• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sharing anime with your family?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
^ the lesson in all of this. Send your parents down any anime aisle and they will suddenly except your fandom.

I have finally decided on what anime I'm going to try to show my dad. I think Cowboy Bebop is the right anime for him. It has allot of things that he would like. It has Jazz (he's a huge jazz fan). And it's part western and he loves those. It's the perfect anime for him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
^ the lesson in all of this. Send your parents down any anime aisle and they will suddenly except your fandom.

I have finally decided on what anime I'm going to try to show my dad. I think Cowboy Bebop is the right anime for him. It has allot of things that he would like. It has Jazz (he's a huge jazz fan). And it's part western and he loves those. It's the perfect anime for him.

^ Because it is pop-u-lah-ish, it MUST be okay...yeah, mom, that's a great way of looking at it Wink...and Cowboy Bebop is a good anime for most people. Hip hip hooray for gateway drugs!
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
My bro, who thinks anime is utter crap, walked in when I was watching Black Lagoon and he instantly wanted to see the DVD after I finished. Then, when his friend came over, they both sat down and watched it and from what they said, seemed to enjoy it a lot. Granted, they liked all the cursing and gunfights in it, but hey, whatever floats their boat.
swordmaster56

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
I showed my father the first 3 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Afterwards he said "It wasn´t that bad."
But i take that as a good thing, since he would never admit liking Anime just for picking me on.
He always says it is a waste of money and that I should rather watch shows about politics.
Although he was complaining that Shinji was always crying and said he was a pussy.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
swordmaster56 wrote:
I showed my father the first 3 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Wow, showing Evangelion, that's a bold move. I always see that as hard to approach for most non anime fans because of how weird it is. It's very much like and "art house film", if you will, It's not exactly something that most people can grasp and enjoy. But it's cool that he seemed to enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xagor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough my dad bought the first few Evangelion DVDs and watched them with me and my brother way back when it was the sort of watching Pokemon and DBZ on TV period. We never finished it at the time though. At the time it'd be hard to say any of us were particularly anime fans.
swordmaster56

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wow, showing Evangelion, that's a bold move. I always see that as hard to approach for most non anime fans because of how weird it is.

That might be true but I didn´t have nuch of a choice.
The only other series I have are
Darker Than Black
Death Note
Elfen Lied
Fullmetal Alchemist
Naruto

I live in Germany so Naruto dropped out because it´s an UK-import and I know he doesn´t like it anyway.
Death Note dropped out because I only have the first 5 episodes and the DVDs are still being released from that point onward.
Elfen Lied dropped out for obvious reasons.
Fullmetal Alchemist is too happy and Shounen-like in the beginning
Darker Than Black might have been a possibility, but considering the 1st episode and that he always complains that people are always flying in Anime, well...Confused
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
swordmaster56 wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist is too happy and Shounen-like in the beginning

It is?! Maybe around episodes 9-13, sure, but the first 8 episodes, with the exception of 5 (and 6, sorta) are pretty downbeat overall (spoiler[children getting body parts ripped off, a corrupt religious leader ruling a naive town, dying parents, the "doll" maker, Nina Tucker, Barry the Chopper, etc.]). Good grief, FMA has probably one of the best opening scenes to immediately kill a notion of "all anime = kids' entertainment".
swordmaster56

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
It is not so much the story but the way alchemy is used and the first two episodes aren´t that serious on top of that it has 51 episodes.
As busy as my father is we would never manage to finish that.
Hell, it took us 1 week to watch those 3 episodes. Wink

Cowboy Bebop sounds like a good idea, haven´t seen it yet but nonetheless.
The only problem is that the german version have 8 single-releases each prized at 25$. Shocked
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
swordmaster56 wrote:

As busy as my father is we would never manage to finish that.
Hell, it took us 1 week to watch those 3 episodes. Wink

And it took those of us who watched the [adult swim] broadcast 51 weeks to see the whole series...and that's not even counting the year-long hiatus halfway through. Razz Three episodes a week is a fine pace, especially for someone you're just trying to get interested in the medium.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Wow, showing Evangelion, that's a bold move. I always see that as hard to approach for most non anime fans because of how weird it is. It's very much like and "art house film", if you will, It's not exactly something that most people can grasp and enjoy.

My sister saw one of the earlier episodes with me. Whenever I mention the series, she'll always attack it for being highly boring based upon what she saw.
That said, her boyfriend is an Eva fan himself, so she may find herself either changing her stance (which is unlikely) or finding another reason to complain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
My sister saw one of the earlier episodes with me. Whenever I mention the series, she'll always attack it for being highly boring based upon what she saw.
That's like watching the first five minutes of Total Recall and saying that it is boring. I had to watch all of Evangelion in order to fully appreciate how truly awful it is. =0P But I wouldn't call it boring.

Last edited by GrinfilledCelt on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
swordmaster56

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And it took those of us who watched the [adult swim] broadcast 51 weeks to see the whole series...and that's not even counting the year-long hiatus halfway through. Razz Three episodes a week is a fine pace, especially for someone you're just trying to get interested in the medium.

Yeah looking at it that way you´re actually right. I didn´t think of that Anime smile + sweatdrop
We just watched episode 5, but he didn´t really understand why Rei just left even though Shinji was talking to her.

All in all he said that it is difficult to understand and that this Rei girl is retarded

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop[/quote]
farruinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Good grief, FMA has probably one of the best opening scenes to immediately kill a notion of "all anime = kids' entertainment".

This statement doesn't make sense to me because FMA is most definitely shounen, ie kids, anime. It happens to have some heavy and sometimes graphic scenes, they've just been sugar coated. Maybe you're trying to say that FMA has wider appeal than just the shounen demographic? I guess I would just consider an anime targetted specifically to older audiences, at the exclusion of younger viewers, to be a better example.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Good grief, FMA has probably one of the best opening scenes to immediately kill a notion of "all anime = kids' entertainment".

This statement doesn't make sense to me because FMA is most definitely shounen, ie kids, anime. It happens to have some heavy and sometimes graphic scenes, they've just been sugar coated. Maybe you're trying to say that FMA has wider appeal than just the shounen demographic? I guess I would just consider an anime targetted specifically to older audiences, at the exclusion of younger viewers, to be a better example.

*SIGH*. I'm sorry, is there some unspoken rule that because it's aimed at kids in Japan that means it's automatically aimed at kids everywhere else? Because that's the mentality that some anime fans seem to have, and it's really quite annoying. Heck, I would even argue Naruto stopped being "kids' entertainment" once they spoiler[morally justified, though your mileage may vary if it's actually justified, the murder of an entire group of people.]

Let me end this: would you honestly show FMA in an elementary school class with all the kids and with their parents watching? I guarantee you, you'd get as far as spoiler[Ed screaming in pain and a clear shot of his chopped-off leg with blood pouring out of it] before the kids gasp and the parents scream in protest.

Also, I said opening scene, because that pretty much happens within the first minute of the show. More "mature" titles might have more overall violence/disturbing content/etc., but not necessarily immediately in the first minute.

Most "kids' series" really translate outside of Japan to "teen and up", and the anime/manga companies' ratings back that up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8