
pparker wrote:

Not so. The Fuego was clearly responding to her movements. When she leaned one way it turned that way, sort of like a skateboard. I suppose it moves similar to a segway, though having never been on one I couldn't say. But the Fuego (and probably by extension all Ride Backs) does seem to have the capability to translate the rider shifting his or her weight and/or center of gravity into commands, and therefore actions.

Wow, I really wrote some of my own script, there... yes, you're right. I think it's because the machine is so spoiler[anthropomorphized. Haruki in the garage calls it "a humanoid motorcycle", and when he says "come", the Fuego moves in very humanoid fashion. Later during the ride, Rin tells it to "calm down", which is an emotional direction that a human and in this case the Fuego interprets as reduction in level of emotion or motion. Its movement is much more akin to a mecha than a motorcycle, seeing how it handles obstacles and terrain. After basically dancing it through the light poles (our Singin' in the Rain moment Smile), the screen dies and she says, "it stopped listening to what I said all of sudden".

I'm still not entirely clear on how the rider's motion interfaces to it. Obviously changing direction is accomplished by leaning. But it's making lots of motion decisions on its own as well. And... the "this can dance" sequence, if you go through it slowly, looks most similar to rollerblading. She somehow gets it to leap into the air in very human fashion. Then in the poles she reverses to "skate" backwards (interesting drive mechanism requirement, there), and then leaps and reverses again. The rideback moves exactly as would a skater. ]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:

Unless they had a GAP year, or unless high school finishes real late in the Ride Back universe, they would still be teenagers. It's their first year of college; I myself was only seventeen for the first few months of my university life.

Perhaps I should have added "and thus older teenagers" to the original phrase. I work with high school-aged students all the time and can guarantee you that being 18-19 (a more typical age for starting college, as you were on the young side) usually makes one more mature than being 14-16.

Quote:
But my real gripe was that we had two perfect strangers, neither of whom come across as being insightful, and one of them is also an immature fangirl, who just sit down and start talking. What do they talk about? They have a mature discussion on the effects of ballet (or lack of it) when concering another person. Just who could be that sociable as well as being able to turn on the maturity and insight?

Have to wonder about your life experiences if you've never seen this kind of thing happen. People get sociable like this with strangers who share a common interest all the time.

Quote:
We didn't exactly know the characters very well at that stage, I'll grant you that. But it is a pervasive trope in much of Anime (and live-action T.V. for that matter), and the sudden shift was disconcerting.

Okay, what, exactly, are you calling a "trope" here? I'm confused.

Quote:
I wasn't attacking the series, just expressing my dislike for certain parts of it. That's allowed, right?

Well, when you comments don't make sense. . . Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Hey, why the hostility? I wasn't - and still aren't - trying to pick a fight with you, you know. I was just expressing my personal views, views that will naturally be different from those of most other people. So why are you making such a big deal out of this?

Edit: According to Wikipedia at least, Ride Back is scheduled for just twelve episodes. Given the Manga's length of nine volumes, I would have expected a full 24- or 26-episode series.
gibbage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Dear god, if they put her into a helmet and pads, I may have to move on...

Dude. Trust me. A chick in some nice leathers is HOT!

I rest my case... Cool
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think Ride Back is that kind of series, and I don't think that Rin is that kind of girl. I noticed there was zero fanservice in the pilot episode, which is a huge relief. After all, with Rin's skirt blowing like that, and with the chase camera angles, it would have been so easy to have panty shots galore. All we have are two guys who say that they can see her panties, but we aren't shown that.

Edit: According a user at Mechatalk, we were shown several instances of Rin's panties. Hmmm. Do I dare go and rewatch the episode frame by frame to check......
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Edit: According a user at Mechatalk, we were shown several instances of Rin's panties. Hmmm. Do I dare go and rewatch the episode frame by frame to check......

They _are_ there, but they definitely weren't put there as fanservice, merely the consequence of the camera angle I feel - at no point were they shown to fill the screen or put in any kind of sexual light, in my opinion.

Also, lol @ the "zuzuki" bike
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11