• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cease & Desist Letters for Eva: 1.0, Soul Eater Fansubs

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
I'd rather they'd do it and anounce they have the show at the same swipe.

because leaving pepole waving in the wind is something of a dick move.

A legal and perfecly-in-thier-right-to-pull dick move, but a dick move all the same.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
It's about time they started to take fansubbing seriously epsecially in this economic crisis. Never liked fansubs,and never will cause it aint the legit translations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
It's about time they started to take fansubbing seriously epsecially in this economic crisis.

I fail to see how those two are related--especially with no licensing announcement.
chipmonk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
the reason why there are so many fans is because people got it for free. without fans, these shows wouldn't exist. because these shows cost money, there shouldnt be this large a fanbase in the first place.

its like they let illegal activity occur for a while so they could go fishing for fans. it's too bad our money is on the menu, but i don't really care because I'm not paying a single penny... i already pay for internet and satellite. i'm actually curious to know why all the shows from comedy central are free, but these shows are not.

either charge a pathetic fan-base directly or charge sponsors and yield a mighty fan-base. your move...

Last edited by chipmonk on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
Oh god.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
chipmonk wrote:

i'm actually curious to know why all the shows from comedy central are free, but these shows are not.

....Probably because they actually have enough money from ads/revenue to support "free" to the viewers. But not all companies are lucky. Anyway... Next to that, NOTHING is ever really free. If you're not paying for your cable bill, of course you would think it is, but someone else in the house would be.
chipmonk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
if by lucky, you meant competent, then i agree with everything you said.

no fans, no show. the more fans there are, the bigger the show. if they want fans, they have to bring the show. its just the way things work... and the way fame and fortune are earned.

it is far more effective to sell media to sponsors than to fans.

P.S. piracy on the web?? who ever heard of such a thing!?
chipmonk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
revenue from sponsors should scale with the size of the fan-base. it's fairly simple, if you negate international law, and the intentions of the owners of the intellectual property... and any other parties(all which delay and distort progression for the sake of conservation). screw the beaurocracy, and have faith in the invisible hand.

i'm just seriously pissed off because i'm stuck watching crap shows like two and a half men, instead of kidou senshi gundam 00. i guess it serves me right for not living in japan.

last time i bought a DVD, it costed 60$ and the quality was revolting at best. i will proceed with extreme caution before being ripped off again. it would be humiliating to vouch for something like that. "oh yeah, this is my favourite anime, happy birthday!"

if anyone is looking to make a huge profit on anime within the next 15 years, you're in for a big suprise. if you're a true fan, and looking to build a sturdy, foreign anime fan-base, then you've got a good, honest job ahead of you, with tons of people waiting to shower you with praise... and perhaps a happy ending...

my hope is that eventually, i will be watching all the animes that i absolutely love, on a channel hooked up with either rogers, or bell, so these talented artists and voice actors can be funded by Coca Cola, Doritos, and tons of toilet paper. subbed, not dubbed. untampered with and uncensored.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Okay......

In terms of your thought on a "pure" invisible hand, one of the things we just and are seeing is that full deregulation doesn't work, based purely on human nature it doesn't work. Now you can make something and no one neccessarily has to buy it, but it does have value. As others have explained there is nothing that is truly free, and online distribution also doesn't solve the other problems that the industry faces or its production model shown here in this report (production model is fig. 2) http://www.jetro.go.jp/en/reports/market/pdf/2005_35_r.pdf

So online streaming only changes were the anime goes but it doesn't inherently pay those who make the anime series better or get international lawyers paid by itself. Also your suggestion of sub only will effectively cut-off a majority of your potential base, as frankly dubs sell better than subs, so why would streaming media act differently?

Last edited by LordRedhand on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
babbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Oh god.

seriously.

Can't you people have the common decency to not start a fansub debate in a thread that hasn't had a post in over three months?

Lock please?
chipmonk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
you're right because everyone wants a cut of the profit gained from anything that is the product of hard work and talent. people are still cashing in on 1000yr old music ffs. on that note, it is very difficult to quantify the value of anything, let alone media. an open market will tell you exactly how much society as a whole values any given product at any given time. however, the market is a fickle !@#$%, and no!, i cannot read minds! calculus ftw.

television itself is streaming media. its a tried and true method which did not start from selling anything other than a TV. the shows were sponsored. this day in age, there's way too much for anyone to watch or even categorize, and sponsorships will drop accordingly. channels will be increasingly conservative with what they air for the sake of reliability and consistency. but its the same old BS, dumbing down the people. the true cause of recessions.

we know there would be a steady fan-base all over the world because Anime is good. it will withstand the test of time, but we're all going to die soon enough, so there should be a better way of handling things that we can all benefit from, while we're still alive.
*fingers crossed on soul eater*

its all just mindless babbling, but i love anime, and don't know why there isnt more of it. easily accessible, dependable... and mainstream enough that i can watch it without having to build or buy a decent computer, and pay for a really good internet connection. and run spybot and antivirus consistantly.

if any organization truly wishes to represent any product, they should have malleable, yet clear goals in mind for its role in society.

i didn't even think to check how old this thread is... seeing as i'm a forum noob... also kicking an anxiety med. it will all work itself out anyways, i just hope its for the better. the anime networking, i mean.

subbed anime is just my idea of a good time... there's passion and skill behind most, if not all of the Japanese voice actors. al least from what I've heard. and its 2009... one would think literacy wouldn't be a problem. i didn't mean dub only, but... i mean come on... it should at least be considered, and not smashed aside by dubbed, as we all know always happens... and is perhaps the most potent variable when considering its popularity(value).
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
First off, Chipmunk, you need to practice using proper grammar, especially capitalization rules. We don't expect perfection on that front, but in these forums we do expect a better effort than you're giving so far. (If English is not your first language then please specify that and we mods may give you a bit more leeway.)

Second, restarting a three month old thread wouldn't be a problem if you were completely on the original topic, but as others have noted, your posts are a not-uncommon quasi-economic rant about the feasibility of anime distribution, not the C&D issue. For that reason, this thread is getting locked. If you want to discuss that issue further, start up a new thread for it in the anime forums. (Be forewarned, however, that the issues you bring up have already been much-discussed, and you're likely to get a lot of people disagreeing with you on the feasibility of what you're saying. And we won't even bring up the sub/dub issue.)

And Kireek: This is a warning. Two-word posts like that are not tolerated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11