• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
Alright, this is the last straw. I don't mind flimsy excuses for females in states of undress, and I tolerate shameless cinematography upstaging important scenes, but the chinese federation putting it's P.O.W.s in fetish gear is just plain stupid. Whoever is in charge of the fanservice for this series needs to suffer some of those severe health problems mangaka and always going on hiatus to combat.

That's not the only problem either- R2 is unequivocally the worst case of a sequel derailing from what made it's predecessor great since Warrior Within turned the Prince of Persia into a death metal video. The Ashford Academy sequences are completely at odds with everything else going on, the strategic focus of R1 has been pushed aside in favor of shocking turnabouts and colorful mechs duking it out, the comedic scenes grate against the more dramatic ones, and the plot is seemingly being made up as the writers go along. Was I not paying attention, or did the whole "religious cult making warriors with Geass" angle come out of nowhere just now?

This series has become a complete spoof of its' former self. If I wasn't having so much fun mocking everything it does wrong with the CG concept, I'd toss it in the rubbish bin. As it is whoever decided it should be more fanservicey and comedic should be slapped silly.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Hmm, the only thing remotely "fetish" was the gag they were using. If it had been a red rubber ball in her mouth, I'd agree. If I remember correctly, it was a blue/grey rectangular object. In any event, her captors were eunuchs. Since they can't do anything but look, why not make the view more pleasing? Razz

I, for one, am really enjoying this show. I can understand why this was so popular in Japan. It has high entertainment value. That's all that matters to me.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Interesting show, I've been taking the time to watch it on the new available channel on Youtube. Nice quality videos as well. But I have to say also that the way that the manga is trying to model itself after the show is different as well. The way the first episode plays out is a little different to my recollection in the manga.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I personally like R2 more than R1 so far. Although it's not quite perfect. I really hate the parts involving Ashford Academy, they seem pointless and annoying. But I like everything ells about it. I'm looking forward to owning R1 and R2 when I can get the money for them. I'm looking forward to next weeks episode. I look forward to see what Lelouch does next and how he gets out of tight situations. It's just a great show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty does have some valid complaints, though to be honest I just classified any excessive bits of fanservice as tasteless and paid them no further mind at all. For me it is more of a case of rushing certain scenes and developments instead of slowing down and making everything as smooth as it should be.

This usually turns out badly, and a lot of it does, but I think the staff did know where they were going, ultimately, even if the process was too sloppy and there are a number of true blunders. In other words, they probably had a plan, but didn't execute it too well. Why? Bad circumstances plus honest mistakes is my guess.

If you want a general piece of advice...don't try to take everything too seriously and just roll with it. Going too far in this direction might be overkill, as far as I'm concerned the series does have some good things going for it, although that does seem to work for others. Your mileage may vary.

For me, this current arc -roughly speaking, episodes 8 to 12- is probably the weakest one in the series, when taken as a whole as opposed to just speaking about specific moments (which would be a another question, with a different answer). That doesn't mean there aren't any problems later on, of course there are, nor does anyone else have to agree. It's just a thought.

Quote:
Was I not paying attention, or did the whole "religious cult making warriors with Geass" angle come out of nowhere just now?

Nah, I can't really blame you...the issue here is that the "cult/order" wasn't formally introduced, outside of Villetta or someone else very briefly mentioning the organization during their past conversations with Rollo. There were a few other indirect signs pointing in its general direction, but the way things turned out we missed out on the (referenced) exposition between C.C. and Lelouch, which would have made it come up in a natural way. Unfortunately, this isn't the first nor the last time.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Alright, this is the last straw. I don't mind flimsy excuses for females in states of undress, and I tolerate shameless cinematography upstaging important scenes, but the chinese federation putting it's P.O.W.s in fetish gear is just plain stupid. Whoever is in charge of the fanservice for this series needs to suffer some of those severe health problems mangaka and always going on hiatus to combat.

That's not the only problem either- R2 is unequivocally the worst case of a sequel derailing from what made it's predecessor great since Warrior Within turned the Prince of Persia into a death metal video. The Ashford Academy sequences are completely at odds with everything else going on, the strategic focus of R1 has been pushed aside in favor of shocking turnabouts and colorful mechs duking it out, the comedic scenes grate against the more dramatic ones, and the plot is seemingly being made up as the writers go along. Was I not paying attention, or did the whole "religious cult making warriors with Geass" angle come out of nowhere just now?

