• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-12-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Just want to post a reply before the new Answerman goes up. Brian, I am awed by your awesome awesomeness. I'm looking forward to reading this column every week now (and I read The Click despite my lack-of-TV status because you're funny). Laughing Cool

Am I the only one who thinks Leloche is absolutely hateful? Light I loved to hate, Lelouche I just hate. He removes all guilt of his hubris and vengefulness (and I'd argue, his lust for power) by justifying his behaviour as "all for Nunnally". She's much more well-adjusted than he ever was and would be horrified to learn what big bro was doing for her sake. His reaction to Euphemia's initial quest for a peaceful solution to terrorism says it all. And yes, I saw the last episode of R2. Still dislike the guy.

But I'm still drawn to watch CG. Because...well...you never know when Britain will take over the world with giant robots! Laughing
tasukidaisuki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
All funimation releases in the UK since 2006/2007 are now handled through revelation films, and before that, MVM. Manga UK deal with mainly Viz titles.

And if you think region locks on DVDs are even a slight hinderance to anyone in the UK, you should come along to a convention. 90% of the DVD stock is from the US, as UK DVDs are extortionatly expensive as they have to go through the BFi screenign process twice (once for subs, secondly for dubs) - although with the exchange rate, they're probably about the same price now!

In fact, denying the UK (and I would expect other English countries) interent streaming just encourages fansubbing, sadly, and expensive DVDs cause destruction to our own anime industry - ADV UK for example, a great asset to the UK anime community. It's a sad fact, but I think the UK has a completly different opinnion to fansubbing and the likes to the US because of these barriers which are put up - not that I'm condoning fansubbing or denying that companies have the right to make money from anime in the ways they see fit.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks Leloche is absolutely hateful? Light I loved to hate, Lelouche I just hate. He removes all guilt of his hubris and vengefulness (and I'd argue, his lust for power) by justifying his behaviour as "all for Nunnally". She's much more well-adjusted than he ever was and would be horrified to learn what big bro was doing for her sake. His reaction to Euphemia's initial quest for a peaceful solution to terrorism says it all. And yes, I saw the last episode of R2. Still dislike the guy.

No, you certainly aren't though, like I've previously mentioned, that's not my own position.

To say that he's self-centered and full of himself would be an understatement, but from my point of view, Lelouch always displayed a lot more inner conflict than Light ever did. While the "it's all for Nunnally's sake" factor remains his original and primary motivation, things do move on from there in several ways. In fact, the show actually does address how Nunnally would feel about his actions, so there's not much I could add to that. Finally, the last episode of R2 isn't that significant without considering what his character went through up to that point.

That said, there's absolutely nothing forcing anyone to like Lelouch. Some people do, some people don't.
nqm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
Now I'm like a week late on the column but Brian's first column was pretty good especially on the western comics and manga thing. Unfortunately like someone else mentioned earlier that we as nerds tend to be unfortunately really inclusive instead of the opposite. I grew up as the classic comic geek but my tastes have expanded into manga as well. As mentioned Western comics aren't just superheroes there's plenty of books out there that don't cater to the spandex crowd.

I still love my superheroes although Alan Moore had some interesting comments about America's obsession with being invincible when he was asked about the success of superhero films in the United States.

Although I've met both kinds of fans ones that refuse to pick up a non japanese comic or American comic fans who think that the manga is way too incoherent to be readable sadly.

Both have their good and bad sides but in both mediums. But personally I think manga fans are doing themselves a disservice by not reading what American and European comics have to offer.

Most of my favorite comic writers are from the United Kingdom. Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis and Mark Millar.

Grant Morrison's take on Superman with All Star Superman is simply superb. This is someone who isn't even a superman fan. It's really awe inspiring to see someone like Superman as a genuine force of good.

Grant Morrison if you're looking for some mecha flavor check out We3. At it's core it's a story about animals wanting to go home much like the Incredible Journey. It's also story of the savagery of humans on animals. The story is that the US government is looking to replace soldiers so they use animals as a way into easily controllable shock troops. They put into cybernetic combat powered armor suits and cybernetically enhance these animals who our protagonists are a dog, cat and rabbit. Thejust really want to go back home. It's incredibly violent tale of their struggle to get back home.

Brian K Vaughn to me is a comics superstar writer I mean Y The Last Man, Ex Machina as mentioned earlier but also The Escapists is really good. The Escapists is about a kid growing up in cleveland who wants to revive an old fictitious Pulp hero in the 40's called the Escapist. They decide to make their own comic and it's a kind of fascinating about making comics.

Some may dig David Mack's Kabuki. Not really a classic comic artist in the classic sense or even in a manga sense. He uses abstract artwork to give a kind of dreamlike experience for his stories. Plus much like manga-ka he writes and illustrates his own stories although me personally I'm not a big fan of his writing but I do love his art.

Personally I'm a little surprised that Green Lantern hasn't had an anime adaptation yet. Even though it's a superhero comic book I think it would translate quite well to to anime. I mean you could turn it into a run of the mill shonen jump title lol. It wouldn't even have to be the ones in DC continuity they could make up their own.

Plus if you're into something with more substance maybe too much of it check out the work of Jonathan Hickman with the Nightly News and Pax Romana.

Slice of life manga fans will probably appreciate Brian Wood's Local. The protagonist goes from town to town and you experience each new place she visits distinct personality in her eyes.
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:

On a side note. The whole I am not a racist I have other race friends. NEVER say that. It's like code to black people that you are racist. I am not saying you are only that when most minorites hear someone saying that they are more likely to think you are a racist then not. Just FYI.

I know exactly what you mean with this because people do the same thing with gay people.

"So-and-so is gay....not that it's a bad thing.."

Yeah right >_> I am sure they mean it too
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
Now, about this nerd-on-nerd violence thing, can't we all just get along? Anybody remember the great Geek Hierarchy Chart? Now if everybody would just follow that caste system, then there'd be no problem. Laughing

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8