• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

While we're talking about license resuces, why stop with CPM? There's plenty of Geneon, Synch-Point, Tokyopop, and Super Techno Arts titles that are also wallowing in limbo. (Does anyone know if Viz still has Flame of Recca, Boys Over Flowers, and Ceres: Celestial Legend, or have their rights to those shows expired as well?)

Agreed! Geneon (Trigun, Haibane Renmei, Lain, Niea_7, Texholnyze, Paranoia Agent) and Synch-Point (FLCL) have stuff that shouldn't disappear/ go for too much on Ebay. Funi/Bandai/ADV/Media Blasters should get on those above-mentioned titles.

I'm not quite sure about Tokyopop's anime choices - didn't Funi get GTO and Initial D already?

And until you mentioned it, I had never even heard of Super Techno Arts - I can't judge the quality of what they released, either.

As for CPM's licenses, I hope animego gets the second Urusei Yatsura movie, and that somebody will pick up A-Ko.

Funimation doesn't own the licenses to GTO and Initial D. They only distributed them for TokyoPop, similar to their deal with Geneon. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after those titles when TP's licenses expire.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
I'm glad for World of Narue (Anime Selects ran that on On Demand about six months ago and I felt it was one of the better "free girlfriend" series.)

Agreed. I've always felt that the series deserves more attention than it got, and certainly more than some other examples of the genre that did get a lot of attention.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Now this is an interesting turn of events. How many people expected ADV - instead of Funimation - to be the one to step up and do this? At least two of them are solid and well-proven titles which highly deserve to be kept in circulation, too.

Probably shouldn't be a big surprise, though, considering that this is what Funimation has been doing for the past year and a half: rescuing titles whose production work (and, notably, dubbing) has already been done, so the actual release costs are minimal. Still, it's great to see signs of life from ADV.

Key, ADV is the last company I thought I'd ever see license anything now and days. Its been several years since I've watched World Of Narue, so a re-release might be interesting to watch.

This is proof that ADV isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah ADV!

GotF is one of the titles that should never be lost. Barefoot Gen movies are another example of titles that should never be lost. I have the CPM version of GotF.

I never got to buy NTHT and I'm glad that ADV rescued it.
Tratious

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
alright adv is still kicking, awesome!
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
UTENA. Please, somebody, grant this wish. I'm one of the lucky ones who owns the entire original CPM release set, but I will buy it again, regardless of cost.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote

Here we have the original CPM dvd screencap to the left, and the newly remastered Japanese dvd to the right.

There were so many things wrong with the original CPM Utena dvds. Poor master source aside, the hard-subs with the music lyrics take the cake.

Now it's all been remasted for an HD Japanese release. Add to that they animated in some little easter-eggs, 5.1 surround sound, thrown in the bonus of the live action musical (ooo, I could throw away my vhs copy), and some lovely new art nouveau inspired artwork and you have many salivating fans.

But that's 300 for the first half. I'm enough of an Utena nut to import the Japanese release, unsubbed and all, but I've been holding out for a licensing miracle on this side of the ocean.

Come on North American distros, make me the happiest fangirl in the world! I'll give you money! I don't care if it's the CPM quality. I only managed to buy half the series before it went out of print here. Those used DVDS cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Here we have the original CPM dvd screencap to the left, and the newly remastered Japanese dvd to the right.

There were so many things wrong with the original CPM Utena dvds. Poor master source aside, the hard-subs with the music lyrics take the cake.

Ohhhh..... the remastered... it's so... beautiful.

I have the first volume of the CPM Utena dvds that I bought used, and I was surprised at just how poor quality the video is. If only we could get it remastered overe here....
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I'd pay a lot of money for even a barebones release of that remastered edition.

I don't think anyone's going to release it here - at least, I remain cautiously skeptical that that would ever happen - but if it did, that'd be goddamn christmas.
Dante80

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Gj ADV, both these titles needed rescuing. I have both from CPM, and will definitely consider buying them again, especially if we can get a better video stream for them...NTHT is my favorite anime "of all times" after all, and it is very rare to find a drama as touching as HnH. Very Happy

Also,

Quote:

I second the notion. Utena needs more love. Going for the origimal though, is way out of my league...Anime cry

http://www.yesasia.com/global/revolutionary-girl-utena-dvd-box-part-1-dvd-first-press-limited-edition/1011077798-0-0-0-en/info.html
http://www.yesasia.com/global/revolutionary-girl-utena-dvd-box-part-2-dvd-first-press-limited-edition/1011194991-0-0-0-en/info.html

Last edited by Dante80 on Wed May 06, 2009 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Excellent, excellent news on CPM license rescues, especially NTHT. Glad to see Narue and GotF (though I'm not as high on the film as many others have), though M.D. Geist is both unexpected...and expected (sort of up ADV's alley, perhaps part of a package deal?).

Now, if someone would just rescue the Lodoss War series, Venus Wars, VOTOMS, Geobreeders, Legend of Himiko, and Cat Soup, as well as keeping ones like A Wind Named Amnesia, Time Stranger, and Alien Nine in print. Heck, someone just rescue their whole catalog (unlikely but would be nice; some of the "less good" titles could be left out, though).

As for Utena, that's just a license waiting for a rerelease date. It's a matter of "when" than "if".

100% agreed.

I will walk a mile for VOTOMS.

Patlabor needs a boxed set re-release like the one that VOTOMS got. I've bought the discs on sale here and there, but I'd love to have a nice, big box for both the OVAs and the TV series.

Ditto Lodoss. I think that was one of the first anime I ever bought...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I don't think anyone's going to release it here - at least, I remain cautiously skeptical that that would ever happen - but if it did, that'd be goddamn christmas.

One of the best series ever created, remastered to look that much better? It would a hundred Christmases rolled up into one amazing Super-Christmasfest of joy and fanlove!

I love Utena. It took me almost 3 years of gradually borrowing DVDs from people to actually see it, and I've always wanted to own it. It's like the shoujo version of Evangelion, only better (IMnsHO).
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
I, too, would be interested in an Utena remastered release. I started renting the series a long time ago from a local anime rental store, but they didn't have all the DVDs, so I never got to finish it.

Also, I'm glad to hear ADV is still managing to survive.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Grico wrote:
Perhaps companies think Utena is too long? Have we seen any recent license rescues of series longer than one season? I think it is certainly worth the risk, Utena is a good series that would have decent appeal in new shiny thinpacks I would think.

Um, isn't One Piece recent enough? (Though I must admit that FUNi had some real guts licensing that title.)
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Good, the two best titles CPM had are safe.

Wait.. what... WHAT?! M.D. [expletive] WHAT??!!!

ADV, HOW COULD YOU??!?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9