This series has become a complete spoof of its' former self. If I wasn't having so much fun mocking everything it does wrong with the CG concept, I'd toss it in the rubbish bin. As it is whoever decided it should be more fanservicey and comedic should be slapped silly.

I agree, R2 is so incohenrent that the entire series becomes pointless. Plot holes are everywhere and never resolved. I don't even know why so many idiots gave R2 a masterpiece rating. R2 basically took all that was good in R1 and flushed it down the drain.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

I agree, R2 is so incohenrent that the entire series becomes pointless. Plot holes are everywhere and never resolved. I don't even know why so many idiots gave R2 a masterpiece rating. R2 basically took all that was good in R1 and flushed it down the drain.

I'd say it's more inconsistent than incoherent, and while some events are indeed pointless...others actually aren't.

I don't think R2 is a masterpiece at all, nor was the clearly superior first season one of those to begin with, but I do think that last statement is an exaggeration. A popular one, of course, but that also goes for the unreasonably high ratings you refer to.

These days it seems one must either praise this show to the heavens or banish it to the depths of hell, considering all the polarization around it.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Nerv1 wrote:

I'd say it's more inconsistent than incoherent, and while some events are indeed pointless...others actually aren't.

I don't think R2 is a masterpiece at all, nor was the clearly superior first season one to begin with, but I do think that last statement is an exaggeration. A popular one, of course, but that also goes for the unreasonably high ratings you refer to.

These days it seems one must either praise this show to the heavens or banish it to the depths of hell, considering all the polarization around it. Oh well.

That's true. I didn't completely hate R2 and I did like some parts of it such as the last episode and some shocking revlations to come(I'm not spoiling it for you guys watching it on Adult Swim). I gave R2 a "decent" rating since it did retain some good elements from R1 but the majority of the show becomes a joke. If the creators of Code Geass are reading this, I hopefully they'll took what we all said and remake R2 into what it should be, not what they already have out now...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
I don't think either season is remotely near a masterpiece, but they're both a load of fun to watch precisely because of all those completely random twists and massive plot holes. Seriously, you never know what this show is going to pull out of its ass next. Very Happy It's the very best kind of mindless entertainment...just switch your brain off and enjoy watching all the pretty people run convoluted circles around each other.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that arguably works for a lot of people, perhaps more about the twists than the holes, so there is that basic appeal to it...but following that logic, I shouldn't even be watching this since technically nothing is going to surprise me. Wink

As a result, people keep saying that this show or at least this particular season has no re-watch value, but it seems to me that isn't quite true (unless you just end up hating it outright or like to re-watch things you hate, which would be fair enough). I've noticed a fair amount of details / ideas / themes, both good and bad, that I missed the first time around, which are pretty interesting even if they can also be disappointing.

This isn't exactly Legend of the Galactic Heroes (where almost everything matters) or Monster (from what I've heard), but I do think there was more of point to Code Geass than, say, to the average comedy where nothing really happened at the end of the day and the entire thing was essentially a big circle. Which explains why I quickly abandoned that genre. Laughing
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I know that some people like to bag on the series for being over the top and having plot holes. But some times this can be an enjoyable thing (not all ways though). It's one of the things that I like about the series. An anime can be over the top and filled with plot holes as long as they sell it to you so that you think it makes sens. That's the job of a story teller. Now I'm not saying that I think that this series is a masterpiece, but I do think that it's a great anime and I'd suggest it to anyone who's just looking for an entertaining and captivating show. It's serves it's purpose and that's all I can ask for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
freezespell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for next episode: spoiler[Love is in the air! Very Happy ]
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
I love this anime Rolo is was the only reason I started watching Code Geass in the first place he is like the best character in the series 2nd being Lelouch Very Happy
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
I love this anime Rolo is was the only reason I started watching Code Geass in the first place he is like the best character in the series 2nd being Lelouch Very Happy

I actually don't like Rolo to much. He comes off to me as being annoying and needy. When they introduced Rolo I wasn't impressed and he still hasn't got me yet. Li Xingke is, in my opinion, the best character to be introduced in season two (so far). He has an interesting back story and is actually useful as a character. I hope to see more of him as the series progresses.
TiaxZatch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
The episode today for the dub is perfect! It's the cutest episode ever for Lulu and Shirley fans. It's perfect for Valentine's Day. perfect timing for the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 47 of 60