• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clanning Up

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Does ANN have any reviewers who you can honestly say won't automatically give it a bad review just for being what it is? If the answer is YES give it to that person.

They tried. She didn't decry the "sexualization" of the girls enough. Laughing

Of course it doesn't help that ANN's unspoken review guidelines are extremely different from most other professionals in my experience: In my time I've always been told that making "I" statements in a review is poor form. And yet here I get lambasted for not making it clear that yes, I speak Japanese when commenting on the quality of the original sub track. Go figure. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

They tried. She didn't decry the "sexualization" of the girls enough. Laughing

Of course it doesn't help that ANN's unspoken review guidelines are extremely different from most other professionals in my experience: In my time I've always been told that making "I" statements in a review is poor form. And yet here I get lambasted for not making it clear that yes, I speak Japanese when commenting on the quality of the original sub track. Go figure. Rolling Eyes

Wow, that isn't fair at all. Sorry you're butt-hurt that I didn't like your review but being a jerk about it in public is hardly called for.
Ceral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
Ceral wrote:
SPARKLING REVIEW

While I appreciate the time and effort you put into your review, you missed these few points:

1) The majority of your post was frankly, an advertisement. Not a review. Your opinion was too blended into your summaries. Point out the crisp animation, talk about the voice acting, describe the plot execution (if you know the source material). Don't sell me the series, that's what Promo Clips are for...

2)Plot and character bios should be the last thing on your list to note off. If that's one thing to put a reader to sleep, it's that. Unlike a blog, it's awkward to interrupt a review post with pictures, so you have to get to your point quicker. Thus, you can summarize. Here, let me try:
Tomoya: MC, deliquent
Nagisa: Shy, sick with some illness, wants to re-establish the drama club
Sunohara: Tomoya's friend, loud, comic relief
Tomoyo: Strong fighter (rapid kicks), mysterious
Kotomi: Avid reader, genius, ditches class to read in library
Kyou: Twin of Ryou, feisty
Fuko: Energetic, childish

(Now I feel like I'm stepping over my boundaries as a reader. I don't know the format for an ANN review, but I based my advice on what I look for in a review. Hope it's helpful.)

These shows my friend, are all about the characters, from the first minute to the last, it's all scenes of character interactions. Talking about how well the plot was executed or giving a brief review of the characters won't tell you a whole lot about whether or not you'll like the show. I gave character descriptions interspersed with opinion, because that is what this show is about. I want to give you a strong example of what a typical meeting with one of the characters is like, depending on that, that's all you need to know about whether you'll like it or not.

Voice acting and animation were top notch, I thought I sold it enough by the descriptions I gave in the first paragraph. Would you really want me to say after every character description, "Oh yeah, and the voice acting for her character was great. She never sounded out of character, her pitch was great during the gags, etc." And then you'd have a longer character description. It's all just a balancing act, eh?

I just wrote the "review" for fun, because I love the show. I'm not really trying to adhere to the rules you set out, I started writing the review before the post you put before it. I just thought the reviews for Clannad were all passionateless for the show, I just like know that there's a review somewhere in an obscure corner of a forum, where there was some passion put into what they were writing about. You're right. I am trying to sell you the show, much like Bamboo's Ouran review tries to sell you that.

Sorry if you thought the review was boring, I tried to make the character descriptions flowery enough to give you a good image of the characters in your mind. Anyway, I'm done posing as a reviewer and shooting off my rhetoric on this thread. There's nothing left to say that I haven't said already about what I think are double standards for judging young looking characters or judging plotlines. It's too much work to argue daily over this stuff.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
Ceral wrote:
These shows my friend, are all about the characters, from the first minute to the last, it's all scenes of character interactions. Talking about how well the plot was executed or giving a brief review of the characters won't tell you a whole lot about whether or not you'll like the show. I gave character descriptions interspersed with opinion, because that is what this show is about. I want to give you a strong example of what a typical meeting with one of the characters is like, depending on that, that's all you need to know about whether you'll like it or not.

Likable characters, my friend, do not a good show make. I loved all the characters in Harukanaru, but it's most definitely not a series that would win awards. It's an adaptation of a reverse harem dating sim with a shallow storyline. Each of the harem members has their own little backstory, the heroine's transported from the present to the past, yet they all must come together to defeat the evil, yadda-yadda. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a guilty pleasure.

Likewise, I hated (at one point or another) all the characters in Evangelion, and it's regarded as one of the most influential series of all time. Christianity, the Apocalypse, the meaning of life, love, psychology, Gainax endings: people have ranted over these topics and more since Eva came out. I can shoot it for its short comings, but it sure does make me think about stuff, if I focus on it.

Plot execution is a very important aspect of anime. Even if you can see an ending coming, if the scene's written and animated well enough, you won't care about the cliches/tropes. You'll enjoy the scene and be taken in along for the ride along with the rest of the audience.

I'm still glad you had the balls to stand up and support what you believe in. I tip my hat to you, sir.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16